Peria Jerry

Yes, I know PJ has been seen as a "bust," and he is "injury prone." With the release of Vance Walker and the team not choosing to draft anyone I have to think the big wigs believe in Jerry to some degree. Here's a quote from a TATF member from last November when Jerry was hurt

snapback.pngJRid, on 05 November 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Woohoo! Smitty just said Jerry's injury is not that bad.

Fatboi replied

Whew!!! That's good. A lot of ppl underestimate what he's been for us this year. It doesn't show up in his stats. It shows up in Abe's stats. His job is to eat bodies and he does a great job of it. Hope he gets back in soon.

I must admit I was a big proponent of drafting DT early or at least mid round but let's face it- Jerry IS eating up two blockers regularly.

Edited by James Pinkham

Just remember we all hated Sam Baker last year. He then got healthy and proved himself. Just like Smith said he would. If Smith thinks Jerry can do the same thing, I have to trust him. He gets paid millions to make these kind of decisions. I dont.

If Jerry can get healthy we might finally have that decent DT we are looking for opposite Babs. IMO I would be fine if Jerry could at least rotate with Peters and be impactful.

Just remember we all hated Sam Baker last year. He then got healthy and proved himself. Just like Smith said he would. If Smith thinks Jerry can do the same thing, I have to trust him. He gets paid millions to make these kind of decisions. I dont.

If Jerry can get healthy we might finally have that decent DT we are looking for opposite Babs. IMO I would be fine if Jerry could at least rotate with Peters and be impactful.

I like the way you think!

Unless the spirit of Jerome Brown takes over his body, I don't see it happening. He is barely serviceable in my opinion.

I agree that he did look a little better last season, and there were times where he was doing a good job of eating up 2 blockers. I don't root against him or any Falcon unlike some people. I go into every season/game hoping he breaks out, and I did the same for J. Anderson and even A. Bruce as a kid.

I hope the guy becomes a J. Brown, W. Sapp, or even a Kevin Williams, or he could gain 50lbs and be a T. Washington type guy. I just don't see it happening, and depending on what he does in camp vs other guys, I could see him cut. Hope I am wrong.

Edited by jeffro2000

Yes, I know PJ has been seen as a "bust," and he is "injury prone." With the release of Vance Walker and the team not choosing to draft anyone I have to think the big wigs believe in Jerry to some degree. Here's a quote from a TATF member from last November when Jerry was hurt

Fatboi replied

Whew!!! That's good. A lot of ppl underestimate what he's been for us this year. It doesn't show up in his stats. It shows up in Abe's stats. His job is to eat bodies and he does a great job of it. Hope he gets back in soon.

I must admit I was a big proponent of drafting DT early or at least mid round but let's face it- Jerry IS eating up two blockers regularly.

I've been hearing the blocker eating myth for years now. The last time someone mentioned it I looked at every play of one of our games and Jelly got double the exact same number of times Babineaux got doubled. Most DTs get doubled half the time. Dude is a total ghost. Go look at him getting singledhandedly manhandled in the NFCCG.

And to the guy saying he may finally be healthy now. How many years does it take to heal from a knee injury? He injured his knee in September of 2009. That was dam near four years ago. Jeez.

Ah yes, my time of the year! Mr. Jerry fits my off season viewpoint, upgrade or get out! It applies to computers, phones, spouses and Falcons players.

If we can find any player that is even slightly better than Jerry, he should be gone. The NFL has no room for loyalty or sympathy since the only goal is to field a better winning team,

I've been hearing the blocker eating myth for years now. The last time someone mentioned it I looked at every play of one of our games and Jelly got double the exact same number of times Babineaux got doubled. Most DTs get doubled half the time. Dude is a total ghost. Go look at him getting singledhandedly manhandled in the NFCCG.

And to the guy saying he may finally be healthy now. How many years does it take to heal from a knee injury? He injured his knee in September of 2009. That was dam near four years ago. Jeez.

Not true. Depends on who you wanna isolate. And every DT doesn't eat bodies unless he's quick off the ball. In Jerry's case he's quick off the ball but didn't have the strength to get off the double team in his knee. You said it yourself. He got about as much double teams as babs. Are you gonna leave Babs 1 on 1? Highly doubt it. Everything doesn't always show up in the numbers. It might show up in another players numbers. Like Abe. When I made that post Abe was doin his thing. One of Peyton's picks was because of pressure Peria had in his face. Heck Abe got hurt because he and Jerry met at the qb in the Tampa game. Jerry flushed him out. I'll see how he does this year. He's not a sack machine but he's still quick of the ball and disruptive. He hurt his knee again as well last year. Maybe that had something to do with his dip in play because he started the season well. As far as the NFCCG goes who DIDN'T get manhandled?? They were too confused to do any good. The whole Dline.

Edited by TheFatboi

Fatboi replied

Two things at work here. First off Jerry's play is adequate, but its hardly elite or even close. Its not taking up double teams that matters, its actually defeating those double teams. Brees loves Peria Jerry. Jerry allows Brees to step up into the pocket time after time after time...Second, as Falcons fans we rarely have had elite DT play so we don't really know what that is until we play someone who does have those types of DTs. Its no coincidence the only year Atlanta went to the Super Bowl, we had Travis Hall and Shane Dronett as our DTs on our 4 man front. Those guys helped DE Chuck Smith immensely and helped made Lester Archambeau a good pass rushing DE, something he never was before. For the last 12-13 years the Falcons have drafted so called skill position players in the first couple of rounds, at WR and CB in particular. We need much more emphasis on DT and O line.

Unless the spirit of Jerome Brown takes over his body, I don't see it happening. He is barely serviceable in my opinion.

I agree that he did look a little better last season, and there were times where he was doing a good job of eating up 2 blockers. I don't root against him or any Falcon unlike some people. I go into every season/game hoping he breaks out, and I did the same for J. Anderson and even A. Bruce as a kid.

I hope the guy becomes a J. Brown, W. Sapp, or even a Kevin Williams, or he could gain 50lbs and be a T. Washington type guy. I just don't see it happening, and depending on what he does in camp vs other guys, I could see him cut. Hope I am wrong.

Whatever Jerry is gonna develop into, he better hurry. Jerry is what, 29 going on 30? Seems to me Peria as a player is about as good as he is going to get.

Fatboi replied

It seems like in our scheme the NT's responsibility is to eat up blockers and keep the MLB clean. It is up to the 3 technique or UT to penetrate. If the NT can draw the Center and Guard, than the LB is free to come down hill and blow the play up. When we had Curtis Lofton that seemed to work a lot better. Hopefully Dent can improve.