Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,732 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2019 at 10:53 PM, Volunteer Falcon said:

Great win today as Tennessee dismantled Kentucky. Hopefully this gets thing back on track heading into the tourney. 

Unfortunately I had to work throughout the whole game, so I wasn't aware til I clocked out shortly after 4:00, but it sounded like a totally dominating win. Agreed as well about the game in Lexington. I knew they'd be very difficult to defeat up there, but the Wildcats were very impressive in the win. I muted it there in the second half because Jay Bilas talking about Kentucky was even more annoying than John Madden talking about Brett Favre. Here's hoping for a big win in Auburn, then an SEC Tournament Championship

Volunteer Falcon likes this

15 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

Unfortunately I had to work throughout the whole game, so I wasn't aware til I clocked out shortly after 4:00, but it sounded like a totally dominating win. Agreed as well about the game in Lexington. I knew they'd be very difficult to defeat up there, but the Wildcats were very impressive in the win. I muted it there in the second half because Jay Bilas talking about Kentucky was even more annoying than John Madden talking about Brett Favre. Here's hoping for a big win in Auburn, then an SEC Tournament Championship

Looks like they've found their defensive identity again!

16 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Pearl just grinning from ear to ear

It was beautiful!!! Never thought in my life I'd ever see Auburn win the SEC basketball tournament!!

Posted (edited)

That one definitely hurt, team looked like they had all the emotion taken out of them after the UK game. They came out flat and Auburn lit them up. 

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

ouch, I would’ve never thought it was even an option for Barnes. I simply don’t understand why he would do it

UCLA is basketball royalty still.  It will be interesting to see if the Vols can keep him. 

8 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

ouch, I would’ve never thought it was even an option for Barnes. I simply don’t understand why he would do it

UCLA is a blue blood of college basketball. It's a job that a lot of coaches dream of. I think Barnes will have a hard time passing up the chance to return UCLA to glory and then riding off into the sunset a legend 

If Barnes bolts, UT needs to look at Steve Forbes from ETSU. Not sure if there any bad blood there though

4 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

UCLA is a blue blood of college basketball. It's a job that a lot of coaches dream of. I think Barnes will have a hard time passing up the chance to return UCLA to glory and then riding off into the sunset a legend 

yep..  a lot of football first fans just don't understand that concept when it comes to basketball with UCLA.  they are one of the premier programs in the nation historically. 

My UT fandom has made me accept the fact that he is already gone, Grant Williams will go pro, Bone will go pro, Josiah James will get out of his scholarship and head elsewhere. 

46 minutes ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Rick Barnes will remain at Tennessee.

LOLOLOLOL. Not laughing at Tennessee, but at UCLA. UCLA is a blue blood, but nobody wants to go out there. Not on that budget that are operating under. 

g-dawg likes this

9 hours ago, tl;dr said:

LOLOLOLOL. Not laughing at Tennessee, but at UCLA. UCLA is a blue blood, but nobody wants to go out there. Not on that budget that are operating under. 

yeah things are bad at UCLA when you can't attract a coach from a school like tennessee to come over there.. nothing against tennessee, but like other SEC schools not named kentucky they are a football first school.  not to mention their basketball history just isn't very good, never having reached the final 4 once.  yet UCLA can't get their coach?  wow just shows how much of a cluster it is down there. great to the vols and IMO the SEC overall.. the sec is looking like they are turning into one of the top basketball conferences in the nation and the coaching talent is awesome. 

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

yeah things are bad at UCLA when you can't attract a coach from a school like tennessee to come over there.. nothing against tennessee, but like other SEC schools not named kentucky they are a football first school.  not to mention their basketball history just isn't very good, never having reached the final 4 once.  yet UCLA can't get their coach?  wow just shows how much of a cluster it is down there. great to the vols and IMO the SEC overall.. the sec is looking like they are turning into one of the top basketball conferences in the nation and the coaching talent is awesome. 

UCLA struggles from the same issues that Indiana does IMO. Both of these schools have a fanbase that *believes* they are an elite program. UCLA actually even has a history to support that... but it's more or less relegated to the past. Alford years were ok there, but Sweet16 doesn't scratch the "elite itch" for a program that has several finals and final 4 appearances in the prior decade, along with their history of overall championships as well.

They are not in a good spot currently, and they aren't as desirable a spot as they once were either, making the recruiting harder. If I were a coach, I'd be concerned about unrealistic expectations in going somewhere like UCLA... Not to mention the cost of living differential in LA vs Knoxville... the 5M they offered is roughly equivalent to 3.1 in Knoxville between state taxes, cost of living, etc... AND I don't have to deal with LA traffic. If I'm 30 years old... I might consider the UCLA job. At 60+, unless I've got family in the area, no thanks.

Edited by fibonaccisquared

6 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

those  deer pelts must be fetching a large return as these UT coaching budgets sure seem to be expanding as is the waste band of their new OC.

3 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

UCLA struggles from the same issues that Indiana does IMO. Both of these schools have a fanbase that *believes* they are an elite program. UCLA actually even has a history to support that... but it's more or less relegated to the past. Alford years were ok there, but Sweet16 doesn't scratch the "elite itch" for a program that has several finals and final 4 appearances in the prior decade, along with their history of overall championships as well.

They are not in a good spot currently, and they aren't as desirable a spot as they once were either, making the recruiting harder. If I were a coach, I'd be concerned about unrealistic expectations in going somewhere like UCLA... Not to mention the cost of living differential in LA vs Knoxville... the 5M they offered is roughly equivalent to 3.1 in Knoxville between state taxes, cost of living, etc... AND I don't have to deal with LA traffic. If I'm 30 years old... I might consider the UCLA job. At 60+, unless I've got family in the area, no thanks.

the vols made barnes top 5 basketball coach in the nation in salary with what 4.7 million and you are dead on regarding cost of living.  barnes being 64 years old having to basically redo what ucla is now to what it needs to be doesn't make a lot of sense considering all those factors IMO.  i thought it made sense for barnes to stay with that big raise.  he will most likely retire at tennessee and he has a chance to turn them into a contender yearly for the SEC.  

9 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Yep the SEC has some real coaching talent. I think people just realize how unreal the expectations are at UCLA. Alford in 5 full seasons at UCLA made the tournament 4 times and the sweet 16 3 times. I get that it's UCLA, but how many coaches are you going to find out there that can get you those results?