• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So happy to see this. Way to go, Tennessee guys!

I saw this and just had to. Sorry  

I wish $2.5-3.75 million was a low number for me. 

Posted Images

this smells like a uf type buyout saving move.  ut trying to come up with a reason so they don't have to pay the 12 million dollar buyout when they fire butch jones.. coach mac could have gotten his full 12 if he wanted to stay and fight, but it was clear he wanted out so he took the 4 million.  tennessee just fire him, pay him 12 million, and hire your next guy who is 7th on your list.. 

3 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

this smells like a uf type buyout saving move.  ut trying to come up with a reason so they don't have to pay the 12 million dollar buyout when they fire butch jones.. coach mac could have gotten his full 12 if he wanted to stay and fight, but it was clear he wanted out so he took the 4 million.  tennessee just fire him, pay him 12 million, and hire your next guy who is 7th on your list.. 

If he had taken more like 6-7, I think I would have agreed with you, but given that of that 4 mill, 3 of it is going to CSU to cover his buyout, I'm wondering if they might not have something else substantial that they didn't want to release unless necessary. #tinfoilhatalert and all that jazz, but just seems a bit odd. Only other scenario I can envision is that he sees an opportunity to make nearly as much in another job in the upcoming season, but that would be surprising I think.

2 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

If he had taken more like 6-7, I think I would have agreed with you, but given that of that 4 mill, 3 of it is going to CSU to cover his buyout, I'm wondering if they might not have something else substantial that they didn't want to release unless necessary. #tinfoilhatalert and all that jazz, but just seems a bit odd. Only other scenario I can envision is that he sees an opportunity to make nearly as much in another job in the upcoming season, but that would be surprising I think.

jimmy sexton didn't want to battle florida due to some of his own candidates being interested in the florida job so he might have only negotiated to get Mac 4 million (i am sure with some future promises to coach mac), but that hasn't been confirmed.  i doubt it was that low, but that's been the number that has been guessed and only 1 million will go to CSU.  we will know about that after the open records request, but coach mac will land on his feet.  we are having a lot of pathetic ADs giving huge buyouts to mediocre to just good coaches and then having buyer's remorse so they are doing what they can to try and not have to pay buyouts.  a lot of coaches that might be fired from bret b to gus malzahn to kevin sumlin have some bigger buyouts.  it will be interesting to see how many are actually told to get lost and we will swallow that buyout. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

jimmy sexton didn't want to battle florida due to some of his own candidates being interested in the florida job so he might have only negotiated to get Mac 4 million (i am sure with some future promises to coach mac), but that hasn't been confirmed.  i doubt it was that low, but that's been the number that has been guessed and only 1 million will go to CSU.  we will know about that after the open records request, but coach mac will land on his feet.  we are having a lot of pathetic ADs giving huge buyouts to mediocre to just good coaches and then having buyer's remorse so they are doing what they can to try and not have to pay buyouts.  a lot of coaches that might be fired from bret b to gus malzahn to kevin sumlin have some bigger buyouts.  it will be interesting to see how many are actually told to get lost and we will swallow that buyout. 

Interesting. Yeah... obviously it's all a lot of speculation right now, but the number I'd seen floated was 4, with 3 going to CSU... maybe that was off.

Agreed on the ADs making bad contracts though... the "market" is setting the contract terms and some ADs are too lazy to fight on some of the sticking points. If you're a school like UF or UT... I don't see any reason why the buyout need be that high... if you're a good coach, it's not like someone's going to "buy" you from UF or UT... what program would feasibly have a shot anyways? Maybe a handful... those are top ~15 jobs in CFB at a minimum. And if a top 5 job comes along... guess what, no buyout that you can reasonably put on a contract is going to scare off a program of that caliber from taking your coach if the coach wants their job... they'll work out the finances.

To compare, Kirby's terms were:

The buyout terms on either side are both also spelled out in the memo:

• Smart would owe $3.75 million if he leaves in 2016, $3 million if he leaves in 2017, $2.5 million if he leaves in 2018, and continues to descend along those lines the final three years.
  • If Georgia terminates Smart it would owe: $13.5 million in 2016, or $10.8 million in 2017, or $7.050,375 in 2018, or $4.700,250 in 2019, or $2.35,125 in 2020, or 62.67% of his remaining salary if it happens in 2021.

That's a pretty big number on the surface in 2016... but who the eff fires their coach in year 1 without cause... move along. 10.8 mill in 2017... ok,  so just under 3x one year's salary, but in year 2... again... if you hire a guy and don't give him 2 years, you kinda deserve to eat some financial burden. So year 3... (Mac's firing)... 2x salary. That's a fair buyout IMO. It is interesting to me that Kirby's buyout numbers if he chose to leave are so low, but I would imagine that knowing Kirby is a UGA alum that they were not too concerned on that front.

8 hours ago, AF89 said:

Heard Butch burnt a QB's redshirt today for 3 plays? Nothing says "I don't give a ****, it won't be my problem anyway!" like pulling something like that in the 9th game of season (also non conference).

He should immediately be fired for that attitude alone forget all the other stuff.

He ended up playing the entire second half. But Butch also said he would burn his red shirt for one play if JG’s helmet came off.