Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,733 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, DawgBone said:

Trust me, I despise UT as much as the next dawg - I just don’t see how anyone can say it’s a foregone conclusion that the staff Pruitt has assembled won’t work.  Sure,Volnation is populated by idiots, but doesn’t that go without saying? There’s a lot of talent and experience on that staff now. They certainly didn’t downgrade. The biggest question mark in my mind is the head coach.

Dude you are missing the point big time...

On 12/29/2017 at 3:12 PM, Volunteer Falcon said:

John Kelly has decided to turn pro, best of luck to him.

Fight the good fight Dawgbone! 

Gaulden left too. Best of luck to them both, although I doubt either will get drafted before the 5th round. 

Volunteer Falcon likes this

8 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Khalil McKenzie has for some reason declared for the NFL draft, best of luck to him..

I was pretty surprised by that, as well as Gaulden's decision to leave.

On 1/4/2018 at 4:07 PM, 95Dawg said:

I hate that he feels that way, but I don't blame him. His talents were obviously not properly utilized at UT. I just wish he was playing so well for someone other than the Saints.

joefalco and Volunteer Falcon like this

15 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

I was pretty surprised by that, as well as Gaulden's decision to leave.

I thought there was a pretty good chance Gaulden would be gone. Out of those three I think he has the best chance of getting drafted in a higher round. He's pretty much the prototype for nickelbacks in the league. 

eddiesauto likes this

On 1/9/2018 at 8:28 AM, Volunteer Falcon said:

I thought there was a pretty good chance Gaulden would be gone. Out of those three I think he has the best chance of getting drafted in a higher round. He's pretty much the prototype for nickelbacks in the league. 

I wish all of them the best, although I wish they would've stayed. I'm sure you do too. I'm glad the Butch Jones experiment is over finally. Not everything about his tenure was bad, but it's refreshing to not hear goofy cliche's and things in press conferences anymore. Hopefully Pruitt can at least get us to a Bowl game next year, even if it's at 6-6. I'm planning on making the trip to Auburn in October, even though we'll likely get beat.

9 hours ago, Carter said:

Tennessee vs Auburn.... too much orange for me lol

With the orange thought in mind, I doubt you'll watch the Tennessee vs Florida game either lol. I'd say it's extremely unlikely that you watched the UT vs Miami home & home in 2002/2003.

I don't know what your opinion on Miami now though is since Mark Richt is their Head Coach now. Personally, I want him to be very successful down there because he seems like a such a good person. I would think that most UGA fans wish him the best, as well.

2 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

With the orange thought in mind, I doubt you'll watch the Tennessee vs Florida game either lol. I'd say it's extremely unlikely that you watched the UT vs Miami home & home in 2002/2003.

I don't know what your opinion on Miami now though is since Mark Richt is their Head Coach now. Personally, I want him to be very successful down there because he seems like a such a good person. I would think that most UGA fans wish him the best, as well.

I try to watch as many games as I can. Saturdays in fall are set aside for football in this household. :lol: 

Tennessee/Florida is almost always a wild game. My eyes may be bleeding but my brain is telling me it’s fun so I keep watching. :D For seriouses though I try to watch other SEC teams play when I can and I’ll almost always tune in to the rivalry games.

I really hope Richt does well at Miami. I have a ton of respect for him. I’m not like some UGA fans who have almost taken up Miami as a second team, some of my family included lol, but I do wish the best for him.

Ovie_Lover and eddiesauto like this

On 1/13/2018 at 2:12 PM, Carter said:

I try to watch as many games as I can. Saturdays in fall are set aside for football in this household. :lol: 

Tennessee/Florida is almost always a wild game. My eyes may be bleeding but my brain is telling me it’s fun so I keep watching. :D For seriouses though I try to watch other SEC teams play when I can and I’ll almost always tune in to the rivalry games.

I really hope Richt does well at Miami. I have a ton of respect for him. I’m not like some UGA fans who have almost taken up Miami as a second team, some of my family included lol, but I do wish the best for him.

I used to watch much more football on the weekends than I do now, but I try to always see the Vols, Falcons and/or Titans whenever possible.

You're absolutely right about UT/Florida nearly always being a wild game, although my team is usually on the short end of the stick. Who knows, it might change with Pruitt at the helm.

I hope Richt does well, also. Guys like him represent what's right in sports.

If I had to make a top 5 of teams  I follow, I'd say that there's only 2 that I actually like (UT & Army), but I wish well for Syracuse, Virginia Tech & Miami. I root for Tennessee cause I'm from Knoxville, the Army cause I'm an Army Veteran; Syracuse & Virginia Tech, because I enjoyed following them when I was stationed in New York & Virginia, respectively. Miami just because I want Mark Richt to win the big one.

One somewhat odd note about Syracuse is that even though they play in the Carrier Dome, there is no heating or air in the Dome. So early season games were uncomfortably warm, while late season games were pretty cold.

Carter likes this

On 1/14/2018 at 6:36 PM, eddiesauto said:

One somewhat odd note about Syracuse is that even though they play in the Carrier Dome, there is no heating or air in the Dome. So early season games were uncomfortably warm, while late season games were pretty cold.

That is very odd considering that the building’s sponsor was the company of the inventor of air conditioning.

eddiesauto likes this

Interesting WR recruit looks to be likely to commit to UT tomorrow:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Young-46051365

Went from unranked by any recruiting site to a 4* ranked 190th prospect overall on 247 Final Rankings. Was a track star and then someone decided to throw him a football 

Played only 1 year of high school ball, 

1,562 receiving yards 
23.7 yards per catch 
66 catches 
17 receiving TD’s 
18 Total TD’s 
130 receiving yards per game 

6A Georgia 

Won state championship 100 and 300 Hurdles. 

Curious who on the UT staff spotted him, as his prior offers were all to small schools (Coastal Carolina, Valdosta, West Virginia State...) Looks like Tracy Rocker went to visit him earlier this week.

Also... interesting that he had attention from USC but no offer. 

23 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Interesting WR recruit looks to be likely to commit to UT tomorrow:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Young-46051365

Curious who on the UT staff spotted him, as his prior offers were all to small schools (Coastal Carolina, Valdosta, West Virginia State...) Looks like Tracy Rocker went to visit him earlier this week.

Also... interesting that he had attention from USC but no offer. 

As expected he committed to Tennessee today. I think he has a lot of potential, senior film looks really good.

4 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

As expected he committed to Tennessee today. I think he has a lot of potential, senior film looks really good.

he was a zero star and i believe is now a 4 star.. he really blew up his senior season.. great pickup.  now you guys got to keep ahold of him. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

he was a zero star and i believe is now a 4 star.. he really blew up his senior season.. great pickup.  now you guys got to keep ahold of him. 

Makes me a little nervous he jumped on his first Power 5 offer, could be tough to get him to Knoxville.

3 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Yeah, this was from a piece on him:

A week ago, Jordan Young went into his official visit to Tennessee as a mostly unknown, under-the-radar prospect who only had received scholarship offers from Coastal Carolina and a pair of Division II schools. 
When the four-star senior wide receiver from Heritage High School in Conyers, Ga., announced Friday afternoon that he has committed to Tennessee, he became one of the most important additions to the Vols’ 2018 recruiting class, 247Sports director of scouting Barton Simmons said. 
Simmons said the 6-foot-2, 185-pound Young could be “a game-changing type of pickup” for new Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt’s staff. 
“I mean, this is one of the most eye-popping late finds that I can remember,” Simmons said of Young, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 190 overall prospect and No. 27 wide receiver in the 2018 class. “I think, based on film and based on profile and just what we know on the surface of this kid, he could be one of the best receivers in this class.” 
Young received his initial rating from 247Sports on Thursday and made his debut in the final update to the Top247 for the 2018 class. 
Simmons said Young’s highlights, combined with his history as a state champion in the 110-meter hurdles in Georgia’s Class AAAAAA, quickly caught the attention of 247Sports’ analysts. 
“We put him in the Top247 based on that profile, that highlight film,” Simmons said. “And I think, if we had more time to get confident with this kid, that there’s no reason he doesn’t have top-100 or five-star ceiling. That’s how good his film and his profile — being a track state champion and a productive kid on the high-school level — that’s the kind of upside I think he’s got. 
“So, to me, I think this is a game-changing type of pickup.” 

It’s “a total head-scratcher,” Simmons said, that Young somehow remained relatively unknown until Tennessee hosted him on an official visit last weekend and gave him his first major-conference scholarship offer on Sunday. 
Young caught 66 passes for 1,562 yards and 17 touchdowns in his breakout senior season, and he claims to have been timed at 4.43 seconds in the 40-yard dash. 
“He’s not that far off the beaten path outside of Atlanta,” Simmons said. “He’s a state champion 110-meter hurdler. He averaged 22 yards a catch and had 1,500 yards receiving. His team was pretty good. He’s an all-state guy. 
“Given all the teams that go through the state of Georgia, and the priority that the greater Atlanta area is to all these major programs, the fact that he stayed hidden is incredibly surprising. It doesn’t take but one clip on his film to understand the kid is special.” 
Simmons said Young’s “elite” ball skills stand out most on film, including “his body control, his ball-tracking ability.” 
“I think his leaping ability and the way he can finish catches with defenders around him is part of that,” Simmons said. “The fact that we can verify the athleticism is critical because now you know that’s taken care of, because what you can really, clearly tell on tape is that the ball skills are elite. 
“And that’s what makes me really excited about him because, even though he’s an athletic, big kid, he’s got the natural instincts at the position, the things you can’t teach. I think ball skills are as innate as anything at wide receiver, and he’s got that.”

I think the rating is a bit of an overreaction given only one season's body of work, but he's a quality receiver no doubt. Very good find and more surprising given proximity to the ATL area that he literally was looking at DII offers prior to the UT offer.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

1 hour ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Makes me a little nervous he jumped on his first Power 5 offer, could be tough to get him to Knoxville.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly. Kid is getting quite a few offers now but seems to be pretty intent on shutting it down and not taking other visits from what I'd read. Not too long until signing day at this point either, so I'd bet on him sticking with UT. 

19 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

i would be nervous for any kid that has blown up like he has.  you guys are in a great spot right now, but you know how that can change.  i am sure though you guys are up for the fight for his services.  

On 1/20/2018 at 0:42 AM, fibonaccisquared said:

I wouldn't worry about it honestly. Kid is getting quite a few offers now but seems to be pretty intent on shutting it down and not taking other visits from what I'd read. Not too long until signing day at this point either, so I'd bet on him sticking with UT. 

Famous last words... :lol: 

Looks like he may be signing with FSU unless something changes between now and tomorrow.

Volunteer Falcon likes this