Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LookAboutFalcon

Official Draft Thread

2,250 posts in this topic

Im sorry I love the falcons and they will always be my team, but we did not have a good draft in my eyes. The reason why I say this is because in the first round I did not see a valid reason for moving up and giving up a 3rd round pick just for 8 slots ahead of where u were. If Trufant was taken get Rhodes if both of them were gone get Olgetree to solve your LB problem. Then in the 2nd how do you have a Heisman trophy nominee on the broad and you dont take him, instead you pick a player no one ever mentioned and you take him too high, If 2 elite CB in the league and a Hall of Famer vouch for the trouble kid then pick him. We are not in the business of controlling our players lifes, we only care what happens on the field. So now we have no 3rd round pick which will hurt us. Then you draft so late in the rest of the rounds that there are no more decent starters on the board. I'm sorry I thought this would have been the draft to help us but I dont think TD did that at all.

Im sorry I love the falcons and they will always be my team, but we did not have a good draft in my eyes. The reason why I say this is because in the first round I did not see a valid reason for moving up and giving up a 3rd round pick just for 8 slots ahead of where u were. If Trufant was taken get Rhodes if both of them were gone get Olgetree to solve your LB problem. Then in the 2nd how do you have a Heisman trophy nominee on the broad and you dont take him, instead you pick a player no one ever mentioned and you take him too high, If 2 elite CB in the league and a Hall of Famer vouch for the trouble kid then pick him. We are not in the business of controlling our players lifes, we only care what happens on the field. So now we have no 3rd round pick which will hurt us. Then you draft so late in the rest of the rounds that there are no more decent starters on the board. I'm sorry I thought this would have been the draft to help us but I dont think TD did that at all.

The Falcons liked Desmond Trufant more than any other CB in the draft. He was #1 on their draft board. They got the guy they wanted. Cannot blame a team for making sure they get the guy they wanted even if it cost a 3rd round pick to do it. You say you don't care what a player does off the field because it only matters what happens on the field. Well you might not care but Roger Goodell does and has shown that he won't think twice about suspending players for their off field actions. There are simply too many signs out there that Tyrann Mathieu doesn't get it and will never get it. The Falcons simply can't take that kind of risk. The player the Falcons got instead, Robert Alford, was considered a 1st round talent by some scouts. That says a lot. The best way to look at this draft was that it was more along the lines of a draft now, play later draft for the Falcons.

Schwarzwald likes this

The Falcons liked Desmond Trufant more than any other CB in the draft. He was #1 on their draft board. They got the guy they wanted. Cannot blame a team for making sure they get the guy they wanted even if it cost a 3rd round pick to do it. You say you don't care what a player does off the field because it only matters what happens on the field. Well you might not care but Roger Goodell does and has shown that he won't think twice about suspending players for their off field actions. There are simply too many signs out there that Tyrann Mathieu doesn't get it and will never get it. The Falcons simply can't take that kind of risk. The player the Falcons got instead, Robert Alford, was considered a 1st round talent by some scouts. That says a lot. The best way to look at this draft was that it was more along the lines of a draft now, play later draft for the Falcons.

I hear what your saying but we had more than one issue than CB. There are several position that the falcons needed to address not jus CB. Thats why you either give up some picks and get in the top 1 - 15 or stay where you are. Yes Mathieu has gotten into trouble before but it has not happened on our dime, and we cant draft player in fear of them getting into trouble. Any player can get into trouble you never know. I'm sorry not trying to be negative but true to myself as a Falcon fan, I really dont see us getting back to where we were next year. I think the only only only solution is to sign Abe back and speed the pass rush up to help whatever CB we start.

I hear what your saying but we had more than one issue than CB. There are several position that the falcons needed to address not jus CB. Thats why you either give up some picks and get in the top 1 - 15 or stay where you are. Yes Mathieu has gotten into trouble before but it has not happened on our dime, and we cant draft player in fear of them getting into trouble. Any player can get into trouble you never know. I'm sorry not trying to be negative but true to myself as a Falcon fan, I really dont see us getting back to where we were next year. I think the only only only solution is to sign Abe back and speed the pass rush up to help whatever CB we start.

There's a reason the Falcons cut Abraham and it wasn't because of his cap number. It was because he is done. That's why he still is a free agent. If he had anything left in the tank he would have signed somewhere by now. The Falcons needed cornerbacks. We only had Samuel, McClain and Franks on the roster going into the draft so drafting 2 cornerbacks was a must. You can only fix so many positions in the draft in any given year because theirs only so many picks to go around especially for a team picking at the back end of every round.

Schwarzwald likes this

There's a reason the Falcons cut Abraham and it wasn't because of his cap number. It was because he is done. That's why he still is a free agent. If he had anything left in the tank he would have signed somewhere by now. The Falcons needed cornerbacks. We only had Samuel, McClain and Franks on the roster going into the draft so drafting 2 cornerbacks was a must. You can only fix so many positions in the draft in any given year because theirs only so many picks to go around especially for a team picking at the back end of every round.

How much production do you expect to get when your primary pass rush, matter of fact only decent pass rusher all season, and he gets hurt on the last game of the season and you already clinched. Abe still has some juice. And yes drafting a corner was a must but do you really expect for a rookie CB to hold an NFL elite WR, ( I hope not ) , and go look at Trufants highlight tape there nothing there that makes him stand out besides the name. I wish we would have got Hayden. but a lot should have been fixed when you got 11 picks in the draft.

Wow, 567 getting it done with reasoning! biggrin.png

What do you expect? I've very reasonable when I'm thinking clearly. The problem is half the time I'm not thinking clearly. :)

How much production do you expect to get when your primary pass rush, matter of fact only decent pass rusher all season, and he gets hurt on the last game of the season and you already clinched. Abe still has some juice. And yes drafting a corner was a must but do you really expect for a rookie CB to hold an NFL elite WR, ( I hope not ) , and go look at Trufants highlight tape there nothing there that makes him stand out besides the name. I wish we would have got Hayden. but a lot should have been fixed when you got 11 picks in the draft.

Abraham was doing next to nothing before he got hurt. He started off the season playing great. Through the first 10 games of the season Abraham had 25 tackles and 9 sacks. But in the final 8 games of the season he had just 10 tackles and only 1 sack. That's less than 2 tackles a game. That's pathetic. And again if he had anything left in the tank someone would have signed him by now.

And just because you're not impressed with Desmond Trufant's highlights doesn't mean the Falcons didn't see something that made them have him ranked higher on their board than any other corner. The Falcons got the guy they wanted. You cannot blame them for getting the guy they wanted.

And you say the Falcons had 11 picks. 4 of those picks were compensation picks. Teams cannot trade compensation picks. Another of the picks was a 7th round pick. 7th round picks have next to no trade value. So what's 11 minus 5? That leaves 6 legit picks for the Falcons to work with.

Abraham was doing next to nothing before he got hurt. He started off the season playing great. Through the first 10 games of the season Abraham had 25 tackles and 9 sacks. But in the final 8 games of the season he had just 10 tackles and only 1 sack. That's less than 2 tackles a game. That's pathetic. And again if he had anything left in the tank someone would have signed him by now.

And just because you're not impressed with Desmond Trufant's highlights doesn't mean the Falcons didn't see something that made them have him ranked higher on their board than any other corner. The Falcons got the guy they wanted. You cannot blame them for getting the guy they wanted.

And you say the Falcons had 11 picks. 4 of those picks were compensation picks. Teams cannot trade compensation picks. Another of the picks was a 7th round pick. 7th round picks have next to no trade value. So what's 11 minus 5? That leaves 6 legit picks for the Falcons to work with.

The season will tell the true story ....

It will but declaring the draft a bust before the players even get a chance is a little bit silly.

I never said he was a bust .... What I said is I wasn't sold on him and I wasn't happy how they went about getting him and that they didn't take Mathieu those were my only points .... Now we putting words and statements in my response ....

I never said he was a bust .... What I said is I wasn't sold on him and I wasn't happy how they went about getting him and that they didn't take Mathieu those were my only points .... Now we putting words and statements in my response ....

You want a guy that could end up getting suspended for drug use? SMH

I'll be honest, you saying we should have taken Mathieu and you wish we'd gotten Hayden make me think you're only listening to what the hype machine is putting out...Hayden is good, but if you look at his coverage in-game, he shouldn't have been more than a mid second rounder. An early-mid third seems more appropriate. I'd honestly take Alford over him, at least based on his actual coverage - both Alford and Trufant are more physical, faster, and play tighter coverage. Hayden has better ball skills but gets burned on a pretty regular basis, something guys in CUSA can't take advantage of but that NFL QBs will be able to.

Hayden will be a bust in relation to his selection if you ask me, especially if guys are expecting him to be a lockdown #1 right away. He's a good story, but he wasn't a good first round pick.

You want a guy that could end up getting suspended for drug use? SMH

All I'm saying is I'm concerned ... about how we made our picks ...and yes I would have taken Mathieu .... I wouldn't approach the draft worrying about what happens off the field ... Thats like Blackman who just got suspended it can happen to anybody ...

I'll be honest, you saying we should have taken Mathieu and you wish we'd gotten Hayden make me think you're only listening to what the hype machine is putting out...Hayden is good, but if you look at his coverage in-game, he shouldn't have been more than a mid second rounder. An early-mid third seems more appropriate. I'd honestly take Alford over him, at least based on his actual coverage - both Alford and Trufant are more physical, faster, and play tighter coverage. Hayden has better ball skills but gets burned on a pretty regular basis, something guys in CUSA can't take advantage of but that NFL QBs will be able to.

Hayden will be a bust in relation to his selection if you ask me, especially if guys are expecting him to be a lockdown #1 right away. He's a good story, but he wasn't a good first round pick.

I can respect your opinion .... and will take a close look at him in his rookie season ... But do you think we will get back to where we were last year ? and who do you feel is our strongest opponent in our Coference ?

I can respect your opinion .... and will take a close look at him in his rookie season ... But do you think we will get back to where we were last year ? and who do you feel is our strongest opponent in our Coference ?

I honestly don't know. Training camp and preseason is a better indicator. Right now, you can legitimately go to every team's forum and they'll be hyped on their draft picks, thinking they can push for a title...if I had to guess, though, I'd say the Panthers are the strongest besides us in the NFCS, and in the whole conference, it's the Packers or Seahawks. Panthers adding two DTs early makes that defensive line possibly top 5 in the NFL, they already had terrific DEs. Their offense has always been strong, and the pass rush will mitigate their weak secondary. Add to that a healthy LB core that's one of the best in the NFL...and I'm not wholly sure we win the division. For the Packers, they've always been great in terms of passing offense, but adding Lacy and Franklin while being young in other areas is huge, and their defense is going to be a big improvement over last year's. The Seahawks added Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams on the line, and while Williams is rotational, Hill might honestly be the perfect 3 tech for their system. He's already being predicted to start, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a phenomenal year in comparison to his draft position. Add to that two more violent running RBs in Christine Michael and Spencer Ware, and then an intelligent and mean WR in Chris Harper who is at worst great depth and at best the second coming of Hines Ward - yeah, the Hawks are scary. That's not even considering all their FA acquisitions.

NFC is flat out nasty this year.

All I'm saying is I'm concerned ... about how we made our picks ...and yes I would have taken Mathieu .... I wouldn't approach the draft worrying about what happens off the field ... Thats like Blackman who just got suspended it can happen to anybody ...

Blackmon had character concerns going into the draft, so that's a pretty bad example. If anything it supports TD's approach.

Blackmon had character concerns going into the draft, so that's a pretty bad example. If anything it supports TD's approach.

How is that a bad example ? well how about Turner , or W. Moore if thats better for u

How is that a bad example ? well how about Turner , or W. Moore if thats better for u

Neither has character issues, they both made bad choices. Blackmon might not even be on the Jaguars next season if he keeps it up. That's why it's a bad example...he'd already be off the Falcons if we had him.

Clarence Anderson wide receiver Warsaw Eagles #7

4 touchdowns 5/4/13

97 yard TD return, 95 yard TD return, 50 yard TD reception, 45 yard TD reception

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG-WVKAAQzM

4 touchdowns 5/12/13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYjViRY09E

2 rec, 1 rush, 85 yard TD return

Total 16 TD's in 6 games

Third game in a row 4 touchdowns and you must watch this return going viral

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=374297289349143