If Td Drafts Eifert Or Any Te Tonight....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The analysts all seem to be very high on the Notre Dame kid. I have seen several projections having him drafted in the teens or early 20's. I guess if he fell to the Falcons at 30, then it would be a value pick. We have other needs but, I think you take best player available.

I keep hearing how deep this draft is in cornerbacks and linemen on both sides of the ball. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see TD reach for a talented TE with the 30th pick, and follow with some wheeling and dealing to add as many as four defensive players in the next three rounds who can compete to start.

Moreover, I don't believe the Falcons are finished with FA's for the coming year. Nobody has heard anything about Karlos Dansby, who might actually start at MLB if he signed with Atlanta. Plus the many moves post-draft and in preseason that I'm sure Dimitroff is considering.

I personally believe that there is more of an urgency applied to this season than in the past because of the retirement of Gonzalez and Matt Ryan's upcoming contract. I think that drives a demand that they at least make the Super Bowl, or face a retooling next year

However, Dimitroff has done this organization proud so far, so however he sculpts this draft will be successful, in my opinion. I don't have any problem at all admitting that he and the professionals paid to build and coach this team are far smarter than I am about the composition of the Falcons. That's not always true with some message board posters, unfortunately.

Would any of you blow a gasket if we "trade up" to get him?

I'd be pretty upset. Trading up for a 4th option in the offense just seems ridiculous. I know we need an heir for TG, but grab a TE like Escobar or Reed later on. Using a first on Eifert when our defense has as many holes as it does (specifically at corner and the DL) is just not acceptable imo.

Ultimately, I know TD knows better than I do, but that wouldn't stop me from hating the pick.

Edited by Syndicate0017

I'm for whatever the front office does to try and make this team better. Obviously, the Falcons has more data sources than we do on players so they can make a more informed decision. I'm just excited about tonight. Regardless of who we get, we will be a better team after tonight.

I would love the pick and here is why.

1) TE is a big part of our offense. We use it more for moving the chains and scoring than for blocking. Ryan targeted TG a lot and seeing this is his last year Eifert would be the perfect replacement for the next 10 years. It's a pick for down the road, but seeing there really is no one like Eifert coming out of college in the next few years that we would have the possibility of drafting, it makes sense to pull the trigger sooner than later.

2) We are about to pay Ryan 125 million plus, he will always need weapons. As much as you want us to go in all defense we are an offensive minded team, and that means giving Ryan all the weapons he needs. We are not going to take a chance in FA or coaching up a player that "might" be as good as TG is now. Not saying Eifert will be as good as TG but the drop off won't be that far off.

3) Our defense does not have to be top 10, just better than last year. We made it to the NFC game with the 22nd ranked Defense. We can improve with a few moves. On that note, we will NEVER have a top 5 or 10 defense. The team is not constructed that way. In the modern NFL you can get into the playoffs with a high powered offense. Remember, it was the Raven's offense that won their second Superbowl........not the defense.

4) At 30 there simply isn't a first year defensive impact player that is going to come in and dynamically put the team over the top. While the draft is deep in certain positions, it's not the kind of draft where at 30 we can find someone who solves problems with pass rush or coverage day one. Yes we are thin at CB, LB and DE but the talent taken in round 2 - 5 will help the defense just as good. Trading up, yes we could find someone who can create a spark but not at 30. We have too many holes for one guy at 30 to solve.

5) For this year red zone efficiency would sky rocket having Eifert opposite TG. The Impact of Eifert to the offense would be greater (I think) than adding a rookie defensive player picked at 30.

I know our defense has holes, needs to improve, and needs more talent. But, nobody at 30 is going to turn the defensive around. Eifert is talent you don't let slip past you. The timing could not be any better with this being TG's last year. We will be paying Ryan a ton of money to score TDs and that means loading him up with weapons moving forward. TE is a vital position in our offense. You can't let 90 catches just fall off the map when TG leaves. The draft is deep enough to fill holes with the remaining picks, and like I said our defense can still improve adding depth with this draft, but if you have any hopes of building a top 5 defense stop dreaming. That's not the kind of team we are being built as.

How will you feel?? I personally was deadset against it, but now I'm not so sure it isn't a bad idea. I know we desperately need to upgrade the defense, but I don't think I'd go crazy if we went TE with our first pick

If TE is the best player at #30, I would still be pissed off. If we trade up and draft a TE, TD will be dead to me.