N F L To Push Draft To May, And Start N F L Year Earlier

Bring It

I don't know that it's going to make that much of a difference. There was a pretty good amount of time when free agents weren't really being signed before the draft this year. Teams didn't have money to spend or didn't want to spend it on the available players. I don't know that that's going to change if they move the draft back a few weeks. If you don't want any of the available players, you're not going to sign one over the difference in a few weeks.

They're doing this b/c of the 5 weeks+ between minicamps and training camp, when nothing is happening. 2 to 3 weeks is a much shorter time for the average fan to have to wait, and they want the NFL to be a sport that average fans follow year round. In addition, they, eventually, will succeed at lengthening the NFL season to 18 games, and this is, almost guaranteedly preparation for that eventual move.

Wish they leave it be, it's long enough waiting for the draft to come as it is ....postpone it a couple more weeks, and draft gurus heads would explode ...

It's a trade-off, as FA would start earlier.

As a fan, it would work for me since it balances out. Additionally, I see how this benefits current NFL players as well.

I'm a fan of the change.

This is pointless.

There is already more than enough time between the start of the league year and the draft, and I can't see the benefit of starting the league year in February before the combine. It's just going to make it more diffifult for teams to retain their best players (which is a bad thing), becasue they won't have that 3-4 week window to negotiate and restructure deals etc. before the league year starts.

GM's should be free to focus on the combine and free agency at differnt times. Expecting GM's to focus on the combine, whilst also attempting to negotite with their own FA's and pursue other team's FA's, is madness.

As for moving the draft, it will eliminate some of the dead time between the draft and OTA's, but it just means another 2-3 weeks of listening to the same draft chat and speculation that already drags on for far too long.

Sounds absolutely terrible. I hate waiting so long for the draft. They just need to leave things alone. It is getting old.

Goddell was put into his position for One Reason.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and in spite of tradition he is doing a whale of a job.

hjerry nailed it.

Goodell has an infatuation with changing stuff each year.

The NFL will be much different in just 3 years from now.

They're doing this b/c of the 5 weeks+ between minicamps and training camp, when nothing is happening. 2 to 3 weeks is a much shorter time for the average fan to have to wait, and they want the NFL to be a sport that average fans follow year round. In addition, they, eventually, will succeed at lengthening the NFL season to 18 games, and this is, almost guaranteedly preparation for that eventual move.

Yep, it is just a matter of time before 18 game seasons.

Goddell was put into his position for One Reason.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and in spite of tradition he is doing a whale of a job.

hjerry nailed it.

Yeah I understand it is all money driven.... I just think it sucks. I am still not a fan of the draft starting thursday night. I really liked when the 1st and 2nd round were the first night

Well this is dumb. In the new era of 20 mill QBs and salary cap limitations, the NFL draft is soooo important. I would rather have the draft first and then FA. The NFL has put much higher emphasis on drafting intelligently. Signing a high priced vet would be my last resort as a GM. I would much rather see what positions I have been able to fill with cheap rookies and THEN as a last resort go through FA picking up replacements. It would be hard though with seeing how signing your own FAs would fit into that. Say this year for example. If we didnt sign William Moore, we would have had to draft a SS to replace him, but what would we do if the draft had already happened?

I would also like to not give these college guys all that time to work on some silly combine numbers. A guy that trains for the 40 for two months may run a 4.3 at the combine, but that isnt what his football playing speed is. I wouldnt mind having the combine soon after the CFB season and see really how these guys have conditioned throughout a real football season. Sure 40 times and bench press numbers might go down, but in the grand ranking of things the numbers would still have the same correlation.

IE Trufant may run a 4.4-4.5 if he doesnt train for months on his 40, but Banks would run a 4.7 instead of 4.6. So Trufants superior speed would still be shown.

I just think given EXTRA time to practice, we are going to begin seeing numbers put up at the combine that are in no way reflective of actual football playing talent.

Give a kid 5 months to practice for the 40 and I gaurantee you he will knock it out of the park if he is motivated.

Yeah I understand it is all money driven.... I just think it sucks. I am still not a fan of the draft starting thursday night. I really liked when the 1st and 2nd round were the first night

Oh you know it man.

The draft took away the one thing that I really liked.

Go to the Pub have some drinks, throw darts and watch the draft with me Pals

on Friday night.

By the time we pick I would be hammered, on fire at the dart boards and everybody having

a real good time.

After the Falcons pick it was about time to wind it down and have the bar keep call the cab.

There are not many legitimate excuses to go out and get hammered, but that was my favorite.

Guest Masbinacci

got a question........... during those 5 waiting weeks, can the team bring them in to watch video's?

got a question........... during those 5 waiting weeks, can the team bring them in to watch video's?

Under the current CBA, teams cannot require players to do anything before training camp outside of minicamp and OTAs. They will have voluntary workouts during the offseason, but, as the name implies, they are voluntary. Players can, of course, choose to come in and watch tape/ workout/ etc., but teams cannot require them to do it.

People need to remember that the time spent preparing for the draft is already shorter than it used to be. As more and more teams have been added over the years, the Superbowl has been pushed back to allow more teams to enter the playoffs. This, of course, also creates more revenue. In the future, there will be two significant things that will happen, which will require a longer season, more teams and more games. The two are inextricably linked. More and more cities are going to want their own team, and more games will be required to allow those new teams to play all the other existing teams. In addition, having more teams, will also necessitate longer playoffs to allow more teams to enter the postseason. If this happens (it will), it could potentially push the Superbowl into late February, with 18 game seasons, a potential second bye week, and now 4 postseason rounds before the Superbowl. Obviously, having the combine take place the week after the Superbowl would be unnacceptable, so it would instead happen in Mid-March, also moving the Draft, and minicamps and so on. Like it or not, eventually, we will be having 40 teams, playing 18 games a piece, with two bye weeks, before entering a 5 week postseason, and the offseason will go from 6 months to 5.

Oh, and for those that do not wish to read my long post, here is a simpler explanation.

GoodellMoneyDive.gif