Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,731 posts in this topic

I wasn't feeling great, so we didn't go today, but I fell in love with this team back when we ran Mercer out of the gym. It was clearly a team rather than a collection of individual talent. I've still been waiting for the other shoe to drop all year. Instead, we got better.

Also, Admiral Schofield should try out as an NFL TE if he doesn't get NBA/international attention. He has the perfect skill set for the position.

47 minutes ago, jidady said:

I wasn't feeling great, so we didn't go today, but I fell in love with this team back when we ran Mercer out of the gym. It was clearly a team rather than a collection of individual talent. I've still been waiting for the other shoe to drop all year. Instead, we got better.

Also, Admiral Schofield should try out as an NFL TE if he doesn't get NBA/international attention. He has the perfect skill set for the position.

Their record against UGA has been abysmal, can’t believe they pulled it out. This team is so easy to like, no me me me guys, just a solid team that is going to give it their all every night. And I agree on Schofield, the guy is an animal and would kill it in Football. 

1 hour ago, jidady said:

The way he is playing now, I don't think he's going to have to play football. I cant't remember many players who have progressed farther than Schofield through pure hard work.

On 3/2/2018 at 7:31 AM, Unkn0wn said:

Stanford QB Keller Chryst will transfer to Tennessee. Chryst is a graduate transfer so he'll be eligible immediately.

I don't know anything about him, but extra depth never hurt anything. Especially since J.G. 2 holds onto the ball too long then gets sacked all the time.

Glad to be SEC (co) Champions. I went to the game at Thompson Boling last night. We may have been lucky to have gotten out of there with a win, but I'll take it.

The basketball team lost fewer games (7) in 30 contests than the football team (8) did in 12 contests last season.

Rick Barnes was named SEC coach of the year, Grant Williams player of the year by the SEC and Lamonte Turner 6rh man of the year.

I believe Yante Maten was named player of the year by the AP.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/mens-basketball/2018/03/06/tennessee-vols-basketball-rick-barnes-sec-coach-grant-williams-player-year-admiral-schofield/394055002/

Volunteer Falcon likes this

I'm proud of Barnes and company for their various awards. Now lets just keep the momentum rolling in the tournaments. 

25 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

Rematch with Mississippi State tonight at 7:00. I don't expect another blowout like in Starkville. 

I'm hoping Mississippi State got their hot shooting out of their system against LSU.

eddiesauto likes this

Rick Barnes' Vols came up short against an improving Kentuckg in the SEC finals, but start play this week in the tournament that matters most as a 3 -seed in the South region. They play in Dallas at 12:40pm Thursday in Dallas against Wright State, the champions of the Horizon League, and it will be televised on TruTV. If the Vols win, they will play the winner of the game between the Miami Hurricanes and Loyola-Chicago. If the Vols win the second game they will play the next Thursday in Atlanta.

9 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Rick Barnes' Vols came up short against an improving Kentuckg in the SEC finals, but start play this week in the tournament that matters most as a 3 -seed in the South region. They play in Dallas at 12:40pm Thursday in Dallas against Wright State, the champions of the Horizon League, and it will be televised on TruTV. If the Vols win, they will play the winner of the game between the Miami Hurricanes and Loyola-Chicago. If the Vols win the second game they will play the next Thursday in Atlanta.

It was a good game. Kentucky shot out of their minds in the first half and still only managed to win by 5. I hope somehow we can get them in the elite 8.

Doctor Kildare likes this

The Vols got the first one out of the way against an awkward playing Wright State. It gets harder from now on. Hope Alexander is feeling better by Saturday.

On 3/17/2018 at 10:22 PM, Volunteer Falcon said:

Not having Alexander tonight was huge. This one will sting for awhile. 

I think that Alexander being out was the difference. Fulkerson is a huge drop off, talent wise. I'm proud that they didn't quit, but you're absolutely right about this one going to sting for awhile. I probably won't watch anymore of the tournament on account of it.

Hats off to Loyola, but we had our chances to win.

From what I've heard, Spring Practice has been much different than in the Butch Jones tenure. No more music played at practice. I'm guessing that means less music at Neyland, as well.

I forgot if we've discussed this or not, but no more Gray uniforms, which is fine by me. It'll be nice to wear orange all the time in Knoxville again. Pruitt seems like more of a traditionalist than a gimmicky kinda coach like Jones was. 

2 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

From what I've heard, Spring Practice has been much different than in the Butch Jones tenure. No more music played at practice. I'm guessing that means less music at Neyland, as well.

I forgot if we've discussed this or not, but no more Gray uniforms, which is fine by me. It'll be nice to wear orange all the time in Knoxville again. Pruitt seems like more of a traditionalist than a gimmicky kinda coach like Jones was. 

It's from the Saban playbook. Cut out the noise and focus on the job.

eddiesauto likes this

4 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

Going to miss the gray's a little. After all the Butch Jones rah rah stuff I'm glad to be back to just football.

eddiesauto likes this

2 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Going to miss the gray's a little. After all the Butch Jones rah rah stuff I'm glad to be back to just football.

It'll be different seeing UT wear orange vs UGA again in 2019 after 3 times wearing gray against them. I wouldn't mind seeing the orange pants on a rare occasion, especially on the road sometimes. Agreed, glad to be back to football without the rah rah, cliche's, thin skinned behavior of Butch Jones. This might be a rough year, but we'll hopefully get back in the SEC East race again.

Are you going to the Spring game in a week and a half? I won't be able to on account of a flight to Denver, Colorado to sight-see for a week.

4 hours ago, Ransack said:

It's from the Saban playbook. Cut out the noise and focus on the job.

"Just win baby!" - Al Davis (despite losing so much credibility towards the last 7 or 8 years of his ownership on account of bad personnel decisions & coaching hires. One of the last things Davis was right about was when he tried to warn UT that Lane Kiffin was a snake in 2008.)

Focusing on the job at hand is what UT needs right now after the failed Butch Jones experiment with all those stupid cliches', sayings, etc.

23 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

It'll be different seeing UT wear orange vs UGA again in 2019 after 3 times wearing gray against them. I wouldn't mind seeing the orange pants on a rare occasion, especially on the road sometimes. Agreed, glad to be back to football without the rah rah, cliche's, thin skinned behavior of Butch Jones. This might be a rough year, but we'll hopefully get back in the SEC East race again.

Are you going to the Spring game in a week and a half? I won't be able to on account of a flight to Denver, Colorado to sight-see for a week.

I'm thinking about making the drive up. Going to wait and see what the weather looks like before deciding.

eddiesauto likes this

On 4/11/2018 at 3:17 PM, Volunteer Falcon said:

I'm thinking about making the drive up. Going to wait and see what the weather looks like before deciding.

Understandable. I'd go, if not for the Denver trip. I'm debating on going to Charlotte for West Virginia, as well as the game at Auburn.