Tennessee Thread

11 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Butch Jones statement

"The assertion that I ever attempted to belittle or demean a young man for taking action to help another person is absolutely false. To the contrary, I did all I could to assist the former student in question. During the course of the judicial process, campus officials, as well as the young man's own words, will clearly establish that I have done nothing wrong. I will fight all of these false attacks on my character, and I know that once this process has been completed, my reputation will be affirmed."

Good for him, if you're innocent come out swinging. 

"The assertion that I ever attempted to belittle or demean"

This is not definitively saying that he didn't call the kid a traitor, it's speaking to intent, not actions.

"I did all I could to assist the former student in question"

Still dodging here... "all I could" is incredibly subjective, and "assist" how?

I'm not saying he did or didn't say it, condone it, etc... what I am seeing is that this was a pretty well crafted statement that doesn't expressly deny the allegations, rather gives the illusion of such. Will be interesting to keep an eye on this, but just as with everyone else, gotta let the facts play out.

On February 10, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Volunteer Falcon said:

NCAA requires you to be over 21 to sign without a parent or guardian.

59 minutes ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Oh look the woman who was fired for having sex with Trae Golden.

i know most people don't care but the Tennessean is very anti-UT. You will get a lot of one sided stories from them. 

Not sure why the first quote popped up.

But that's how I feel about UGA and the AJC.

13 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Oh look the woman who was fired for having sex with Trae Golden.

i know most people don't care but the Tennessean is very anti-UT. You will get a lot of one sided stories from them. 

The problem is that from what the article states, an independent investigation cleared her:

" An investigation conducted by an outside legal consultant hired by the university later cleared Wright, but by then the damage had been done. The investigation took more than a year to be made public."

45 minutes ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

The problem is that from what the article states, an independent investigation cleared her:

" An investigation conducted by an outside legal consultant hired by the university later cleared Wright, but by then the damage had been done. The investigation took more than a year to be made public."

It is well known there were relations between her and Golden, that's the reason Golden was forced to transfer from Tennessee very suddenly. As someone posted in the comments below it is amazing how the Tennessean clears her of any wrong doing but still paints several athletes in a guilty light when they were cleared in the past. Again take anything you read from that paper with a grain of salt. 

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

• 1 month later...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/ut/2016/03/30/butch-jones-phone-records-show-calls-drae-bowles/82441756/

so what bowles said was correct regarding the phones calls.   also very big news that tennessee was denied in their request to have a change of venue from nashville to knoxville.. less of a chance of volunteer shenanigans.  

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

the police calling butch jones at the point they did is wrong period.  we saw this type of nonsense by the tallahassee pd.  

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/ut/2016/04/13/knoxville-police-calls-ut-coach-butch-jones-rape-investigation/82467112/

The Tennessean is trying so hard to keep this stuff in the spotlight. I feel bad for them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2016 at 4:00 PM, Volunteer Falcon said:

The Tennessean is trying so hard to keep this stuff in the spotlight. I feel bad for them.

i don't see that being the case.. espn and other news reporting agencies are also posting articles on this.. it's not just that paper keeping it alive.. it's an ongoing story and will be til the lawsuit is finally settled.. i saw this one post and it seems to be dead on regarding this situation. 

"I think people are missing the point on these things as it pertains to the lawsuit. His statements along with Dave Harts have proven to be inconsistent, if not outright lies. Butch said at a press conference that he had no dialogue with the accused players. Phone records show that he received a call from KPD at 8:20 and called Johnson at 8:22 and again at 8:26 and that he did indeed end up talking to Johnson prior to the police making contact. Remember this is a civil matter and the burden of proof is different.

Butch also called multiple players, including Maggitt. After speaking with Jones, Maggitt confronted Bowles. Butch's phone records also show he called Bowles twice, just as Bowles says. Bowles also says that Butch called him a traitor in the first call and then later called to apologize. Butch has publicly denied this, but Bowles' account is supported by the phone records.

Butch's phone records also show that Butch contacted the atty that ended up representing Johnson 3 times on the day he was informed of the investigation. This is another potential contradiction for Dave Hart who says that the AD does not arrange counsel for student athletes.

Dave Hart said at his PC that they have no role and don't get involved in the investigative process. The phone records prove this to be total BS.

Anyhow, the title IX suit does not require that the plaintiffs prove that any actual crimes were committed. The suit deals with how the investigations are handled as it pertains to all parties involved. The suit alleges that their student athletes receive preferential treatment and that their handling of these incidents put witnesses and the accusers in compromised positions and subject them to intimidation. It also alleges that UT's practices shield their athletes from prosecution.

I don't think there is any way that this actually goes to trial. I don't think it sees discovery."

46 minutes ago, Carter said:

Ouch.

Yup shows you the mess this staff walked into and the great job they've done to turn it around. There have been no seniors worth a draft spot the past 2 years. Dooley did his best to run the program into the ground. Maggit would have been drafted if he could of stayed healthy.

1 minute ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Yup shows you the mess this staff walked into and the great job they've done to turn it around. There have been no seniors worth a draft spot the past 2 years. Dooley did his best to run the program into the ground. 

I can't make too much out of it, because I believe UT will have several guys drafted in 2017.

Talent level has definitely improved across the board since Butch arrived. I still don't think he's a very good coach, but he's definitely done a good job in recruiting.

48 minutes ago, Carter said:

I can't make too much out of it, because I believe UT will have several guys drafted in 2017.

Talent level has definitely improved across the board since Butch arrived. I still don't think he's a very good coach, but he's definitely done a good job in recruiting.

I agree, average coach, good recruiter.

4 hours ago, Carter said:

Ouch.

yep and so did sam houston state.. they have had plenty of 4 stars in that program even with the previous staff where they should have had at least 1 guy drafted in 2 years.  to me it's not a talent thing at all.  it's a player development thing with the volunteer staff.  they can get talented guys, but they need to develop them.  they will have guys drafted in 2017, but until then if I am UGA or any other staff you use this against the vol's staff in recruiting.  You plaster it and repeat it over and over again with every recruit that has "tennessee" in their final 5.  it's a fact that the volunteer coaching staff can't dismiss.  they can try and blame dooley, but that won't fly.  

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

I'm just amazed that Marquez North had the career he did at UT and thought declaring early was a good idea. He should have been a lot better than what his production actually was.

i saw vol fans on volnation and volquest say that no worries north was at worst a 4th round selection..  so i guess some thought he would be a mid round pick at the very least.  yeah north should have stayed, but we don't know his home situation.  he might have left early due to family.  out of the 122 (give or take a few) players who declared i believe 30 were not drafted.  

There hasn't been any draft eligible players worth a selection the last 2 years due to injuries, dumb issues (see AJ Johnson), or overall talent level. Rival staffs can try to spin it however they want but that's just the facts. If the 3 juniors had not returned they all would have been drafted. 6-7 Tennessee players will be drafted next year. 

• SacFalcFan featured and unfeatured this topic