Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Braves @ Nationals

889 posts in this topic

Friday - 7:05 PM - FSS, MLBN

Julio Teheran (0-0, 9.00) vs. Ross Detwiler (0-0, 0.00)

Saturday - 1:05 PM - FOX

Tim Hudson (1-0, 3.27) vs. Stephen Strasburg (1-1, 4.38)

Sunday - 1:35 PM - FSS

Paul Maholm (2-0, 0.00) vs. Gio Gonzalez (1-0, 0.82)

The pitching matchups certainly don't favor the Braves in this series. Let's hope Wednesday's game against the fish was the start of the entire lineup breaking out because I feel we're going to really need the bats if we're to win this series. Detwiler is a guy that has given the Braves fits in the past. The Braves have had pretty good luck against Strasburg but that has been in Atlanta. In Washington he's done much better against the Braves. And Gonzalez did well against the Braves last year.

I guess the saving grace is that Hudson is coming off a great start and has great numbers against the Nats for his career, but they hit him well last year. And Paul Maholm is pitching the best baseball of his career right now. All we need is for the starters to keep it close and give the bats a chance.

That Friday matchup is the one that scares me the most especially knowing that Laird will be catching and not Gattis so we're down a bat offensively. Here's some of the Braves hitters vs. the Nats starting pitchers.

Ross Detwiler

Heyward - 5/14, 1 2B, 1 RBI

R. Johnson - 6/12, 1 2B, 1 HR, 1 RBI

Uggla - 0/10, 4 BB

J. Upton - 2/11, 1 RBI

Simmons - 2/6, 1 HR, 3 RBI

B. Upton - 2/5

C. Johnson - 0/5

Stephen Strasburg

Uggla - 8/17, 2 2B, 2 HR, 8 RBI

Heyward - 7/12, 1 2B, 1 RBI

C. Johnson - 3/5, 3 RBI

Francisco - 2/5, 1 RBI

Schafer - 1/5

J. Upton - 0/5

Simmons - 0/3

B. Upton - 1/2

Gio Gonzalez

Heyward - 4/12, 2 RBI

Uggla - 1/6, 1 2B, 1 RBI

B. Upton - 1/11

R. Johnson - 1/6, 1 3B, 2 RBI

Simmons - 1/4, 1 2B

Laird - 0/3

C. Johnson - 0/3

J. Upton - 0/2

Pena - 2/2, 1 RBI

You would think the Braves vs. Nationals game on Sunday would have been the ESPN or TBS game. But nope. ESPN is doing the O's vs. Yankees (yes already their 4th Yankee game just in the 2nd week of the season) and TBS is doing the Rays vs. Red Sox. Yep the AL East again getting all the media attention.

But the Braves are getting a good bit of national exposure for those of you that live outside the Atlanta market.

http://braves.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/broadcasts/national.jsp?c_id=atl

The Braves are now 8-1 which is their best start since 1994 when they started the season 13-1. But then they proceeded to lose 9 of their next 11 games with 2 losses by Maddux and Smoltz and 3 by Glavine. Ouch!

I'am predicting we go 1-2, I have no faith in Teheran and Strasburg is going to murder us the way we strike out so much.

I'm not worried about Strasburg. That's actually the game I have most confidence the Braves will win. A ton of strikeouts come at a high price and that's a high pitch count because the Braves usually see 5 or 6 if not more pitches in those at-bats that they end up striking out in. They very rarely strikeout in just 3 or 4 pitches.

And as the numbers show our guys have had good success against Strasburg.

It's a road series so more pressure is on them to hold serve but I feel we HAVE to take at least one game. If we can win the first series (once again on the road) it should give us a huge early season leg up.

It's a road series so more pressure is on them to hold serve but I feel we HAVE to take at least one game. If we can win the first series (once again on the road) it should give us a huge early season leg up.

It would be a complete disaster to not win at least 1 of these games. If we win the series especially considering how lopsided the pitching matchups look on paper that would be awesome and would really give the Braves a leg up in the division. Also the Braves might be able to get into the heads of the Nats a little bit if they were to lose a home series to us in which they had Strasburg and Gonzalez going. They might feel the pressure of carrying that huge bulls eye this year. I don't think anyone has considered that there is a major difference that the Nats are facing this season in having that target on their backs this year.

You would think the Braves vs. Nationals game on Sunday would have been the ESPN or TBS game. But nope. ESPN is doing the O's vs. Yankees (yes already their 4th Yankee game just in the 2nd week of the season) and TBS is doing the Rays vs. Red Sox. Yep the AL East again getting all the media attention.

But the Braves are getting a good bit of national exposure for those of you that live outside the Atlanta market.

http://braves.mlb.co...al.jsp?c_id=atl

Now didn’t I say ESPN was doing baseball fans a disservice by focusing so much on the Yankees, plus 2 other teams?

Maybe their little strategy is to just get the most they can out of the largest tv market and others like the Orioles isn’t too shabby either. But anyway, I have had enough of the Yankees and the Red Sox. Texas is not too far behind too.

J

Falconsfan567 likes this

Now didn’t I say ESPN was doing baseball fans a disservice by focusing so much on the Yankees, plus 2 other teams?

Maybe their little strategy is to just get the most they can out of the largest tv market and others like the Orioles isn’t too shabby either. But anyway, I have had enough of the Yankees and the Red Sox. Texas is not too far behind too.

J

AMEN brother!

Greg Walker got a lot of love from his former players according to the reports. Braves are staying in the same hotel as the White Sox who were still there today

Personally, I'm not a fan of the ESPN and TBS broadcasts. I would rather have the "home crew" covering the Braves.

Right but the folks living outside the Atlanta market doesn't get those games unless they pay extra for them or find a PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL. And sometimes John Smoltz does the TBS games and it's nice to listen to him. I really miss him doing the Braves games.

I never watch ESPN unless the Braves/Falcons are having a game on there. I have no need to watch any of their shows since I have the interent. I can read about sports from multiple websites and I can watch selective clips if I so desire. I have no need to ever watch ESPN.

Like I said, if the Braves or Falcons have a game on there, I will watch and I will watch the 30 for 30 movies sometimes, but outside of that, my TV is never on ESPN.

I'am predicting we go 1-2, I have no faith in Teheran and Strasburg is going to murder us the way we strike out so much.

1-2, and we at least get out of the Capitol City Dodge in a first place tie.

0-3 won’t be the end of the Braves baseball world.

2-1 would exceed my present expectations for this series.

3-0, and we can start booking something. I don’t know what exactly, but something! tongue.png

J

I have a feeling we send a message to the rest of the league with this series. We will sweep them and our O wil score a ton of runs

Right but the folks living outside the Atlanta market doesn't get those games unless they pay extra for them or find a PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL. And sometimes John Smoltz does the TBS games and it's nice to listen to him. I really miss him doing the Braves games.

I'm technically outside of the Atlanta market, i watch sportsouth and foxsports south.

I'm technically outside of the Atlanta market, i watch sportsouth and foxsports south.

If you get those channels then you're not outside the Braves tv market which is what I mean when I say that.

My expectation: Don't get swept. Our offense is better than theirs, and our pitching has been better SO FAR. If we can tame Bryce Harper the rest of their offense doesn't scare me...but no one really has been able to so far.

Our journey begins with Teheran as he will have to discover better command and control this time around if we are going to have a chance tonight. Either that or the offense bails him out again such as in the unforgettable "Upton Boys' Thrilla" against the Cubs.

We have our work cut out for us, especially since this series is in DC, but as I said....

Just don't get swept.

My expectation: Don't get swept. Our offense is better than theirs, and our pitching has been better SO FAR. If we can tame Bryce Harper the rest of their offense doesn't scare me...but no one really has been able to so far.

Our journey begins with Teheran as he will have to discover better command and control this time around if we are going to have a chance tonight. Either that or the offense bails him out again such as in the unforgettable "Upton Boys' Thrilla" against the Cubs.

We have our work cut out for us, especially since this series is in DC, but as I said....

Just don't get swept.

Teheran must have better command. No doubt. Also I read that he only threw a handful of change ups against the Cubs despite it being his 2nd best pitch.