Biggest Wtf Of The Offseason ?

Cutting our best D lineman is up there ....but to me, I am still scratching my head over the way OT was handled. I mean, I can understand cutting arguably our best O lineman if it WAS a pure cap move, but if that is the plan, then why let your #1 swing tackle walk when you could have resigned him dirt cheap ?

Svitek proved his value by outplaying Baker when he went down. Good swing tackles dont grow on trees like some here think.

At this point if a starting OT goes down, we will be treated to seeing Johnson or Reynolds playing OT, and if Baker goes down, I assume we move Holmes back to LT and kick Johnson or Reynolds to RT. If it IS Reynolds, we got to refill RG as well.

Bottom line, I would have felt much better about the OT position, and our O line in general had we kept Svitek. I am not counting chickens on the UDFA OTs, they may be huge, but that does not mean they are good. Should have kept my man Svitek...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clabo was not arguably our best OL. He was arguably the worst, gave up penalties at the wrong time and struggled against quality opponents. He is still a good RT but not for the money.

So who was better ? ...Baker ? McClure ? You agree with letting our valuable swing walk for 1 million dollars ?

Agreed. Keeping Svitek definitely made sense if we were losing Clabo. Seems like they didn't make the Clabo decision til late. Picking up a cheap RT in FA also would have made sense. Was very surprised when they did neither. You gotta have a guy who can step in and at least be decent if the rookies fall apart.

So who was better ? ...Baker ? McClure ? You agree with letting our valuable swing walk for 1 million dollars ?

Baker was better for the whole season. Svitek is a career back up swing tackle. I hoped that falcons could resign him but it would mean cutting some of the guys who coaching staff saw more potential or value compared to the ceiling of Svitek.

Agreed. Keeping Svitek definitely made sense if we were losing Clabo. Seems like they didn't make the Clabo decision til late. Picking up a cheap RT in FA also would have made sense. Was very surprised when they did neither. You gotta have a guy who can step in and at least be decent if the rookies fall apart.

People are excited about the big UDFAs, but big does not equate to good. Like I said, Svitek was a known commodity, prolly one of the better swings in the NFL ...

I don't think there is any argument that could be made that Tyson Clabo was our worst O lineman. I think that is patently ridiculous.

In the key games or games against quality opponents, going back to the GB game in 2011, HOU in 2011, NYG play off game in 2011 and against qualityLDE . Last year was a disaster and played very inconsistently and gave up ton of penalties which are as good as sacks.

In the key games or games against quality opponents, going back to the GB game in 2011, HOU in 2011, NYG play off game in 2011 and against qualityLDE . Last year was a disaster and played very inconsistently and gave up ton of penalties which are as good as sacks.

You must be high. Clabo had 3 holding penalties all year, and oustide of one bad performance against Johnson, he was rock solid all year.

People are excited about the big UDFAs, but big does not equate to good. Like I said, Svitek was a known commodity, prolly one of the better swings in the NFL ...

on the other hand UDFA is not equal to bad. Some of the past I linemen that people have been slobbering over were UDFA.

I don't think there is any argument that could be made that Tyson Clabo was our worst O lineman. I think that is patently ridiculous.

Clabo struggled in three of the first four games. But after the CAR debacle against Charles Johnson, that mofo didn't allow ONE sack. Not one bro. All the way through the NFCCG. On top of that he was our best run blocking Olineman.

I wasn't totally sure at first but I'm more and more confident there are some clueless mofos around here about Olinemen. And I'm not just talking about Dimi.

Oh and Freebird is so right about VeeTek.

Just wait til the OlineGuru sees this thread. He will probably rip some new as holes.

You must be high. Clabo had 3 holding penalties all year, and oustide of one bad performance against Johnson, he was rock solid all year.

Clabo gave up 6 penalties last year, 1 which was declined. Lead the team in the QB hits given up. He gave up two crucial hits in NFCG, accounting for almost half of the total hits. In Tampa game in 2011, The Falcons were in red zone trying to win the game, he gets a penalty and pushes the offense back. In GB 2011 game, two big penalties negating 45 yard gain. HOU game got Ryan killed with multiple hits. NYG same. He struggled against quality opponents and that goes for this years NFCG. Clabo had knack for screwing up at the most crucial moments of the game.

Clabo struggled in three of the first four games. But after the CAR debacle against Charles Johnson, that mofo didn't allow ONE sack. Not one bro. All the way through the NFCCG. On top of that he was our best run blocking Olineman.

I wasn't totally sure at first but I'm more and more confident there are some clueless mofos around here about Olinemen. And I'm not just talking about Dimi.

Oh and Freebird is so right about VeeTek.

Just wait til the OlineGuru sees this thread. He will probably rip some new as holes.

To me it is the fact he came soooo cheap, was almost criminal to let him walk, he saved our azzes ala Weiner ....it just makes no sense, maybe the injury was worse than we know...

Clabo gave up 6 penalties last year, 1 which was declined. Lead the team in the QB hits given up. He gave up two crucial hits in NFCG, accounting for twice the total hits. In Tampa game in 2011, The Falcons were in red zone trying to win the game, he gets a penalty and pushes the offense back. In GB 2011 game, two big penalties negating 45 yard gain. HOU game got Ryan killed with multiple hits. NYG same. He struggled against quality opponents and that goes for this years NFCG.

No need arguing with Peyton once he's proven wrong he starts ignoring your post and comment with other peeps.

I'll admit though I like Peyton and he knows his stuff.