Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,633 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

After watching some highlights of Jeremy Pruitt’s post-game press conference, if I was a VOLS fan I would be concerned - just don’t think he has temperament to be a Head Coach - throw in a losing season and who knows what he will say or do - Pruitt is a loose cannon.

I'm not overly concerned yet. I thought he handled it reasonably well, his strong suit is obviously not speaking to the media.

8 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

There's positives to be found in a 40-14 loss? I think I was giving them too much credit this year. I didn't expect them to win but I at least expected it to be competitive but it really wasn't, at least not in the 2nd half.

There are. Guarantano looked 1000X better than he did last year. He was actually making reads and throwing good balls rather than holding on to the ball and taking sacks. The receivers looked good, although I don't think they got enough chances. Tim Jordan looks like a good SEC back. There were more coaching adjustments made on offense in this game than the past 5 years combined. UT's roster is not in a good spot and any chance at success this year is going to rely on staying close to 100% healthy and not losing the team after getting through the Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, USCe stretch. 

6 minutes ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

I'm not overly concerned yet. I thought he handled it reasonably well, his strong suit is obviously not speaking to the media.

There are. Guarantano looked 1000X better than he did last year. He was actually making reads and throwing good balls rather than holding on to the ball and taking sacks. The receivers looked good, although I don't think they got enough chances. Tim Jordan looks like a good SEC back. There were more coaching adjustments made on offense in this game than the past 5 years combined. UT's roster is not in a good spot and any chance at success this year is going to rely on staying close to 100% healthy and not losing the team after getting through the Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, USCe stretch. 

Yeah, after I posted this before I watched the whole 12 minutes of post game PC - I was wrong he did fine and sounded upbeat.

Volnation? Not so much!

Just now, g-dawg said:

Yeah, after I posted this  I watched the whole 12 minutes of post game PC - I was wrong he did fine and sounded upbeat.

Volnation? Not so much!

Haha Volnation is pretty much a train wreck after the past 10 years. No one should have expected to win this game, I saw some predictions of us blowing them out.

g-dawg likes this

4 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

They're definitely got their work cut out for them. I was surprised they kept it so close in the 1st half only to turn around and get run out the building in the 2nd half. Now I don't know how much of that had to do with the long delay, but honestly, you can't use that as an excuse since the other team dealt with the same thing. While there are probably positives to be taken away from the 1st half, that 2nd half, well that tape should just be burned. No positives there.

Kickoff vs Florida will be at 7:00 or 7:30, which is good for me because I work until 4:00 every Saturday. I put some thought unto going, because I thought it'd be awesome to see a victory over Florida in person, but I also thought about how miserable it'd be to be there if they lost, plus tickets are higher than what I want to pay.

As far as ETSU game goes, I really don't put much stock into a victory against a team like that. I'm just glad they won by 56, ETSU got their big payday from the beatdown, so hopefully they can get their program going in a positive way with former Vols QB, turned assistant coach Randy Sanders at the helm.

Volunteer Falcon likes this

Uh... Fulmer is already starting his transition lol

The most interesting and notable note from Tuesday was Phillip Fulmer’s presence on the field. The former Hall of Fame coach has been at every practice this fall, but today, Fulmer wasn’t in khakis and a jacket but full sweats with a practice outline in his hand. He watched the QBs, WRs and TEs, but mostly observed the offensive line, offering tips to Trey Smith, K’Rojhn Calbert, Drew Richmond and Riley Locklear, among others.”

Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer was out at practice on Tuesday like he usually is, and naturally he was hovering around where the offensive line and tight ends were going through drills. He was even chumming it up with a couple of the players at one point as he intently watched the offensive line at work. Fulmer clearly remains a coach and an offensive lineman at heart even now that he's in his administrative seat atop Tennessee's athletic department.”

http://www.volnation.com/forum/threads/tuesday-practice-thread-utep-week.295485/

Yo_Lover and SacFalcFan like this

“After a period of evaluation, it has been determined that only a true VFL can return this great program to its proper place in college football. I have accepted the head coaching position, effective immediately. Jeremy Pruitt will serve as the defensive coordinator and assistant head coach.”

A statement sitting in Fulmer’s desk, probably.

I didn't get to see any of today's win over UTEP on account of work, but it sounds like the defense played pretty well. The offense: not so much. Too many turnovers, penalties, etc. The offensive line apparently didn't play great, either.

Tennessee will need a great performance overall to win on Saturday vs Florida, especially since it's the most winnable of the next five: vs Florida, at Georgia, at Auburn, vs Alabama, at South Carolina....

On 9/18/2018 at 8:42 PM, SacFalcFan said:

what do you vol fans think about your schedule next year?  

I think it sets up nicely. Again we will be playing a lot of freshmen so I'm not sure what the record will look like, but overall it's a manageable schedule. 

I haven't gone on volnation.com yet, but I'm sure it's quite interesting. I'd like to think that the team will get better as the season goes along but who knows. That said, is it possible to look much worse than last night? 6 turnovers is ridiculous.

22 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Bring on basketball!

About 6 weeks or so til the regular season starts, I think. I may go to a game or two this season. I went to several last season. I'll be busier this year, plus I don't like so many 9:00 tip offs, since I have to be up for work at 5:15. I don't this the basketVols will embarrass us anytime soon.

14 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

About 6 weeks or so til the regular season starts, I think. I may go to a game or two this season. I went to several last season. I'll be busier this year, plus I don't like so many 9:00 tip offs, since I have to be up for work at 5:15. I don't this the basketVols will embarrass us anytime soon.

They should be really solid this year, I've seen some pre season polls with them in the top 5. I actually don't think there are a lot of 9:00 tips this year, maybe 2?

eddiesauto likes this

12 minutes ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

They should be really solid this year, I've seen some pre season polls with them in the top 5. I actually don't think there are a lot of 9:00 tips this year, maybe 2?

You know it’s bad in VolNation when we aren’t out of September yet but the focus already moved to basketball!

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

You know it’s bad in VolNation when we aren’t out of September yet but the focus already moved to basketball!

It is what it is, the program is a train wreck and until the talent is flipped will remain that way. 

Edited by Volunteer Falcon
g-dawg likes this

There are some UT fans with some insane expectations from the program. The problems that exist weren't created in a day and they won't be resolved in a day. Better be prepared for a 3-4 year overhaul.

eddiesauto likes this

1 hour ago, Ransack said:

There are some UT fans with some insane expectations from the program. The problems that exist weren't created in a day and they won't be resolved in a day. Better be prepared for a 3-4 year overhaul.

I think 3 year overhaul if we're lucky. Pruitt inherited a dumpster fire, as did Butch Jones, but hopefully Pruitt is actually cut out for the job. I was hoping for 6-6 this season, but expected 5-7. Now, 3-9 seems more likely than 5-7, in my opinion.