Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,731 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Yep the SEC has some real coaching talent. I think people just realize how unreal the expectations are at UCLA. Alford in 5 full seasons at UCLA made the tournament 4 times and the sweet 16 3 times. I get that it's UCLA, but how many coaches are you going to find out there that can get you those results? 

Yep..  that type of results gets you extensions at many FBS programs, but it gets you fired at UCLA.  If Barnes does that at Tennessee they love him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

Yep..  that type of results gets you extensions at many FBS programs, but it gets you fired at UCLA.  If Barnes does that at Tennessee they love him. 

4 tournaments out of 5 years and 3 sweet 16 appearances is good pretty much everyone except maybe for UK, UCLA, UNC, Duke, and Kansas. If you miss the tournament one year at one of those places, you better have at least one final 4 appearance. 

Although, Ben Howland was at UCLA for 10 years and made the tournament 7 of the years (7/9 if you count the rebuild he did his first season), and they fired him. He made 3 straight final 4's from 2006-2008, but never made it out of the 2nd round his last 5 years. Pretty stupid to fire him even though he only made it 3/5 years at the end IMO.

That 07-08 UCLA team was something else though: Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Darren Collison, and even Luc Mbah a Moute. That team was STACKED. 

Anyways, off my soap box lol. UCLA has unrealistic expectations. 

fibonaccisquared likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tl;dr said:

4 tournaments out of 5 years and 3 sweet 16 appearances is good pretty much everyone except maybe for UK, UCLA, UNC, Duke, and Kansas. If you miss the tournament one year at one of those places, you better have at least one final 4 appearance. 

Although, Ben Howland was at UCLA for 10 years and made the tournament 7 of the years (7/9 if you count the rebuild he did his first season), and they fired him. He made 3 straight final 4's from 2006-2008, but never made it out of the 2nd round his last 5 years. Pretty stupid to fire him even though he only made it 3/5 years at the end IMO.

That 07-08 UCLA team was something else though: Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Darren Collison, and even Luc Mbah a Moute. That team was STACKED. 

Anyways, off my soap box lol. UCLA has unrealistic expectations. 

agreed..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't posted in awhile, but I'm really glad to have Rick Barnes still. Proud of the effort of fighting back from the big deficit vs Purdue, but don't consider it a moral victory. Now I guess it's Braves Baseball & Predators Hockey to follow til football comes around again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 9:33 AM, SacFalcFan said:

yeah things are bad at UCLA when you can't attract a coach from a school like tennessee to come over there.. nothing against tennessee, but like other SEC schools not named kentucky they are a football first school.  not to mention their basketball history just isn't very good, never having reached the final 4 once.  yet UCLA can't get their coach?  wow just shows how much of a cluster it is down there. great to the vols and IMO the SEC overall.. the sec is looking like they are turning into one of the top basketball conferences in the nation and the coaching talent is awesome. 

Barnes is now the highest paid coach at UT, making more than Pruitt. Even though the results have not often shown it, basketball at Tennessee has always meant more than basketball at the rest of the SEC schools except Kentucky. It has always been a big moneymaker and they did not build than big arena for women's basketball. This Barnes affair may be worthwhile in that the school powers that be have finally acknowledged that the ceiling for Vol basketball might be higher in at least the short term than Vol football and holding basketball back has not proven helpful over the years to building Vol football back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah not to surprised by that, I thought Kyle Phillips may have an outside shot. Anyone who would have been drafted this year left as Juniors during the coaching change. I guess I should be grateful CJP somehow beat two top 15 (at the time) teams with that crap roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 1:13 PM, Volunteer Falcon said:

Yeah not to surprised by that, I thought Kyle Phillips may have an outside shot. Anyone who would have been drafted this year left as Juniors during the coaching change. I guess I should be grateful CJP somehow beat two top 15 (at the time) teams with that crap roster.

Same. For what it's worth, I think a Derek Dooley or Butch Jones coached Tennessee team loses to both Auburn, Kentucky. I thought we'd stand a fighting chance for a bowl game after the Kentucky game, but that ended quickly. I've turned off the UT vs Vanderbilt game early the last two seasons due to embarrassing performances against those guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 3:12 PM, Doctor Kildare said:

Barnes is now the highest paid coach at UT, making more than Pruitt. Even though the results have not often shown it, basketball at Tennessee has always meant more than basketball at the rest of the SEC schools except Kentucky. It has always been a big moneymaker and they did not build than big arena for women's basketball. This Barnes affair may be worthwhile in that the school powers that be have finally acknowledged that the ceiling for Vol basketball might be higher in at least the short term than Vol football and holding basketball back has not proven helpful over the years to building Vol football back.

At nearly 37 years old, I never thought I'd see the day that the Basketball coach at UT made more than the Football Coach, but Barnes has earned a nice raise, although I would've liked deeper NCAA Tournament runs. Maybe my Vols will be lucky enough to get to a Bowl game in football, plus the elite 8 in basketball. One can hope anyways.

 

On a side note about men's basketball, it was nice to see the Vols get three guys drafted. Hopefully they'll all fare well in the NBA. I'll have to see them play in Atlanta in upcoming seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Welp it's almost football time in Tennessee! Here's hoping to a season of improvement and a bowl birth. In another news Tennessee did pick up a big time commitment today from DE/OLB B.J. Ojulari!

Edited by Volunteer Falcon
g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Welp it's almost football time in Tennessee! Here's hoping to a season of improvement and a bowl birth. In another news Tennessee did pick up a big time commitment today from DE/OLB B.J. Ojulari!

Any news on Aubrey Solomon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we know gibbs didn't get his waiver approved.. now it will be interesting regarding solomon what happens there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

we know gibbs didn't get his waiver approved.. now it will be interesting regarding solomon what happens there. 

Take a look at the wildly different expectations from Pruitt vs. Mullen:

"You don’t just transfer from one SEC school to the other (and expect to play immediately) without being a graduate transfer," Pruitt said. "Deangelo knew that when he came here, and he came here because he believed in the coaching staff and for his future development in the game of football. He’s done a really nice job this offseason.”

"Oh, yeah, we’re definitely going to apply for a waiver for him and see," Mullen said. "We feel good about it, of having him be able to play. I think you look at all the previous scenarios that are out there around the country, we feel we have a good opportunity."
 

Who would have thought it was Pruitt who would be the more level headed and logical of those 2 hires. :lol: If UT can weather the storm to let Pruitt build up some talent, they'll probably find they made the better hire on that cycle.

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of almost football time in Tennessee, apparently they'll be allowing beer sales at Neyland Stadium starting with the BYU game on September 7. It doesn't affect me much, as I no longer drink alcohol, but I thought it was interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 3:58 PM, fibonaccisquared said:

Take a look at the wildly different expectations from Pruitt vs. Mullen:

"You don’t just transfer from one SEC school to the other (and expect to play immediately) without being a graduate transfer," Pruitt said. "Deangelo knew that when he came here, and he came here because he believed in the coaching staff and for his future development in the game of football. He’s done a really nice job this offseason.”

"Oh, yeah, we’re definitely going to apply for a waiver for him and see," Mullen said. "We feel good about it, of having him be able to play. I think you look at all the previous scenarios that are out there around the country, we feel we have a good opportunity."
 

Who would have thought it was Pruitt who would be the more level headed and logical of those 2 hires. :lol: If UT can weather the storm to let Pruitt build up some talent, they'll probably find they made the better hire on that cycle.

I think Pruitt has grown up a lot in the role so far. The current staff we have is probably one of the best that UT has ever had. If he can keep the train on the tracks I like where it's headed. As far as Solomon goes no one seems to know anything right now. He's gone from taking snaps with the 1's to taking snaps at the back of the line which leads me to believe they don't think he'll be playing this year. 

fibonaccisquared likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 3:42 PM, Volunteer Falcon said:

I think Pruitt has grown up a lot in the role so far. The current staff we have is probably one of the best that UT has ever had. If he can keep the train on the tracks I like where it's headed. As far as Solomon goes no one seems to know anything right now. He's gone from taking snaps with the 1's to taking snaps at the back of the line which leads me to believe they don't think he'll be playing this year. 

Here  is where Pruitt is light years ahead of Mullen - assistant coach hires.   Pruitt has a decent staff with Sherrer(DC) and Ansley(Secondary) with Chaney(OC) and Martin.   3/4 of those guys can recruit.   Chaney isn’t a recruiter but solid coach.   You gotta have recruiters on the staff and the HC has to be a great recruiter - UT has all of this and UF has none.

Volunteer Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight's performance wasn't great, but it was good enough until it really mattered with 15 seconds left in regulation. Our Defensive Coordinator is also the Secondary Coach, so he needs to have somebody else coach the DB's. That said, Alontae Taylor should've known by high school to NEVER let the WR get behind him with that little time left. Tackle him if you have to. Take the Defensive Holding or P.I., just don't give up the big play. This loss feels about like 2010 in Baton Rouge on the last play, but the biggest difference is that LSU was much better than UT. BYU, isn't all that great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

Tonight's performance wasn't great, but it was good enough until it really mattered with 15 seconds left in regulation. Our Defensive Coordinator is also the Secondary Coach, so he needs to have somebody else coach the DB's. That said, Alontae Taylor should've known by high school to NEVER let the WR get behind him with that little time left. Tackle him if you have to. Take the Defensive Holding or P.I., just don't give up the big play. This loss feels about like 2010 in Baton Rouge on the last play, but the biggest difference is that LSU was much better than UT. BYU, isn't all that great.

Especially in college where it's only a 15 yard penalty. It would have taken 3 or 4 of those to put BYU in FG range and there wasn't enough time for all that.

BTW, I'm one that thinks PI in college should be a spot foul.

eddiesauto likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Especially in college where it's only a 15 yard penalty. It would have taken 3 or 4 of those to put BYU in FG range and there wasn't enough time for all that.

BTW, I'm one that thinks PI in college should be a spot foul.

I can agree with both counts. I'm not opposed to it being a spot foul either. Even the commentators were shocked at how he got beat on that play. I hate to bash a college player, but one has to know situational awareness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida vs Tennessee kickoff is at 12 noon on the 21st in Gainesville. At least I'll be at work during our next huge embarrassing failure against those guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now