Please Prove This ***** Wrong Sj

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/21877947/free-agent-musings-falcons-taking-a-risk-signing-aging-jackson-

Up until Thursday afternoon, I thought the Atlanta Falcons had a terrific free-agency period, re-signing three of their key players.

Then they went and gave running back Steven Jackson a three-year contract.

You just don't pay aging runners in a league where you can find them in the draft. That's my belief.

But I also remember when I ripped the Falcons for signing Michael Turner as a free agent, and that worked out well for a couple of seasons. I had to admit I was wrong. And I told the principles exactly that when it worked out for the team -- including Turner.

This time, it's different. Jackson is older. He'll turn 30 in July, which is ancient for a running back.

Jackson ran for 1,042 yards last season for the Rams, and his per-carry average was 4.1. Not bad, especially behind a line that wasn't very good. He has 2,395 carries on that body, which is a lot.

Here's something else that would concern me: He averaged 4.4 yards per rush on carries 1-10 in a game and 3.7 on carries 11-20. That's telling to me.

I just don't see the explosiveness through the hole from Jackson anymore. He is more of a grinder. Yes, he's better than Turner, who labored to get to the line last season when he averaged 3.6 per rush, but how much better?

Jackson does take care of his body and will be a great teammate. I just think the Falcons are a fast team that plays on a fast track that needs a fast running back. Jackson isn't that. The Falcons might have been better off drafting a young back to step in and play right away. The Redskins showed last year that it can be done, and in a big way, with Alfred Morris.

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff is one of the best in the NFL, a guy whom I respect greatly. And he has proven many of us wrong before. But this is one that I will question until Jackson shows me different.

You can find backs. There's no need to pay guys when they're turning 30. This might turn out to be really a one-year deal and, if so, it might work out. But even so, why not draft a kid and turn him loose?

-- One of the signings I really liked from Thursday was the Saints getting Steelers cornerKeenan Lewis. He is a smooth cover player who is coming off his best season. He can play man or zone, and the Saints badly needed an upgrade. His best football is in front of him. In a division with the Falcons, you have to defend the pass.

-- Matt Cassel to the Vikings. Oh, boy. If Christian Ponder doesn't work out, the Vikings are sunk, anyway. Cassel is just backup. That's all he ever should have been. So if the Vikings think he is the answer, they should forget it.

-- The Eagles have totally revamped their secondary. I like the signings of corners Bradley Fletcher and Cary Williams. I also think if Kenny Phillips is healthy, he will help. Patrick Chung, the other safety that they signed, isn't very good. So give the Eagles good grades for three of the signings, but the fourth not so much.

-- Some will say the Colts overpaid for 49ers defensive end Ricky Jean Francois. But he's the type of player whom teams should sign, players who have their best football in front of them. He did a nice job in a reserve role for the 49ers and will be a starter in Indianapolis. The money is high with four years and $22 million, but this is going to be a nice signing in the end.

Thats surprising I actually think because of the offense we run this will prolong SJAX's career.

We aren't asking him to be the go to guy like he has been the last 9 seasons and with the weapons we have defense's won't be able to key in on the guy.

The only argument he has is age which is fair but for him not to mention the situation he's coming into is stupid and now for that price please Prisco your better than that.

Thats surprising I actually think because of the offense we run this will prolong SJAX's career.

We aren't asking him to be the go to guy like he has been the last 9 seasons and with the weapons we have defense's won't be able to key in on the guy.

The only argument he has is age which is fair but for him not to mention the situation he's coming into is stupid and now for that price please Prisco your better than that.

Exactly, no way will he get close to 300 carries.

Guest Gritz

Prisco's reasoning is actually pretty sound on this.....but the Falcons (and even more specifically TD) realized that we need to focus most of our draft on defense.

Steven is a short term answer to our running back woes.

I like the move, but I like Prisco too.

Prisco's reasoning is actually pretty sound on this.....but the Falcons (and even more specifically TD) realized that we need to focus most of our draft on defense.

Steven is a short term answer to our running back woes.

I like the move, but I like Prisco too.

I think he analyzed it as a general scenario, not team specific as in our needs. Kind of lazy if you ask me.

This article should be directed at whichever team signs Turner, IMO.

Edited by SiViK_OuTkAsT™

So he is a prick because he disagree with the signing? That makes sense. He gave very valid reasons why he didn't like it. Also said he will admit if Jackson proves him wrong. Don't see the problem

I think he is a prick because he wrote a lazy article in my opinion. He says we need a fast back for the team we have now. Does he not know how many 3rd and 1's and 4th and 1's we didn't convert. How bad we wish we could have ran out the clock in the NFCCG? That is why.

Problem with Turner last year was that he didn't have enough burst to get back to the original LOS, much less beyond it most of the time. Jackson IMO, still has the burst he just doesn't have the long speed he once has and isn't quite as explosive. Watching him play though he still runs hard EVERY play, and I think that's going to go a long way here. Turner took his time getting to the line on 9/10 runs. Ran with no aggression and got stood up waaaaaay too much. Barely fought for extra yards. That's the exact opposite of SJax.

I don't really expect more than 4.1-4.4 YPC, but I do think he'll pick up positive yards a lot more consistently than Turner did. Also factor in the fact that Sjax was the one and only starting weapon by a mile in STL (meaning defenses keyed on him a ton), and what he does in the passing game and I think he'll have a huge impact. People fail to realize that our RBs caught 100+ passes last year. He can play in the no huddle, catch screens, dump offs, pass protect and runs the draw play really well. Turner sucked at all of those minus the pass protection.

"Here's something else that would concern me: He averaged 4.4 yards per rush on carries 1-10 in a game and 3.7 on carries 11-20. That's telling to me."

See, to me, that stat looks really nice. All last year I kept hearing that Turner needed to get the ball 20+ times to get into a rhythm and that's why he wasn't successful. With the way our offense is built, I'd much rather have a guy that can get it done in 10-15 carries.

Problem with Turner last year was that he didn't have enough burst to get back to the original LOS, much less beyond it most of the time. Jackson IMO, still has the burst he just doesn't have the long speed he once has and isn't quite as explosive. Watching him play though he still runs hard EVERY play, and I think that's going to go a long way here. Turner took his time getting to the line on 9/10 runs. Ran with no aggression and got stood up waaaaaay too much. Barely fought for extra yards. That's the exact opposite of SJax.

I don't really expect more than 4.1-4.4 YPC, but I do think he'll pick up positive yards a lot more consistently than Turner did. Also factor in the fact that Sjax was the one and only starting weapon by a mile in STL (meaning defenses keyed on him a ton), and what he does in the passing game and I think he'll have a huge impact. People fail to realize that our RBs caught 100+ passes last year. He can play in the no huddle, catch screens, dump offs, pass protect and runs the draw play really well. Turner sucked at all of those minus the pass protection.

I don't think we will hardly ever see SJ get tackled 6-8 yards behind the line either.

I think he is a prick because he wrote a lazy article in my opinion. He says we need a fast back for the team we have now. Does he not know how many 3rd and 1's and 4th and 1's we didn't convert. How bad we wish we could have ran out the clock in the NFCCG? That is why.

I think he is right. We do need a fast back. And we couldn't convert on 3rd and short because our line can't get a push. We will struggle to run the ball next year if our line doesn't improve

I think he is right. We do need a fast back. And we couldn't convert on 3rd and short because our line can't get a push. We will struggle to run the ball next year if our line doesn't improve

You don't think the inability to convert had anything to do with Turner's indecisiveness and lack of burst. I think SJ can get to the line with more force quicker than MT having to pick up his 10 yard steam. I'm not saying it wasn't on the line either, but a lot of it was Turner too. The line will be changed a bit this year so there is that, lets see if it gets better. We can agree to disagree, I just think the article is too generic and should be directed at whoever picks up Turner

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

Does anyone know how much we're paying him? I think the whole thing with green bay was a ploy to get a bigger contract. I hope we didn't pay him much considering he's an aging back on a pass first offense that will likely be splitting carries in 70-30 timeshare.

Edited by Dirty Bird Nation

Well put Kiwi and that about sums it up perfectly.

I think he's got a point or two... But it looks like it's written by a Falcon hater. I agree with the riskiness of signing a 10 year back. That shouldn't be done in the NFL. The only people who should sign ten year backs are their own teams... A re-sign. Too much to prove one you're out of the nest.

And those 3rd&1's and 4th&1's should be moot. We shouldn't have even let it get to that. Why we couldn't keep our foot on the gas the whole game is a mystery to me. What are we trying to be; nice? If you start scoring, KEEP scoring. Don't even GET to 3rd down, once it's ever at second, go for the first. Treat a 2nd down like a 3rd and go for the 1st. Don't play that stupid clock control game. That doesn't work in today's NFL like it used to. Obviously.