Private Workouts Vs. Actual Draft Choices

I wonder this every year, but has anyone looked in depth at who we bring in for a private visit and how many of those people, if at all, we actually draft? It seems like TD drafts several guys each year that weren't brought in. Maybe some private visits are smoke screens? Or they don't like what they see?

Bringing in a player for a private workout simply means that we want a better look at them. It's not an inherently good or bad thing. In fact, the vast majority of players that we draft are players that we were never reported to have any real interest in. The only real exception maybe being our 1st pick. Sometimes an interview means that we like a player enough that we want to get to know them better, but other times, it can be someone who we have already essentially decided not to draft, but want one more look just to be sure. The best way to look at these interviews is as a representation of what positions that we are targeting, rather than actual players, especially since, who is available, can change at the drop of a hat.

No, they don't but good job missing the point lol. If you dont understand why you would bring in a player before drafting him I dont know what to tell you.

I'm not missing the point. You are. There is a strategy behind EVERY actual and potential personnel move in the NFL. This thread is about the strategy behind private workouts that the Falcons hold. Do they often draft a lot of the guys they bring in, do they just want to kick the tires, or do they want to create a little intrigue and drum up interest on one player to get other teams to focus on that player? That's what this thread is about.

You reallyyyyy think these guys are just picking a name off a list of a guy they've never seen in person?

I never said that. They watch tape on everyone. But they have drafted players that they did not bring in for a private workout. That's my point.

Except of course the later round picks who will not get paid MILLIONS of dollars..excuse me, the board is lagging on me.

i don't even know what smart *** point you're trying to make here.

I would imagine they schedule private workouts with players they liked on tape but had mixed assessments by their scouts. I doubt it's a ploy. No GM is going to say, this guy worked out for the Falcons, we have to go get him before they do.

It's just part of the due diligence each team has to perform in order to develop their draft board.

Yeah, it'd be good to know what percentage of players they drafted were brought in for workouts.

If 65% of the drafted players in the first 4 rounds had private workouts...it gives you a decent idea who we'll take. If it's only 25%, then the private workouts don't tell us a lot besides, as someone mentioned earlier, what positions they're looking at (and what rounds for those positions)

Yeah, it'd be good to know what percentage of players they drafted were brought in for workouts.

If 65% of the drafted players in the first 4 rounds had private workouts...it gives you a decent idea who we'll take. If it's only 25%, then the private workouts don't tell us a lot besides, as someone mentioned earlier, what positions they're looking at (and what rounds for those positions)

Exact point I'm trying to make. We always get excited when we bring someone in for a workout but how often can expect to hear that kid's name called on draft day?

Exact point I'm trying to make. We always get excited when we bring someone in for a workout but how often can expect to hear that kid's name called on draft day?

Well, you can't get too excited about an individual player. Likelihood of getting that guy is pretty low.

The likelihood we draft any given player is going to be 10-20%. But, the likelihood we draft SOME player we brought in may be above 50%, I just haven't sorted the data.

Someone could go through the private workouts threads in the draft and FA forum and get to a shot at the answer.

Well, you can't get too excited about an individual player. Likelihood of getting that guy is pretty low.

The likelihood we draft any given player is going to be 10-20%. But, the likelihood we draft SOME player we brought in may be above 50%, I just haven't sorted the data.

Someone could go through the private workouts threads in the draft and FA forum and get to a shot at the answer.

Actually, it's 3%.

From what I can tell they are a good indicator of what they plan on doing in the first two rounds but after that the draft becomes too unpredictable and becomes more of a 'who is left at the top of the board?' type of drafting instead of 'who do we really want?' like you see earlier on.