Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Braves @ Pirates

660 posts in this topic

Thursday - 7:05 PM - SPSO, ROOT

Julio Teheran (0-0, 7.36) vs. Jeff Locke (1-1, 4.09)

Friday - 7:05 PM - FSS, MLBN

Tim Hudson (2-0, 2.50) vs. Wandy Rodriguez (1-0, 1.00)

Saturday - 7:05 PM - SPSO, MLBN

Paul Maholm (3-0, 0.00) vs. James McDonald (1-2, 5.27)

Sunday - 1:35 PM - FSS, ROOT

Kris Medlen (1-1, 1.42) vs. Jonathan Sanchez (0-2, 12.96)

I like the matchups. I think Julio is going to have a good game. McCutchen has made me root for the Pirates (not against the Braves). the Braves are my team but I like alot of loser teams in MLB (Indians, Royals, Pirates, Padres, A's, Rays)

Falconsfan567 likes this

I like the matchups. I think Julio is going to have a good game. McCutchen has made me root for the Pirates (not against the Braves). the Braves are my team but I like alot of loser teams in MLB (Indians, Royals, Pirates, Padres, A's, Rays)

Yes, McCutchen is very fun to watch. I was hoping a few years back we could have acquired him.

Pirates rank 26th in MLB as far as hitting goes. .214/.287/.316 and have only 7 HR. Pitching however is 12th with a 3.90 ERA and a .229 BAA but they only have 3 quality starts on the season

Pirates rank 26th in MLB as far as hitting goes. .214/.287/.316 and have only 7 HR. Pitching however is 12th with a 3.90 ERA and a .229 BAA but they only have 3 quality starts on the season

Pitching has done well despite Jonathan Sanchez and James McDonald getting lit up each time they've gone out there and they've used 6 starters already. But McDonald has had 2 great starts against the Braves the last 2 years. I'll hold off on doing a breakdown of all the Pirates starters once I find who all they're throwing at us. Well I guess I'll go ahead and do the Teheran vs. Locke breakdown.

Jeff Locke was one of the players the Braves traded to the Pirates in 2009 in the Nate McLouth trade. He's a soft tossing lefty, which is the type of pitcher that the Braves have really struggled against in recent years and last year was no exception with Locke. Locke's average fastball velocity for his career is 90.0. He started the 3rd to last regular season game against the Braves and got the win as the Pirates beat the Braves 2-1. Locke's pitching line was

6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 5 BB, 6 SO - 104 P/62 S

Locke is making his 3rd start of the season. He's 1-1 with a 4.09 ERA but the numbers suggest he's been a bit lucky as he has a FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) of 5.36. Basically what FIP is, is everything a pitcher has control over, walks, strikeouts and homeruns regardless of the defense behind him.

The reason Locke's FIP is much higher than his ERA is because he has 5 BB and only 3 SO in 11 IP this season. In 14 career appearances (12 starts) Locke is sporting a terrible WHIP of 1.532 and this season his WHIP is 1.545. A WHIP of 1.5 or higher is terrible because that means a pitcher is generally giving up between 1 and 2 baserunners per inning. It's very hard to be successful with a WHIP that high.

Braves vs. Jeff Locke

Heyward - 1/3, 1 RBI

Simmons - 0/2

Maholm - 0/2, 2 SO

R. Johnson - 0/1, 1 BB, 1 SO

C. Johnson - 0/1

Julio Teheran is making his first career start against the Pirates, although he did pitch 2 innings of relief against Pittsburgh in last season's finale.

2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 0 BB, 0 SO, 25 P/16 S

Teheran is making his 3rd start of the season and is 1-1 with an ERA of 7.36. The numbers suggest that Teheran has actually been a bit lucky as he has a FIP of 6.26. Teheran's average fastball velocity for his career is 92.6. His max velocity is 95.7.

Pirates vs. Julio Teheran

McCutchen - 1/1

Burnett - 0/1

Jones - 0/1

Marte - 0/1

Presley - 0/1

With the Pirates offensive struggles this season this could be the game he finally puts it together and pitches like he did this spring.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Interesting usmc. What is the appeal to you for these teams?

Thanks!

I happen to like the A’s. Pretty much always have. I love their uniform colors, but that is not the only reason. And on that note, I think the Marlins’s MIAMI across their white uniform tops is the best looking team name (on the uniform) in baseball.

J

Any chance we see Freeman this series (in other words has in been 15 days yet? I can't remember.)

I saw him say on Twitter he could be back with the team on Monday, so not this series

AF89 likes this

Any chance we see Freeman this series (in other words has in been 15 days yet? I can't remember.)

Sunday is Day 15 of his DL time. He'll be active Monday in Colorado. That's great because Freeman kills the Rockies.

Sunday is Day 15 of his DL time. He'll be active Monday in Colorado. That's great because Freeman kills the Rockies.

This team has the potential to mash as hard as any I have ever seen in Colorado.

This team has the potential to mash as hard as any I have ever seen in Colorado.

As long as they don't try to hit homeruns. Just let them happen naturally.

BRAVES LINEUP

1. B.J. Upton - CF

2. Jason Heyward - RF

3. Justin Upton - LF

4. Chris Johnson - 1B

5. Dan Uggla - 2B

6. Juan Francisco - 3B

7. Andrelton Simmons - SS

8. Gerald Laird - C

9. Julio Teheran - P

A picture of the lineup card was posted on Twitter and Sam Holbrook is one of the umpires in this series! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In every series this year the Braves have had at least 1 umpire that they have bad history with.

BRAVES LINEUP

1. B.J. Upton - CF

2. Jason Heyward - RF

3. Justin Upton - LF

4. Chris Johnson - 1B

5. Dan Uggla - 2B

6. Juan Francisco - 3B

7. Andrelton Simmons - SS

8. Gerald Laird - C

9. Julio Teheran - P

It's still bugging me when I fail to see "Chipper Jones" among the line-up. . . We need to surpass all impossibilities and win it ALL for him this season. Indeed, it seems as if our "dream team" will do so! Last season serves as the worst bummer in history concerning "that call." Though the entire game wasn't based upon that one call, we definitely found ourselves in a great position to take over up until they ruled it dry.png Of course, everything seemingly happens for a reason; LOOK AT US NOW!

Oh, not to mention that Paul Mah's absolutely destroying opposing teams, thus far (from my perspective)!

It's Atlanta's time to rise, guys

Interesting usmc. What is the appeal to you for these teams?

Thanks!

I happen to like the A’s. Pretty much always have. I love their uniform colors, but that is not the only reason. And on that note, I think the Marlins’s MIAMI across their white uniform tops is the best looking team name (on the uniform) in baseball.

J

Indians (Last WS title 1948)

Royals (Dan Quisenberry the closer, My last name)

Rays (when they aquired Boggs, Canseco, McGriff and the other sluggers that slips my mind)

Pirates (McClutchen)

Padres (Tony Gwynn)

A's (1988-1992 A's got me hooked to baseball)

PIRATES LINEUP

1. Starling Marte - LF

2. Travis Snider - RF

3. Andrew McCutchen - CF

4. Garrett Jones - 1B

5. Neil Walker - 2B

6. Pedro Alvarez - 3B

7. Russell Martin - C

8. Clint Barmes - SS

9. Jeff Locke - P

The Braves will see left-handed starters in 3 of the 4 games of this series, Locke, Rodriguez and Sanchez. The other starter is James McDonald who has had 2 great starts against the Braves the last 2 years. So this is definitely a test for the Braves offense.

The Braves will see left-handed starters in 3 of the 4 games of this series, Locke, Rodriguez and Sanchez. The other starter is James McDonald who has had 2 great starts against the Braves the last 2 years. So this is definitely a test for the Braves offense.

Why is BJ leading off?