Pfw Scouting Report - Desmond Trufant, Cb-Atlanta Falcons

g-dawg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just looking at how many are available. Truth is, I doubt that happens. In fact, knowing TD, he may just sign big bro.

No reason to hate it. Its for the defense and we lost 3 CB's. Needed at LEAST one and Trufant is coachable. To be very honest, the draft is deep in almost all of our positions of need, so there was nothing to bother me.

Drob may have been a moron in terms of using himself as a human missile, but he was 1000% the team player than Trufant will ever be. He also wasn't scared of physical contact, Trufant at the college level already clearly had the attitude that he was too important to be a physical player. If he did that against a soft Pac 12 WR corps, what do you think he will do against guys like Steve Smith, Michael Crabtree etc?

Anyone who likes Trufant this much are clearly frothing at the mouth at youtube highlights or something. He's not that good...at the college level...in a college conference that pretty much only had 1 good team (Oregon). I so hope I'm wrong about this, but he was occasionally interesting but got his lunch ate way too many times gambling and is about as physical a tackler as Tinkerbell on Oxycotton. When Floydd is blowing it up and Rhodes makes the pro bowl as a rookie, I'm going to lose it.

Drob may have been a moron in terms of using himself as a human missile, but he was 1000% the team player than Trufant will ever be. He also wasn't scared of physical contact, Trufant at the college level already clearly had the attitude that he was too important to be a physical player. If he did that against a soft Pac 12 WR corps, what do you think he will do against guys like Steve Smith, Michael Crabtree etc?

Anyone who likes Trufant this much are clearly frothing at the mouth at youtube highlights or something. He's not that good...at the college level...in a college conference that pretty much only had 1 good team (Oregon). I so hope I'm wrong about this, but he was occasionally interesting but got his lunch ate way too many times gambling and is about as physical a tackler as Tinkerbell on Oxycotton. When Floydd is blowing it up and Rhodes makes the pro bowl as a rookie, I'm going to lose it.

You have no freaking clue how lucky you are. Go back to the desert. I am serious. Try being a Buc fan. I think you sound like a spoiled little *****. Your GM made a great trade but all you do is cry. I would give my ovary to be in your spot. Whiney hoe is all you are.

Can't tackle, takes too many risks, got burned by Marquees Wilson very badly, relies too much on his athleticism (which won't work in the NFL). A bit of a route jumper, somewhat selfish player, buys into his own hype rather heavily. The most accurate part of that scouting report by far is the overdrafted part, and luckily for him, DT is more than willing to cannibalize our picks once he gets a hard on for a player. Floyd and Werner fell into his lap when Rhodes and 2 other pretty good CB's were on the board still. You know the Vikes were gasping when we traded up...they are laughing their azzes off at us now.

This is going to be an immensely disappointing draft pick for us...Hunt is about as flexible and agile as a brick and I'd rather have drafted him given the situation. We FINALLY have all our picks and we trade up to get a CB in a draft that has excellent CB depth? I really hope someone slaps DT in the face with a cactus tomorrow. Fukhead doomed us to yet ANOTHER draft where virtually every player is a ST/situational/role player type. Bierman Sidbury and Matthews 2.0 on the docket. Basically swapped Abe for Osi, pass rush is a wash. Assuming we draft a good DE, DT, or LB in the 2nd, that means we have to cross our fingers we get a servicable player in 2 pretty serious positions of need in the 4th round. And that's assuming Dummytroff doesn't draft a WR or TE in the 2nd, which given how stupid his first move was, I'm fairly certain he will. Again, SB or bust this year, because it's pretty fukn clear DT has no intention of building a long term contender. Seattle and SF, probably even the Saints among others, are going to be licking their chops to play us a couple of years from now when we still have no DL and Nicholas is still 5 steps behind trying to cover 1 legged fullbacks.

What you are saying absolutely contradicts what our FO thinks of this guy and basically all the scribes on NFLN pretty much have said its a good and very solid pick.

Heck even fills a gaping need.I don't get he negetivity with regards to your post.

You have no freaking clue how lucky you are. Go back to the desert. I am serious. Try being a Buc fan. I think you sound like a spoiled little *****. Your GM made a great trade but all you do is cry. I would give my ovary to be in your spot. Whiney hoe is all you are.

qualify great trade, junior. the fact that we have some talent doesn't excuse a foolish trade. what was so wonderful about it? please tell me. no, really. tell me why he's so much better than rhodes, why he was worth sacrificing a 3rd round pick when we still have a serious issue at DE, DT, and LB. enlighten me, infant.

Technically, I that's a misuse of the word 'think'. Go to bed little kid. I defended my point rationally, all you did was prove you are 12. Have fun with your legos

What you are saying absolutely contradicts what our FO thinks of this guy and basically all the scribes on NFLN pretty much have said its a good and very solid pick.

Heck even fills a gaping need.I don't get he negetivity with regards to your post.

to be fair, doesn't this board as a whole ridicule what NFLN says on almost a daily basis?

I've seen him play for 2 years straight. Get ready for plenty of penalties. Dude was part of a husky defense last year that blew an 18 point lead to washington state, and he was a big part of the problem...and that was AFTER Wazzu suspended marquees wilson, who abused him the prior year. Again, people are guffawing at youtube videos. I hope this guy turns out to be a legit starter...but he is seriously overhyped and DT bought it hook line and sinker. You never know, I think Smith will humble the guy a bit...and that will be critical. I was kind of hoping someone other than us would spring a boner over his 40 time and reach for him, but so much for that LOL

to be fair, doesn't this board as a whole ridicule what NFLN says on almost a daily basis?

I've seen him play for 2 years straight. Get ready for plenty of penalties. Dude was part of a husky defense last year that blew an 18 point lead to washington state, and he was a big part of the problem...and that was AFTER Wazzu suspended marquees wilson, who abused him the prior year. Again, people are guffawing at youtube videos. I hope this guy turns out to be a legit starter...but he is seriously overhyped and DT bought it hook line and sinker. You never know, I think Smith will humble the guy a bit...and that will be critical. I was kind of hoping someone other than us would spring a boner over his 40 time and reach for him, but so much for that LOL

So if the FO ID's a position of need and there guy falls to you do you pass and take the guy a disgruntled MBer thinks is best for the team or do you base it on what your DC and HC have discussed with all the relevant information????

As for him giving away penalties thats what coaches are for and if going by how our secondary played last year I'm more than confident that the issue's Trufant had can be remedied.

I'll leave that thought with you.

Happy for Desmond Trufant ! I can't blame him for our FO's EPIC FAIL in selecting him @22 . Not his fault or his problem our GM , scouts , coaches are flat out DUMB ! If I was Arthur Blank i would fire T. Dimitroff right now ! Unless our entire scout / draft team had Desmond Trufant as the highest ranked defensive player on their board OVERALL or @22 !!! I'm not kiddin i seriously HATE our GM right now !!!! I can't believe this seriously happened !! Funny thing is I knew for the last two months they would pizzz me off . And what do ya know, i'm SHOCKED and don't know why. After knowing hole heartedly they would do something this ridiculous for so long. Reality is no matter what they do the rest of this draft it will NEVER be good with me. I truly believe we missed a once in a decade maybe generation opportunity to get a great defensive tackle that very RARELY slips like that. There's no explanation or excuse for this crap, it's a slap to the face and a insult to every falcons fans intelligence period. Best GM in the NfL is Ozzie Newsome hands down!!! There's a strategy, I don't think our FO has ever heard of it...... It's called ALWAYS !!!!!! ALWAYS !!!!!!!!! ALWAYS !!!!!!! TAKE THE BEST PLAYER ON THE BOARD !!!!!!!!!!! I'M SICK & NEVER GONNA 4GET THIS CRAP !!! What's worse is I get to look forward to this every year. Bad draft picks then watch our defense lose another post season playoff game if we make it that far this year. Then say bye bye to Tony G. & DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN..... JUST GETTING A LITTLE WORSE EVERY YEAR!!! Honestly don't know why i even bother getting my hopes up every year as soon as that clock starts ticking I think heh maybe, just maybe they will surprise me like they did 2010 with Julio Jones & Jacquizz Rogers. YEA RIGHT ,,,,, FORGET ABOUT IT !!

We need some dirty players. You think Willie Brown and Mel Blount got into the Hall of Fame playing nice?

Happy for Desmond Trufant ! I can't blame him for our FO's EPIC FAIL in selecting him @22 . Not his fault or his problem our GM , scouts , coaches are flat out DUMB ! If I was Arthur Blank i would fire T. Dimitroff right now ! Unless our entire scout / draft team had Desmond Trufant as the highest ranked defensive player on their board OVERALL or @22 !!! I'm not kiddin i seriously HATE our GM right now !!!! I can't believe this seriously happened !! Funny thing is I knew for the last two months they would pizzz me off . And what do ya know, i'm SHOCKED and don't know why. After knowing hole heartedly they would do something this ridiculous for so long. Reality is no matter what they do the rest of this draft it will NEVER be good with me. I truly believe we missed a once in a decade maybe generation opportunity to get a great defensive tackle that very RARELY slips like that. There's no explanation or excuse for this crap, it's a slap to the face and a insult to every falcons fans intelligence period. Best GM in the NfL is Ozzie Newsome hands down!!! There's a strategy, I don't think our FO has ever heard of it...... It's called ALWAYS !!!!!! ALWAYS !!!!!!!!! ALWAYS !!!!!!! TAKE THE BEST PLAYER ON THE BOARD !!!!!!!!!!! I'M SICK & NEVER GONNA 4GET THIS CRAP !!! What's worse is I get to look forward to this every year. Bad draft picks then watch our defense lose another post season playoff game if we make it that far this year. Then say bye bye to Tony G. & DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN..... JUST GETTING A LITTLE WORSE EVERY YEAR!!! Honestly don't know why i even bother getting my hopes up every year as soon as that clock starts ticking I think heh maybe, just maybe they will surprise me like they did 2010 with Julio Jones & Jacquizz Rogers. YEA RIGHT ,,,,, FORGET ABOUT IT !!

You need to chill.

We reach for DTs such as Peria, and then when we have one fall right into our laps, we reach for a CB. I just don't get it, and don't agree with it. I thought we drafted BPA at a position of need. By the way they interviewed, they were drafting Trufant no matter what. He was the target no matter. Why in the world do they not take into account who else is on the board.

I'm cool with the pick. Honestly, I'd have rather had Ogletree, but it was a need. If we get Carradine, Hunt, Brown, or Jenkins in the 2nd I'll be thrilled.

Yeah, I would have been happier with picking Ogletree. but I am not totally upset with the pick. Guess you could say that I am not overly excited, or totally bummed out about it.

I have grown to love the Trufant pick. He does have a tendency to grab a little, but I am cool with that because he looks like Richard Sherman shadowing the receiver down field.

I understand he will draw some flags, but that comes with the territory of getting under an opponents skin. Hopefully he will get the Sherman/Revis treatment and the refs will allow him to slide on those occasions.

Regardless, this guy is going to pester some receivers past their breaking point and get someone ejected. Once Asante gets a hold of him and mentors him, he will be flat unbearable for other opponents.

Even though it's not who I "personally" wanted, TD and Nolan know better than I do. Great pick up for the Falcons.

Edited by Sui_Generis

We reach for DTs such as Peria, and then when we have one fall right into our laps, we reach for a CB. I just don't get it, and don't agree with it. I thought we drafted BPA at a position of need. By the way they interviewed, they were drafting Trufant no matter what. He was the target no matter. Why in the world do they not take into account who else is on the board.

He was the target and THAT is why they moved up. Why must it be Trufant is a reach?

BS: Both Trufant and the DT dropped due to OFFENSIVE LINEMEN galore first 15 first.

Geez, if you get a couple SOLID players the rest of the draft and who knows what FA brings, can't you just accept you had MORE ACTUAL vacant spots at CB than along the DL? Yeah, you don't have all holes on the DL filled; particularly DT, but CB and interior DL was not one specific reason Atlanta lost last year to SF. It needs a better defense personnel wise overall. Starts with CB NEED being filled.

Trufant may be the LCB for 10 years after Samuel leaves. Think about that. Who knows? Optimism is in. The team is reloading on defense and maybe even OL. Let's let this thing play on out some.

What is more valuable or harder to come by? A starting CB or a situational DT? Atlanta has yet to have a dominant DT for years. Does anyone think it planned on having Floyd available when it traded up?

Maybe...just maybe. You can get a DT later. Maybe, Peters and Travian keep growing; Babs is as good a DT can be without being a PB; IMO. Atlanta can get a NT type and continue to overall DL and hopefully even bring in some competition for LB.

Let's see how the roster is during OTAs and after the June 1st cuts.

Can't tackle, takes too many risks, got burned by Marquees Wilson very badly, relies too much on his athleticism (which won't work in the NFL). A bit of a route jumper, somewhat selfish player, buys into his own hype rather heavily. The most accurate part of that scouting report by far is the overdrafted part, and luckily for him, DT is more than willing to cannibalize our picks once he gets a hard on for a player. Floyd and Werner fell into his lap when Rhodes and 2 other pretty good CB's were on the board still. You know the Vikes were gasping when we traded up...they are laughing their azzes off at us now.

This is going to be an immensely disappointing draft pick for us...Hunt is about as flexible and agile as a brick and I'd rather have drafted him given the situation. We FINALLY have all our picks and we trade up to get a CB in a draft that has excellent CB depth? I really hope someone slaps DT in the face with a cactus tomorrow. Fukhead doomed us to yet ANOTHER draft where virtually every player is a ST/situational/role player type. Bierman Sidbury and Matthews 2.0 on the docket. Basically swapped Abe for Osi, pass rush is a wash. Assuming we draft a good DE, DT, or LB in the 2nd, that means we have to cross our fingers we get a servicable player in 2 pretty serious positions of need in the 4th round. And that's assuming Dummytroff doesn't draft a WR or TE in the 2nd, which given how stupid his first move was, I'm fairly certain he will. Again, SB or bust this year, because it's pretty fukn clear DT has no intention of building a long term contender. Seattle and SF, probably even the Saints among others, are going to be licking their chops to play us a couple of years from now when we still have no DL and Nicholas is still 5 steps behind trying to cover 1 legged fullbacks.

glad you are on board with the pick, desert falcon.

At what point is this freaking regime going to address the lines. They just don't care about the trenches. HOW in gods name did we pass on some of the pass rushers left on the board. I can't stand the way TD drafts.

I'm hoping we circle back around to Richard Seymour on a 1 year deal after we re-sign Matt. If we get Seymour, he will have a bigger 1 year impact than Shariff Floyd or anyone else we could draft. We just need a few more "rent-a-players" for 1-2 years while we try to get some more younger drafted or free agent talent.

if we bring in Seymour, will that satisfy you?

50 games.

6 picks.

blink.png

WOW!!! So glad we gave up the ability to draft another potential starter for such a stellar difference-make and impact defender.

All the Olinemen you said were worthy of a first round pick went top ten, right? You don't watch anything but the trenches right? So how would you know about a corner?

We reach for DTs such as Peria....

Jerry wasn't a reach. He was projected as a 1st rounder. He was the highest rated DT on the board late 1st round. Even swift thought it was a good pick at the time.

Have to admit, my first reaction to this pick was a 4 letter anglo-saxon word that means excrement, but I calmed down. I would have grabbed somebody on the Dline myself, but TD has a pretty good track record with his 1st & 2nd rounders. Grabbing a plug and play piece that could be there for years and give Nolan more of a chance to blitz, sure, why not. Sincerely hope the next pick is a big NT.

I'm hoping we circle back around to Richard Seymour on a 1 year deal after we re-sign Matt. If we get Seymour, he will have a bigger 1 year impact than Shariff Floyd or anyone else we could draft. We just need a few more "rent-a-players" for 1-2 years while we try to get some more younger drafted or free agent talent.

if we bring in Seymour, will that satisfy you?

G Dawg, I am not going to lie. I wanted to grab Richardson or Star, but I realized it was a stretch at best to even have a chance at them. With that said I think adding Seymour to the mix may just be what our d line needs.

We have plenty of young players on the roster that need a chance to grow and show their mettle so to speak. It makes me even more comfortable with the Trufant pick, because it seems Nolan is staying the course. He stated last year that CB is a very coveted position in his defense and TD went and drafted the one that they wanted.

I am very confident that both TD and Nolan have a plan for the d line. For now I will sit back and enjoy the draft, and wait until the dust settles before I get too worked up over the moves being made.

But if TD drafts a fullback or a center in the 2nd round, I may just have to drive to Flowery Branch and break his bicycle and hide his hair gel.

peria wasn't a reach