More On Clabo's Release...with A Big Hint As To Why. From Insider

I really, REALLY don't like this move.

Clabo's next team in.gif

April, 4, 2013

Apr 4

9:44

AM ET

nfl.gifIn order to provide themselves with some additional cap space (possibly to work out a new deal with QB Matt Ryan), the Atlanta Falcons are releasing starting RT Tyson Clabo, according to his agent Chad Speck. So where will he play next?

The market for other RTs this offseason hasn't been that brisk. Sebastian Vollmer re-signed with the Patriots, Phil Loadholt is back with the Vikings and Andre Smith is in the process of re-signing with the Bengals. Meanwhile, Eric Winston has yet to find a new team. Gosder Cherilus is the lone exception, having landed a five-year, $34.5 million deal with the Colts.

There are a number of teams that could use the upgrade that Clabo would provide. Adam Caplan of the Sideline View argues that nine clubs -- Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Arizona, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, Miami, Oakland and Philadelphia -- are all in the process of examining the position on their roster.

As for Atlanta, this decision means that we could see them using a draft pick at OT, unless they're comfortable with Lamar Holmes or Mike Johnson filling in.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a huge Clabo fan since before he was drafted. I was very disappointed that we didn't draft him in 2004. I was ecstatic when we signed him a year later, so I really hate to see him go. I still think he's a much better fit at RG than RT, but that move usually means less money in the next contract, so he probably didn't want to make it.

Sad to see him go, I hope we have a plan in place because our right side was already weak with the RG problem, now it just got a lot weaker on that side.

Been a huge Clabo fan since before he was drafted. I was very disappointed that we didn't draft him in 2004. I was ecstatic when we signed him a year later, so I really hate to see him go. I still think he's a much better fit at RG than RT, but that move usually means less money in the next contract, so he probably didn't want to make it.

Sad to see him go, I hope we have a plan in place because our right side was already weak with the RG problem, now it just got a lot weaker on that side.

"Elementary Robb, the plan got drafted in the 3rd round last year:

gaston-s-football-connections.jpg

HOLMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Elementary Robb, the plan got drafted in the 3rd round last year:

gaston-s-football-connections.jpg

HOLMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every time I mentioned moving Clabo to RG and starting Holmes at RT I got killed on these boards last year. People kept telling me that Holmes was a LT, not a RT & that he shouldn't play on the right side. Thought they were crazy, but this is a logical move. Manley & Holmes (RG/RT) on the right side, I'd at least like to see that be given a shot early on.

Lets hope Holmes has been preparing for this.

I am certian that Holmes is prepared, but that is not the issue.

Offensive lines have to gel and that takes 2 full seasons

We are now officially skrewed becaus we just replaced

Center, RG, RT, and good luck with that.

Sure hope Ryan learns how to scramble, because Baker can contain

the blind side for a limited time.

That is not really a hint............ just speculation.

If that talk about structoring it like Flaccos deal we would not need to add any cap room ( Ryan has 10 million hit, The first year of flacco's is like 7.) So we could actually save cap space by extending him,

I think it is is make rrom for another player or 2 ( Abe and Dansby maybe?)

I don't necessarily see this as a move to free up money for a Ryan extension. Could be to create cap room for another free agency move, and a vote of confidence in Holmes..

I wish that I could in some way agree with you, but I can not.

This move is nothing other than bracing for the storm.

We all remember the blow out AB had about our OL play 14 months ago or whenever it was, so I really doubt TDs plan is to go into next season with a weaker O Line just to save money and pay other players. Either he is targeting someone draft/FA, wants Clabo back at less $$ or he sees we have just as good/better players on the roster.

I wish that I could in some way agree with you, but I can not.

This move is nothing other than bracing for the storm.

Well unless they are front loading the **** out of his contract I doubt that is the case.

With big contracts tpyically the first year is very low( 1 million for example) So unless they plan on front loading it extending him more than likely either ADDS space or becomes cap even for 2013 ( meaning it stays the same)

Am I the only one that feels like this team is falling apart?

Falling apart? No, that is an entirely different sceanario.

What is concerinng; a lot of players are hitting the streets in order

to free up money for ONE Player.

The QB's contracts are going well beyond Greed and this will be their demise.

If you can not pay for quality protection, then the Career of a Greedy NFL QB will be

sadly cut short.

I Guarandammtee it!

Falling apart? No, that is an entirely different sceanario.

What is concerinng; a lot of players are hitting the streets in order

to free up money for ONE Player.

The QB's contracts are going well beyond Greed and this will be their demise.

If you can not pay for quality protection, then the Career of a Greedy NFL QB will be

sadly cut short.

I Guarandammtee it!

And you know this how? I doubt if this is for one player, first year and usually the second year cap hit for a QB is much lower than what Ryan's cap counts this year.