Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,742 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Rick Barnes' Vols beat Kentucky tonight. Maybe the long basketball nightmare is over. A basketball fanbase that is regularly in the top 20 in the nation for attendance deserves better than what the powers that be at UT have often delivered over the years.

This is great! I don't follow recruiting closely, so I came on here to bring up how proud I am of Coach Rick Barnes & the Team. First win in Lexington since 2005-2006 season. First sweep of the Wildcats since 1998-1999 season. Most of the talking heads have UT projected as a #3 seed in the NCAA Tournament. I'd really like to get another shot at Auburn in the SEC Tournament. 

21 minutes ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

This signing day would be crushing me if we hadn't swept Kentucky last night. 

Signing day is the only thing masking an overwhelming sense of apathy for UGA hoops for me :lol: 

eddiesauto and 95Dawg like this

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, SacFalcFan said:

i would be nervous for any kid that has blown up like he has.  you guys are in a great spot right now, but you know how that can change.  i am sure though you guys are up for the fight for his services.  

since we are quoting ourselves fib.  :)  flips to fsu.. sorry vol fans.  

any news on jj? 

1 hour ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

This signing day would be crushing me if we hadn't swept Kentucky last night. 

Hopefully the recruits that come here can help us go at least 6-6 so we can go to a Bowl Game this year, then further improvements in following seasons. I look at a Bowl as that much extra practice with coaching opportunity for development. I'm not expecting much this season after the disaster than was the 2017 team. 

Volunteer Falcon likes this

16 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

since we are quoting ourselves fib.  :)  flips to fsu.. sorry vol fans.  

any news on jj? 

JJ stuck with the Vols.

Just now, Volunteer Falcon said:

JJ stuck with the Vols.

very good for you guys.. bama tried very hard to flip him. 

14 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

Hopefully the recruits that come here can help us go at least 6-6 so we can go to a Bowl Game this year, then further improvements in following seasons. I look at a Bowl as that much extra practice with coaching opportunity for development. I'm not expecting much this season after the disaster than was the 2017 team. 

if you guys can finish top 25 that's not a horrible start for the vols.  the key will be how good is the first class in 2019.. that will tell you a lot.  

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

if you guys can finish top 25 that's not a horrible start for the vols.  the key will be how good is the first class in 2019.. that will tell you a lot.  

I can't help but think that Pruitt will get better recruits than Jones or Dooley, as well as develop the talent better than either of them did. I have no basis for this yet, but I'm hopeful for better overall coaching. 

Dooley didn't even recruit Von Bell & sent a Grad Asst. to recruit Jalen Ramsey, both of whom are very successful NFL DB's now. 

11 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

very good for you guys.. bama tried very hard to flip him. 

dawgs are better off w/ JJ going to VOLS than Bama.   That won't hurt us.

10 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Yeah, UT really was not set up to have a good class.   CJP did a great job just getting kids to come and listen to the pitch.  He was what - 1 week on the job and coaching another team when the early signing day hit?   all that coming off the dysfunction and bungled coaching search.

The problem is because Pruitt was so successful getting recruits to come listen, the UT fans got their hopes up too quickly.   I am sure Pruitt will bring in a top 10-15 class next year.

This isn't a terrible class, it's not going to win you the conference but it's hard to hope for much more with the situation he walked into and the time given to flip big time players. I think the early signing period made today look a lot worse than it was. Just have to get back to winning and these things will take care of themselves.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon
eddiesauto likes this

1 hour ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

This isn't a terrible class, it's not going to win you the conference but it's hard to hope for much more with the situation he walked into and the time given to flip big time players. I think the early signing period made today look a lot worse than it was. Just have to get back to winning and these things will take care of themselves.

Early signing period *absolutely* impacted teams who were forced to make coaching changes... it's hard enough to build relationships in 6 weeks or so before this one... let alone 1-2 weeks in December. 80% of the elite talent locked up before the UT staff was fully functional... would not anticipate this to be the norm. 

Volunteer Falcon likes this

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

Gillespie is out..  He is a heck of coach and recruiter.  He won't be unemployed for long. 

Wish they had held onto him, easily the best coach from the last staff. 

8 minutes ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Wish they had held onto him, easily the best coach from the last staff. 

agreed.. he is a great combo coach IMO.. really good position coach and a great recruiter.  should be interesting to see who you guys hire. 

Seems kinda strange for CJP to assemble his staff, retain that coach from the prior regime, then for them to part ways so soon. I'm assuming there's more to this than meets the eye. 

Well that didn’t take long... Chris Wienke has been hired as the RB coach. I’m not sure him coaching RBs is what I’d hire him to do 

9 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

Well that didn’t take long... Chris Wienke has been hired as the RB coach. I’m not sure him coaching RBs is what I’d hire him to do 

They are hoping weinke can help with recruiting img.  The problem is bama was hoping for that as well and weinke did zero for them down there.  Hiring him to coach rbs is quite weird.  He is a big step down from gillespie in coach and recruiting. 

9 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

On the other hand, the Falcons had an offensive line coach coaching running backs last year.

1 hour ago, Doctor Kildare said:

On the other hand, the Falcons had an offensive line coach coaching running backs last year.

Right? It's like coaches just coach one position their entire life. 

On 2/14/2018 at 10:26 AM, SacFalcFan said:

Gillespie is out..  He is a heck of coach and recruiter.  He won't be unemployed for long. 

I hate that. I really liked him. I'm sure he'll land on his feet at a good program. I'm not all that excited about Chris Weinke.

Huge win for Tennessee last night at Mississippi State. If they can beat UGA Saturday (which I would have to see to believe) they will at least claim a co SEC Championship this year depending on what Auburn does. Just crazy for a team that was picked to finish 13th in the SEC this year. Barnes for coach of the year! 

Edited by Volunteer Falcon
fibonaccisquared likes this