Tennessee Thread

I’m looking forward to Saturday. Biggest regular season game for UT since 2001 at Florida. 

I’m glad that the win over Kentucky was a very easy one, rather than a hard fought, physical, down to the wire contest. I definitely know that it will take an incredible performance in all three phases to win in Athens. If it was in Knoxville, I’d be much more confident than I am now.

1 hour ago, eddiesauto said:

I’m looking forward to Saturday. Biggest regular season game for UT since 2001 at Florida. 

I’m glad that the win over Kentucky was a very easy one, rather than a hard fought, physical, down to the wire contest. I definitely know that it will take an incredible performance in all three phases to win in Athens. If it was in Knoxville, I’d be much more confident than I am now.

Georgia has yet to play their best game…. And may not. If we had played you guys saturday, I think we would have lost. But if we play the way we should, it’ll be a very hard fought physical game. There could be some injuries after this one. Here’s to wishing both sides play a clean and injury free game. 

Unless something miraculous happens, this one is a loss. Today has been rough, but Georgia is a better team. They’re defending champions for a reason and a tough loss to a superior opponent does not take away from the great things that have happened this season.

Let’s learn from this one, make Missouri regret joining the SEC, beat the Gamecocks in Columbia before thrashing Vanderbilt at their place. I’m sure about 90% in attendance will be wearing orange

Vols were flat out whooped today. Really surprised at home tense the whole team seemed to be from the kickoff. Still a lot to play for this season though. This game served as a good reminder that while we've been out scheming people all year, there is still a noticeable talent gap between us and the top.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

12 minutes ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Vols were flat out whooped today. Really surprised at home tense the whole team seemed to be from the kickoff. Still a lot to play for this season though. This game served as a good reminder that while we've been out scheming people all year, there is still a noticeable talent gap between us and the top.

That's the question with Heupel that's left. I think he can be a good coach and he's obviously worked a miracle to get Tennessee where they are now. He just has to prove he can close the talent gap and recruit at a high level in SEC terms. He's got a good class coming in but right now it's still just #5 in the conference depending on where you look. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back to Knox County. I left Williams Brice right before halftime.

Gave Rattler way too much time to throw and the secondary didn’t cover anybody. It seems likely that many on the defensive staff will be gone after the Bowl game. It’s nearly impossible to beat anybody only forcing them to punt once and not getting any turnovers. I’ve heard multiple reports on why Jeremy Banks didn’t make the trip.

South Carolina made Hooker uncomfortable at times, but this loss is on that horrible defensive gameplan and lack of pressure by the D-line, plus the coverage being lousy in the secondary.

Hopefully Hooker’s injury isn’t too serious. I also hope the team sees what went wrong (which was basically everything on defense) in film study then begin the focus on Vanderbilt starting Sunday afternoon.  

11 hours ago, fuego said:

Glad that prediction was wrong. Karma hit tonight on running up the score. lol.

You know when I saw what the vols did to missouri even taking a time out at the very end to get another touchdown I had a bad feeling about this game for them.  There is a reason you should respect your opponent and I don't think this year's team did.  Also the one thing we have seen with teams like the vols and alabama this year is they struggle on the road. People forget how much the vols struggled to beat an average pitt team on the road with their backup qb.  South Carolina has a terrific game plan offensively and what they did to hyatt by putting a db on him the whole game who could keep up with him was brilliant.  

41 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Tough break for Hooker but he turned an entire program around. He'll be legendary in Tennessee forever for it. 

Very true. Although the Tennessee fan base has some of the worst fans in the country, we also have some of the most loyal and passionate who literally always remember players that did a great job.

Some of them stick around the Knoxville area, such as Erik Ainge and Billy Ratliff. He was the one, along with Darwin Walker, who knocked the Arkansas linemen into Clint Stoerner causing the late fumble in the 1998 season. 

We haven’t had all that much to get excited about since Fulmer was forced out in 2008, but guys like Hooker have changed the culture here, provided great memories and the base for a much brighter future than before they got here.

Vols LB says they expected Scar to lay down, basically just to roll out their helmets.

”“Like I said, we just … I assume we just felt like it was gonna be given to us,” Beasley said. “We felt like we didn't have to, you know, go out there and work for it. We thought they was just gonna, you know, lay down. Props to them. You know, they came out, they played a great game. They played physical.”

On 11/20/2022 at 11:39 AM, SacFalcFan said:

You know when I saw what the vols did to missouri even taking a time out at the very end to get another touchdown I had a bad feeling about this game for them.  There is a reason you should respect your opponent and I don't think this year's team did.  Also the one thing we have seen with teams like the vols and alabama this year is they struggle on the road. People forget how much the vols struggled to beat an average pitt team on the road with their backup qb.  South Carolina has a terrific game plan offensively and what they did to hyatt by putting a db on him the whole game who could keep up with him was brilliant.  

I wish Missouri’s head coach hadn’t shot off his mouth about Tennessee during the off season. Otherwise Milton definitely doesn’t air it out, then have a couple running plays to score that last touchdown. Just would’ve gone victory formation. But he did and whether it be right, wrong or indifferent, the score was ran up. 

I figure the Vanderbilt game and the Bowl game will basically be an audition for Joe Milton to see if he can be the guy next year. At this point, I don’t think he’s reliable enough yet. He has a cannon of an arm but very little accuracy and no touch on the ball. I hope he proves me wrong