Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,718 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Carter said:

So I was just scrolling through Twitter...

giphy.gif

the best part of this was tennessee fans saying they will boycott walmart.. right.. LOLOL  that was a such a great burn..  one reason i love twitter, so many things like that happen and you just keep laughing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LawDawg said:

I find it amazing that UT is having a hard time recruiting its own state this year. At least according to 247, it looks like UT will only land 1 out of the top 10 in Tennessee this year (only 2 or 3 from the top 20).

 

 

They’ve missed on a couple people but overall the in state talent still isn’t there. Mix that in with the fact we’ve been a dumpster fire outside of one year I’m not surprised at all. With that said we are on the way to a really good class.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 6:59 AM, 95Dawg said:

I'm not too overly concerned about this just yet. They're both still relatively new at their job, so I think some growing pains are to be expected. That said, I also think Tennessee is in better hands than with John Currie/Butch Jones as the AD/Head Coach combination. This year will be a rough year. If Tennessee somehow went 7-5, I'd consider it a great season. I'm thinking more along the lines of 5-7 or 4-8 again though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

I'm not too overly concerned about this just yet. They're both still relatively new at their job, so I think some growing pains are to be expected. That said, I also think Tennessee is in better hands than with John Currie/Butch Jones as the AD/Head Coach combination. This year will be a rough year. If Tennessee somehow went 7-5, I'd consider it a great season. I'm thinking more along the lines of 5-7 or 4-8 again though.

I hate to say this when we have some very cool Vols fans on here and we all get along pretty well, cuz I don’t want to come across as trolling or just crapping on the program. I really think Pruitt/Fulmer is a ticking time bomb. Pruitt can probably build the talent back up a bit if he has a little success, he can take that and turn it into a selling point... but his personality turns toxic when things aren’t going well or going his way. It’s only a matter of time before he loses his cool. I honestly don’t think he is capable of being a head coach, especially of rebuilding a program that has the history, expectations and particular politics of UT.

I mean maybe the intentions are pure for Fulmer. Maybe he really believed Pruitt was a hot up and coming coach that he can help mold the Tennessee program with. Maybe. Pruitt has a track record of pissing everyone off at every stop other than a Saban micromanaged Alabama. Fulmer is not Saban and I think Fulmer would sooner cut Pruitt loose than let him make Fulmer look bad. And Phil has a track record of scheming and backstabbing, so it won’t surprise me if Pruitt is gone before long. 

Heck it wouldn’t even surprise me if Fulmer played the situation in such a way that he tries to get favor with taking over the coaching job himself.

eddiesauto likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Some UT peeps claiming he wasn't going to qualify, or at least was unlikely to do so and so they planned around it? Not sure how accurate though. Sounds like NC/Ole Miss are reaching out.

There were a few things there with Lawless, people have thought for a while he wouldn't make it to Tennessee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2018 at 3:38 AM, Carter said:

I hate to say this when we have some very cool Vols fans on here and we all get along pretty well, cuz I don’t want to come across as trolling or just crapping on the program. I really think Pruitt/Fulmer is a ticking time bomb. Pruitt can probably build the talent back up a bit if he has a little success, he can take that and turn it into a selling point... but his personality turns toxic when things aren’t going well or going his way. It’s only a matter of time before he loses his cool. I honestly don’t think he is capable of being a head coach, especially of rebuilding a program that has the history, expectations and particular politics of UT.

I mean maybe the intentions are pure for Fulmer. Maybe he really believed Pruitt was a hot up and coming coach that he can help mold the Tennessee program with. Maybe. Pruitt has a track record of pissing everyone off at every stop other than a Saban micromanaged Alabama. Fulmer is not Saban and I think Fulmer would sooner cut Pruitt loose than let him make Fulmer look bad. And Phil has a track record of scheming and backstabbing, so it won’t surprise me if Pruitt is gone before long. 

Heck it wouldn’t even surprise me if Fulmer played the situation in such a way that he tries to get favor with taking over the coaching job himself.

Oh, I understand what you mean. I'm definitely going to give Pruitt a fair chance, seeing as how I gave Kiffin, Dooley & Jones all a chance here. Hopefully he has better results than his predecessors. UT is a strange place, even I'll admit that. I try to be one of the better, more reasonable fans. Which is one of the reasons I've never posted on VolNation.com, haha.

I don't think Fulmer wants his old job back, but he might be more patient with Pruitt than he would with a coach that he inherited. But yes, he's known for back stabbing big time. I always liked Fulmer, but he's all about himself. I hope he's patient with Pruitt, unless we're going like 2-10 or something awful like that.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddiesauto said:

Oh, I understand what you mean. I'm definitely going to give Pruitt a fair chance, seeing as how I gave Kiffin, Dooley & Jones all a chance here. Hopefully he has better results than his predecessors. UT is a strange place, even I'll admit that. I try to be one of the better, more reasonable fans. Which is one of the reasons I've never posted on VolNation.com, haha.

I don't think Fulmer wants his old job back, but he might be more patient with Pruitt than he would with a coach that he inherited. But yes, he's known for back stabbing big time. I always liked Fulmer, but he's all about himself. I hope he's patient with Pruitt, unless we're going like 2-10 or something awful like that.

Well he deserves a chance to succeed, I will certainly grant that. I’m not suggesting y’all should trash the guy already lol that’s my job as a rival fan. Those are sincere thoughts about Pruitt at UT though. I would be more than willing to admit it if I thought Fulmer nailed it with a great hire. 

Man I am just happy it was Nebraska’s time and not Tennessee or Florida with Scott Frost. Don’t think he was going anywhere other than Nebraska, but who knows if that job was not available.

Joe Moorhead, Miss State’s new head coach, would be a great follow up after Pruitt imo. I think he’s going to do very well. MSU has a ceiling but I think he will do better than Mullen did. Mullen had some real inconsistency there.

eddiesauto likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carter said:

Well he deserves a chance to succeed, I will certainly grant that. I’m not suggesting y’all should trash the guy already lol that’s my job as a rival fan. Those are sincere thoughts about Pruitt at UT though. I would be more than willing to admit it if I thought Fulmer nailed it with a great hire. 

Man I am just happy it was Nebraska’s time and not Tennessee or Florida with Scott Frost. Don’t think he was going anywhere other than Nebraska, but who knows if that job was not available.

Joe Moorhead, Miss State’s new head coach, would be a great follow up after Pruitt imo. I think he’s going to do very well. MSU has a ceiling but I think he will do better than Mullen did. Mullen had some real inconsistency there.

For what it's worth, the coaching search last year was a huge embarrassment. I'm not hugely excited about Pruitt, but I'll at least give him a shot. Better than Dave Doeren of NC State or some of the guys Currie was interviewing. Apparently Jeff Brohm of Purdue wasn't hired because the then Chancellor, Beverly Davenport, was too cheap to pay his buyout with the Boilermakers. He wasn't setting the world on fire at Purdue, but he improved their program quite a bit in a short time.

I agree on Scott Frost. I hope he does well at Nebraska. I remember he ran all over UT in the Orange Bowl to end the 1997 season/Peyton Manning's college career.

I'll definitely keep an eye on Moorhead. Agreed, Mullen could be quite inconsistent. Let's hope he's consistently mediocre at Florida! I think they're a 10 win team tops with Mullen in Gainesville. But they'll have some 7 or 8 win seasons scattered in there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2018 at 2:37 PM, SacFalcFan said:

the best part of this was tennessee fans saying they will boycott walmart.. right.. LOLOL  that was a such a great burn..  one reason i love twitter, so many things like that happen and you just keep laughing. 

I'll give Walmart credit on that one, it was pretty good. Plus it helped get Butch Jones out of here, so it may not end up being that bad in the long run. Admittedly I avoid Walmart because it's always very busy with very few registers open, I'll shop there when I need to, regardless of whether they troll UT sports or not.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

I'll give Walmart credit on that one, it was pretty good. Plus it helped get Butch Jones out of here, so it may not end up being that bad in the long run. Admittedly I avoid Walmart because it's always very busy with very few registers open, I'll shop there when I need to, regardless of whether they troll UT sports or not.

Self checkout for the win!! Best thing ever!!

eddiesauto, richham and SacFalcFan like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

savion williams commits to the vols..  

Happy with that pick up, we need all the help along the fronts we can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be a long year, which is what I expected, but hopefully there's significant improvement every week. West Virginia is just a better team. I thought they could/should have taken a knee at the end, but they threw for another touchdown instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddiesauto said:

It's going to be a long year, which is what I expected, but hopefully there's significant improvement every week. West Virginia is just a better team. I thought they could/should have taken a knee at the end, but they threw for another touchdown instead

I wasn't to shocked by the outcome, our biggest weaknesses (which there are plenty) were their biggest strengths. There were some positives to take away so hopefully like you said they'll improve week by week.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon
eddiesauto likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

I wasn't to shocked by the outcome, our biggest weaknesses (which there are plenty) were their biggest strengths. There were some positives to take away so hopefully like you said they'll improve week by week.

There's positives to be found in a 40-14 loss? I think I was giving them too much credit this year. I didn't expect them to win but I at least expected it to be competitive but it really wasn't, at least not in the 2nd half.

SacFalcFan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

I wasn't to shocked by the outcome, our biggest weaknesses (which there are plenty) were their biggest strengths. There were some positives to take away so hopefully like you said they'll improve week by week.

After watching some highlights of Jeremy Pruitt’s post-game press conference, if I was a VOLS fan I would be concerned - just don’t think he has temperament to be a Head Coach - throw in a losing season and who knows what he will say or do - Pruitt is a loose cannon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now