Cnnsi: Each Team's Most Pressing Question As Minicamp Looms

g-dawg

http://nfl.si.com/2013/05/09/each-teams-most-pressing-question-as-minicamp-looms/

Atlanta Falcons: Is Lamar Holmes capable of filling Tyson Clabo’s shoes?

No one but the Falcons’ coaching staff knows this answer — Holmes played all of seven snaps during his rookie season. After cutting Clabo, though, Atlanta has no choice but to drop Holmes in at right tackle and hope for the best. The Falcons’ offense is built to get the ball out of Matt Ryan’s hands quickly, but Holmes still has to protect his edge and help clear space for Steven Jackson.

G-Dawg: I don't really get it. I understand that Lamar Holmes was relatively unknown name going into the 2012 NFL Draft and he did not play much last year as he was coming off a toe injury(pre-draft) and learning. Having said that, the strength of Holmes in college was pass protection - he was a great pass protector but needed lots of work in run blocking. I'm not as confident how much of a run blocker Holmes will be out of the gate - but he is a big powerful man and we basically have two left tackles playing on the line in Baker and Holmes. Holmes is likely an upgrade in pass protection over the declining Clabo. I guess for those that don't follow team closely I could see how they think its a concern - but I am not concerned and believe Holmes will win the Right Tackle spot and do just fine.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://nfl.si.com/2013/05/09/each-teams-most-pressing-question-as-minicamp-looms/

Atlanta Falcons: Is Lamar Holmes capable of filling Tyson Clabo’s shoes?

No one but the Falcons’ coaching staff knows this answer — Holmes played all of seven snaps during his rookie season. After cutting Clabo, though, Atlanta has no choice but to drop Holmes in at right tackle and hope for the best. The Falcons’ offense is built to get the ball out of Matt Ryan’s hands quickly, but Holmes still has to protect his edge and help clear space for Steven Jackson.

G-Dawg: I don't really get it. I understand that Lamar Holmes was relatively unknown name going into the 2012 NFL Draft and he did not play much last year as he was coming off a toe injury(pre-draft) and learning. Having said that, the strength of Holmes in college was pass protection - he was a great pass protector but needed lots of work in run blocking. I'm not as confident how much of a run blocker Holmes will be out of the gate - but he is a big powerful man and we basically have two left tackles playing on the line in Baker and Holmes. Holmes is likely an upgrade in pass protection over the declining Clabo. I guess for those that don't follow team closely I could see how they think its a concern - but I am not concerned and believe Holmes will win the Right Tackle spot and do just fine.

Well I would say that I follow the Falcons pretty close. I have zero confidence in Holmes because he is a complete unknown. It doesn't make any sense to me that ppl are convinced he is ready to play on our championship level team. I have no worries about Reynolds... he will be fine. Hopefully Holmes comes in and play well, but there is nothing that makes me believe it.

I'm not that worried about Holmes, if Smitty and TD were that worried they would not have cut Clabo in the first place.

Yep, that in and of itself makes me ok with it. TD and Smith are not idiots they have earned the right to be trusted and that's exactly what I'm going to do in this situation. Seems alot of people were complaining about the O-line and D-line and now those people are complaining we made changes to the O-line and D-line that they were complaining about. I'd be much more worried if our lines stayed exactly the same from last year.

Edited by MAD597

Yep, that in and of itself makes me ok with it. TD and Smith are not idiots they have earned the right to be trusted and that's exactly what I'm going to do in this situation. Seems alot of people were complaining about the O-line and D-line and now those people are complaining we made changes to the O-line and D-line that they were complaining about. I'd be much more worried if our lines stayed exactly the same from last year.

^^^ this. I don't pretend to know how it's going to turn out but at least they're trying something different. Lots of folks on here clamor for us to draft oline but don't like to admit that we've invested in oline a fairly good bit the last few drafts. We just haven't given any of them a true chance to step up. It's time to find out if any of these guys are starting material

Its wait and see for me I'm really interested to see the TC battles and if Mike Johnson or Holmes can step in there and full the breach.

I actually don't mind the inexperience upfront as I'm confident of the competitive nature that has been instilled upfront the best player will play and I'm also quite high on Pat Hill as a coach.

Not to discredit what Clabo and McClure did, but they were both getting up in age and their play was starting to decline.

Konz should be able to slide over and man the middle. Physically he would be a instant upgrade over McClure but mentally is still to be determine. McClure was good at calling out the blitzes.

Clabo was a just a big body, blue collar type player. He didn't do anything special but just went out and played. That's what I think Holmes will bring none the less.

Reynolds is the guy I'm worried about, especially with him coming off back surgery.

I'm certainly pulling for big Holmes, but I have to believe any thinking person that watched his run blocking in pre season would be a bit concerned. He's a lunger and a diver. We knew exactly what we had in Clabo which was a better than average RT, but Holmes has the upside to be better in the long run.

The good news is, Hill should be able to correct that fairly easily, and Holmes has all the physical tools to be a road grader, Hill has been working with him all year. But he needs game experience, as many snaps as they can give him in pre season.

They left McClure in there all last season... I cannot trust thier line choices

They let the Jamaal Anderson/ Ray Edwatds experiments last.

They gave Dunta #1 corner money.

They kept Turner ahead of Quizz on the depth chart last seaon.

They have made mistakes so I will trust them but I still worry about it because they aren't perfect.

Well I would say that I follow the Falcons pretty close. I have zero confidence in Holmes because he is a complete unknown. It doesn't make any sense to me that ppl are convinced he is ready to play on our championship level team. I have no worries about Reynolds... he will be fine. Hopefully Holmes comes in and play well, but there is nothing that makes me believe it.

I guess you have no confidence in any new starter/rookie, coaching staff, GM, or yourself getting a new job? Because its an unknown?

They left McClure in there all last season... I cannot trust thier line choices

They let the Jamaal Anderson/ Ray Edwatds experiments last.

They gave Dunta #1 corner money.

They kept Turner ahead of Quizz on the depth chart last seaon.

They have made mistakes so I will trust them but I still worry about it because they aren't perfect.

Lol what?

I guess you have no confidence in any new starter/rookie, coaching staff, GM, or yourself getting a new job? Because its an unknown?

Nope just 3rd round picks that were considered huge reaches at the time they were drafted that spend the majority of the season on the practice squad.

I hope he is good, but anyone that says they have confidence in him is just being optimistic. Realistically no one except the coaches have a clue about this guy, and that goes for you too. Only time will tell. One thing is for sure..... we are going to need him to play well and protect our investment we are going to be making shortly in #2

Edited by RYNE

Lol what?

Pretty much everyone says that we will be fine because Smith and TD have made the moves.

I am saying they are only human and they have made mistakes before so that isn't really an argument.

I am not confident in anyone I haven't seen perform on a NFL feild before. So I am excited for Training camp.

TL;DR The argument of Holmes will be fine because TD and Smith got rid of Clabo isn't a good one

The argument of Holmes will be fine because TD and Smith got rid of Clabo isn't a good one

Yes it is. Could have gotten the same cap relief they got by cutting Clabo by re-structuring him. If they cut him without Holmes being ready, they're insane. They may make mistakes, they aren't crazy.

Guest Masbinacci

Pat Hill remains a mystery to me.

This season will reveal if he is good or not due to the release of

Turner and the signing of Steven Jackson.

Agreed. cause they even wanted to trade Turner last year for Jackson.

In 2008 I felt the same way about moving a 2nd year UDFA (Dahl)backup LT to play RG and about moving a 3rd year UDFA from backup Guard(Clabo) to starting RT MM and Smith did that

This Holmes move seems a little better because he is a 3rd rnd pick by Smith/Koetter/Pat Hill.

Edited by delaigle

This is the year we find out if Dimi is the draft guru his nutt huggers constantly claim he is.

I say he was bailed out by the McKay/Reeves trench players like Abe, Clabo, McClure, Babineaux, Blalock, Weiner, Dahl, Grady, Chauncey, etc.

There are only two trench players left from the McKay era. Babineaux and Blalock.

We will be forced to rely on the guru and the likes of SackMaker Baker, Reynolds Wrap, Surelock Holmes, King Konz, WTF is a Corey Peters, Jelly, MyJohnson, The Beer Man, Mass, Travian, Mapongo, Matthews, Goodman, etc. He already whiffed on studs like RayRay, Dead President and Sid The Kid. He let his only late round gem walk to the Raiders. We will soon see.

This is the year we find out if Dimi is the draft guru his nutt huggers constantly claim he is.

I say he was bailed out by the McKay/Reeves trench players like Abe, Clabo, McClure, Babineaux, Blalock, Weiner, Dahl, Grady, Chauncey, etc.

There are only two trench players left from the McKay era. Babineaux and Blalock.

We will be forced to rely on the guru and the likes of SackMaker Baker, Reynolds Wrap, Surelock Holmes, King Konz, WTF is a Corey Peters, Jelly, MyJohnson, The Beer Man, Travian, Mapongo, Matthews, Goodman, etc. He already whiffed on studs like RayRay, Dead President and Sid The Kid. He let his only late round gem walk to the Raiders. We will soon see.

But let's see

Dahl played 1 game before Smith got here

Blalock was benched in favor of Batiste by Patrino

Clabo was a backup Guard until MM/Smith moved him

Patrino/McKay cut Grady TD/Smith resigned him

and you left out so many greats--Mallard, Foster, Quarterman, Lake, Lacy, Ojinnaka, Lavalais, Shropshire, and many others

Edited by delaigle

Pretty much everyone says that we will be fine because Smith and TD have made the moves.

I am saying they are only human and they have made mistakes before so that isn't really an argument.

I am not confident in anyone I haven't seen perform on a NFL feild before. So I am excited for Training camp.

TL;DR The argument of Holmes will be fine because TD and Smith got rid of Clabo isn't a good one

as falconidae was saying - Falcons were not "forced" to cut Clabo - it was a move most likely made born out of confidence of what they had on the roster lined up for Right Tackle.

We will be forced to rely on the guru and the likes of SackMaker Baker, Reynolds Wrap, Surelock Holmes, King Konz, WTF is a Corey Peters, Jelly, MyJohnson, The Beer Man, Travian, Mapongo, Matthews, Goodman, etc. He already whiffed on studs like RayRay, Dead President and Sid The Kid. He let his only late round gem walk to the Raiders. We will soon see.

<insert SIGH here>