Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Braves @ Pirates

660 posts in this topic

Numbers now updated through Ayala's appearance in this game.

When Laird Catches

50 IP, 55 H, 26 R, 26 ER, 7 HR, 21 BB, 35 SO, 4.68 ERA

When Gattis Catches

92 IP, 57 H, 11 R, 9 ER, 3 HR, 17 BB, 73 SO, 0.88 ERA

It happens when you catch Julio all the time, but there are a few with other pitchers.

It happens when you catch Julio all the time, but there are a few with other pitchers.

Take out Julio and the numbers are good. But the strikeout to walk ratio is still not good.

Laird - 36 IP, 34 H, 13 R, 13 ER, 15 BB, 24 SO, 2 HR, 3.25 ERA

Gattis - 92 IP, 57 H, 11 R, 9 ER, 17 BB, 73 SO, 3 HR, 0.88 ERA

Take out Julio and the numbers are good. But the strikeout to walk ratio is still not good.

Laird - 36 IP, 34 H, 13 R, 13 ER, 15 BB, 24 SO, 2 HR, 3.25 ERA

Gattis - 92 IP, 57 H, 11 R, 9 ER, 17 BB, 73 SO, 3 HR, 0.88 ERA

Makes me think that the game Gattis calls is a bit more unpredictable and random to the hitters.

Makes me think that the game Gattis calls is a bit more unpredictable and random to the hitters.

I don't know what it is but it does raise an eyebrow. I don't look at the hits because that could be bad luck or good luck one way or the other. But strikeout and walks a pitcher has full control over.

I don't know if anyone else had noticed but Tim Hudson played like donkey balls...

This better just be a lull of a night and not a sign of what's to come...

Am I the only one who turns down the volume during Fredi's post-game interviews? I just can't listen to him trying to put a positive spin on everything.

I've usually already turned the channel by that time. Can't stand listening to Brian Jordan.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Hey. I can’t do live posting during game time. But after just scanning the last few posts, I feel some of you may be taking the losses a bit too hard.

There simply will be games like this. Even with our best pitcher, whomever that pitcher is.

I didn’t hear Fredi’s or Brian’s post game talks. But I generally like hearing Fredi talk about the team.

I still take a little comfort in the nice almost cushy little 4 game lead. For now. And I still think they will up it to 6 or 7 by the time Washington comes here.

So be of good cheer, fellow Braves mates. And like I said, understand there WILL be plenty other games like this.

J

Hey. I can’t do live posting during game time. But after just scanning the last few posts, I feel some of you may be taking the losses a bit too hard.

There simply will be games like this. Even with our best pitcher, whomever that pitcher is.

I didn’t hear Fredi’s or Brian’s post game talks. But I generally like hearing Fredi talk about the team.

I still take a little comfort in the nice almost cushy little 4 game lead. For now. And I still think they will up it to 6 or 7 by the time Washington comes here.

So be of good cheer, fellow Braves mates. And like I said, understand there WILL be plenty other games like this.

J

It's not that the Braves lost. It's the way they lost. Baseball is a very simple game. Make the pitcher give you a good pitch to hit. The Braves did not do that last night. 0 walks. That makes the game way too easy for a pitcher if he throws he can get outs on only 1 or 2 pitches. The Braves had only 2 hits last night and on the very next pitch after getting a hit they hit into a double play. The Braves sent 27 batters to the plate and saw just 101 pitches. That equals 3.7 pitches per plate appearance. It is a known fact that it is impossible to walk when you see fewer than 4 pitches in an at-bat.

BRAVES LINEUP

1. B.J. Upton - CF

2. Jason Heyward - RF

3. Justin Upton - LF

4. Evan Gattis - C

5. Chris Johnson - 1B

6. Dan Uggla - 2B

7. Juan Francisco - 3B

8. Andrelton Simmons - SS

9. Paul Maholm - P

AF89 likes this

PIRATES LINEUP

1. Starling Marte - LF

2. Jose Tabata - RF

3. Andrew McCutchen - CF

4. Gaby Sanchez - 1B

5. Russell Martin - 3B

6. Neil Walker - 2B

7. Michael McKendry - C

8. Clint Barmes - SS

9. James McDonald - P

BRAVES LINEUP

1. B.J. Upton - CF

2. Jason Heyward - RF

3. Justin Upton - LF

4. Evan Gattis - C

5. Chris Johnson - 1B

6. Dan Uggla - 2B

7. Juan Francisco - 3B

8. Andrelton Simmons - SS

9. Paul Maholm - P

Probably the best lineup we could possibly field with the guys available. biggrin.png

Gio is struggling for the Nats. :)

The Pirates give the ball to James McDonald tonight. McDonald has made 6 appearances (4 starts) against the Braves in his career and has totally dominated them.

6 G, 4 GS, 3/0 W/L, 30 IP, 26 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 HR, 6 BB, 33 SO, 1.50 ERA.

McDonald made 1 start against the Braves last year and beat them 9-3.

7 2/3 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 HR, 2 BB, 10 SO, 114 P/72 S

McDonald is making his 4th start of the season. He's 1-2 with a 5.27 ERA. McDonald got rocked in his last start against the Cardinals as he didn't make it out of the 2nd inning. He gave up 8 runs (3 earned) in 1 2/3 IP.

McDonald is a hard thrower but his average fastball velocity this season is slightly down a bit from last season and from his career mark.

2013 Avg. Fastball - 89.8 mph

2012 Avg. Fastball - 91.8 mph

Career Avg. Fastball - 92.4 mph

2013 Max Fastball - 92.5 mph

2012 Max Fastball - 95.0 mph

Career Max Fastball - 97.5 mph

Braves vs. James McDonald

Schafer - 4/17, 1 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 3 BB, 4 SO

Uggla - 4/13, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 5 SO

C. Johnson - 2/7, 3 SO

DeWitt - 1/6, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 SO

Francisco - 2/6, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 SO

Heyward - 2/6, 2 SO

J. Upton - 1/3, 1 2B, 1 SO

Laird - 0/2, 1 SO

The Braves give the ball to Paul Maholm tonight. Maholm has been off the charts this season. He's 3-0 with an ERA of 0 because he's yet to give up a run this season.

Maholm is making his 4th career start against the Pirates and has done well against them.

3 G, 3 GS, 1/1, W/L, 20 IP, 13 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 HR, 9 BB, 17 SO, 2.25

All 3 of those previous starts for Maholm against the Pirates came last season including 1 with the Braves on Oct. 1st.

L 2-3 = 5 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 HR, 5 BB, 2 SO, 94 P/51 S

W 5-1 = 8 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 HR, 1 BB, 7 SO, 110 P/70 S

L 1-2 = 7 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 8 SO, 105 P/65 S

Maholm is the very definition of a crafty left-hander. He throws a curveball that this season has ranged in speed from as high as 76.3 mph to as low as 57.8 mph. His average speed on his curveball this season is 71.5 mph. His career average fastball velocity is 88.9 mph.

Pirates vs. Paul Maholm

Barmes - 15/34, 3 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 9 RBI, 4 BB, 1 SO

Martin - 3/10, 1 RBI, 3 BB

Alvarez - 2/9, 1 RBI, 3 SO

McCutchen - 2/6, 1 2B, 3 BB, 2 SO

G. Sanchez - 1/8, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 SO

Tabata - 1/5, 1 2B

Walker - 1/5, 1 RBI

Marte - 2/4, 1 3B, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 SO

Jones - 1/3, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 SO

McKendry - 0/2, 1 BB

Blake Dewitt has been placed on the DL. RHP David Carpenter has been called up.

butt contusion from being on the bench so long?

butt contusion from being on the bench so long?

Actually he has a strained lower back (no doubt from sitting on the bench so long). Carpenter's stay should be a very brief one since Freeman should be back on Monday.

Actually he has a strained lower back (no doubt from sitting on the bench so long). Carpenter's stay should be a very brief one since Freeman should be back on Monday.

And Carpenter better not see the field today or tomorrow.

I don't take the losses hard at all, I am even keel and understand it's baseball. I take Falcon losses much harder, but still I stay positive if I can.