Which Fan Type Are You?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/62564/the-20-types-of-depressed-sports-fans

I fall into:

16. The Fan Who Suddenly Has to go for a Walk

This fan responds to adversity by removing himself from the situation. Sometimes, this will be accompanied by a hurried explanation. Often, he’ll just quietly get up and leave. You may or may not ever see him again.

If you find yourself watching an important game with this fan and he announces that he's leaving, let him go. Do not try to talk him into staying. There’s a reason he doesn't trust himself to be around other human beings right now. You do not want to find out what that reason is.

------------------------------------------------

During the SEC Championship game and the Falcons playoff game, I just walked outside and lit up a cigarette until the game was finished. I just couldn't stand to be in front of my TV any longer.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aint over till the full figured lady sings:

No matter how many points we are down, I develope the plan in my head for us to

come back and win the game.

We can be down 24 points with less than a minute to play and I still have a plan.

Why the TV wont listen to me, remains a mystery to this day.

A blend of these two:

18. The Non-Reaction Fan

This fan barely acknowledges what’s just happened. In fact, you have to study him carefully to find any reaction at all. He might slump slightly, or offer a subtle head shake. There’s a slim chance that he might mumble something indecipherable under his breath.

But that’s it. Whatever chaos is unfolding around him, he won’t acknowledge it. If you didn’t know any better, you’d almost think he was at peace with what he'd just seen. There’s a sense of serenity to him, like a still pond on a windless morning.

Make no mistake: No fan is hurting worse than this one.

20. The Fan Who Manages to Maintain Perspective

Yes, this fan is disappointed in the outcome of the game. But he also understands that a game played by a collection of strangers is not going to have any impact on the truly important things in his life, like his health, his friendships and his family. Put simply, he understands that there are higher priorities in the world than who wins or loses a sporting event.

I’ve been watching sports for over 30 years and have never met this fan, but I suppose it’s theoretically possible that they could exist.

Guest Masbinacci

Nope. I never walk away till its over, though I walked away in the GB playoff game with 4 min left in the 4th qtr.

yeah I still could nto walk away during that game. I stayed chanting until the last few minutes. and I cheered that they made it that far.

A lot of people fall into thinking it is 100% superbowl or bust.

having a losing season means you got a lot of work and moves to do

a winning season is nice and still need some improvemtns.

going to te playoffs is better.....because 1 out of 4 teams go. (so for us to go 4 out of 5 years is WOW to me)

- and for us to lose to teams that made it to the superbowl has to tell you something)

winning a playoff game is really nice.

winning the NFC awesome

winning the Superbowl is mind blowing.

2. The Single F-Bomb Fan

This fan is a traditionalist. He or she responds to every negative twist and turn with a single f-bomb, followed by a brooding silence. Simple. Timeless. Almost, dare we say, elegant.

This fan actually comes in two sub-varieties: The short f-bomb, or the drawn-out f-bomb. The former gets bonus points for volume, while the latter is aiming for endurance.

This is most definitely meThe type of F-Bomb depends on how F**k'd up the situation is.

Oh I'm definitely a number 18. I'm calm on the outside but Mt. Vesuvius underneath. lol

18. The Non-Reaction Fan

This fan barely acknowledges what’s just happened. In fact, you have to study him carefully to find any reaction at all. He might slump slightly, or offer a subtle head shake. There’s a slim chance that he might mumble something indecipherable under his breath.

But that’s it. Whatever chaos is unfolding around him, he won’t acknowledge it. If you didn’t know any better, you’d almost think he was at peace with what he'd just seen. There’s a sense of serenity to him, like a still pond on a windless morning.

Make no mistake: No fan is hurting worse than this one.

2. The Single F-Bomb Fan

This fan is a traditionalist. He or she responds to every negative twist and turn with a single f-bomb, followed by a brooding silence. Simple. Timeless. Almost, dare we say, elegant.

This fan actually comes in two sub-varieties: The short f-bomb, or the drawn-out f-bomb. The former gets bonus points for volume, while the latter is aiming for endurance.

with a walk away thrown in LOL

19. The Catatonic Fan

This is The Non-Reaction Fan’s more extreme cousin. Catatonic Fans don’t move. They stare straight ahead. They don’t seem to be breathing. They don’t respond to external stimuli at all. You can walk right up to them and touch their eyeball, and they won’t blink. There is a non-zero chance that they may actually be dead.

The guy in the no. 17 Wendel Clark jersey at the end of that Leafs video may be the greatest Catatonic Fan of all time.

Two and 19.

19. The Catatonic Fan

This is The Non-Reaction Fan’s more extreme cousin. Catatonic Fans don’t move. They stare straight ahead. They don’t seem to be breathing. They don’t respond to external stimuli at all. You can walk right up to them and touch their eyeball, and they won’t blink. There is a non-zero chance that they may actually be dead.

This is usually my first reaction :

2. The Single F-Bomb Fan

This fan is a traditionalist. He or she responds to every negative twist and turn with a single f-bomb, followed by a brooding silence. Simple. Timeless. Almost, dare we say, elegant.This fan actually comes in two sub-varieties: The short f-bomb, or the drawn-out f-bomb. The former gets bonus points for volume, while the latter is aiming for endurance.

And when I calm down :

20. The Fan Who Manages to Maintain Perspective

Yes, this fan is disappointed in the outcome of the game. But he also understands that a game played by a collection of strangers is not going to have any impact on the truly important things in his life, like his health, his friendships and his family. Put simply, he understands that there are higher priorities in the world than who wins or loses a sporting event.

Edited by Falcon@Denmark

Back in the day, I was a huge soccer fan - But I actually lost interest in the sport because of some of the fans, that couldn't separate the sport from "real life".

Our local club had a huge fan base, and the atmosphere at the games was very special. People were singing even if the team lost, but things started to change in the early 90's.

Some fan fractions started fights with the opponents fans and vandalism became normal after games. Even fans of the same team was sometimes targeted by the extreme fan fractions, and I slowly lost interest in attending the games .. and after a while in the sport in general.

Fan type 20 is actually quite common, and after seeing the opposite, I pride myself of being one. I get all emotional during the game, but shortly after the game, it's back to my normal life.