Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,735 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2017 at 4:48 PM, Carter said:

Well I don’t think anything I say is gonna change some people’s minds about him. Pruitt is a good recruiter, but he’s not Kirby in any sense and I think a lot of people have talked themselves into believing he is. His ability to recruit is a separate matter from what makes this believable even if it isn’t true. He has a long track record of acting this way. What happened with him and Mark Richt at Richt’s home, for one example, was not a fabricated story.

What happened at riches house?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pruitt has almost finished putting his staff together and it is by far the best staff Tennessee has had in some time especially from a recruiting stand point.

 

Tyson Helton (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)

Brian Niedermeyer (Tight Ends)

Robert Gillespie (Running Backs)

Will Friend (Offensive Line)

Tracy Rocker (Defensive Line)

Chris Rumph (Outside Linebackers)

Kevin Sherrer (Inside Linebackers and Defensive Coordinator)

Terry Fair (Defensive Backs)

Charles Kelly (Special Teams)

** Bryan McClendon (Wide Receivers) - If Muschamp offers him full play calling duties he is expected to remain at USCe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

I don't see BMac making a lateral move.

Depends, he's the co-OC but Muschamp fired the playcaller Kurt Roper. If Muschamp hires another guy to call plays then he could feel disrespected and leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Depends, he's the co-OC but Muschamp fired the playcaller Kurt Roper. If Muschamp hires another guy to call plays then he could feel disrespected and leave. 

Still don't see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

That’s a pretty good staff for a new head coach.

yep it's a pretty good staff, but not as good as vol fans think it is (not referring to anyone in this thread who are the smartest of the vol fans out there).. you gotta read this threat Porter.. it's awesome.. lol  "Ace recruiter rocker".. it's like these vol fans know nothing about the coaches and their strengths/weaknesses, they just make crap up as they go along.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/288365-staff-nation.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Depends, he's the co-OC but Muschamp fired the playcaller Kurt Roper. If Muschamp hires another guy to call plays then he could feel disrespected and leave. 

that might happen, but i just have a hard time seeing bmac join pruitt unless he was the OC and he won't be with helton onboard.  he would basically jump from one dead end job to another at what is a bad program at this time (which can change, but the vol's have stunk for a decade). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't pin many hopes on Will Friend or Tracy Rocker landing you any big fish. Sherrer does fine recruiting South GA to UGA but how will that translate to recruiting South GA to UT? Not a single guy (that we wanted) wavered after he left for UT.

LawDawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ransack said:

I wouldn't pin many hopes on Will Friend or Tracy Rocker landing you any big fish. Sherrer does fine recruiting South GA to UGA but how will that translate to recruiting South GA to UT? Not a single guy (that we wanted) wavered after he left for UT.

per the volnation fans sherrer was our ace recruiter as well.. if not for him we might not be in the top 5..  lol.. it's funny reading volnation.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sherrer recruited very well while at Georgia.  Rocker recruited very well while at Georgia (I know he's not known as a great recruiter).  UGA shouldn't miss a beat, but it's not like a Tennessee program that's been in the dumps for a decade just hired a bunch of scrubs.  Come on. 

frankly88 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Ransack said:

I wouldn't pin many hopes on Will Friend or Tracy Rocker landing you any big fish. Sherrer does fine recruiting South GA to UGA but how will that translate to recruiting South GA to UT? Not a single guy (that we wanted) wavered after he left for UT.

Rocker couldn't reel in Derrick Brown. But perhaps it wasn't his fault.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a pretty good assistant staff for sure, but I’m still of the opinion that Pruitt is the issue with this staff. I’ve never seen him make adjustments when his original plan didn’t work, he has been good at recruiting some guys rated highly by recruiting services but his evals on 3-star guys have been bad. We already know he’s an uncouth redneck. I don’t believe Jeremy Pruitt would have even been an option for me, but I understand the coaching search became exhausting. We’ll see how it goes. As far as the assistant staff goes though, that’s a very good SEC staff.

Just say no to Rush Propst. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DawgBone said:

Sherrer recruited very well while at Georgia.  Rocker recruited very well while at Georgia (I know he's not known as a great recruiter).  UGA shouldn't miss a beat, but it's not like a Tennessee program that's been in the dumps for a decade just hired a bunch of scrubs.  Come on. 

rocker didn't recruit very well at Georgia.. that was one of the big reasons he was let go.. our dline play also suffered under his coaching.  rocker just didn't do a very good job while in athens.  sherrer was a good recruiter, but he isn't at the level of our other coaches on staff.  not one guy waivered when he left.  the commentary in the thread I posted was a joke.  yes it's a pretty good staff, but the hyperbole and other comments about the greatness of it is purely ignorant of the strengths and weaknesses of the guys who have been hired.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

rocker didn't recruit very well at Georgia.. that was one of the big reasons he was let go.. our dline play also suffered under his coaching.  rocker just didn't do a very good job while in athens.  sherrer was a good recruiter, but he isn't at the level of our other coaches on staff.  not one guy waivered when he left.  the commentary in the thread I posted was a joke.  yes it's a pretty good staff, but the hyperbole and other comments about the greatness of it is purely ignorant of the strengths and weaknesses of the guys who have been hired.  

I agree it’s hyperbole compared to what’s going on in Athens right now, but contrasted with Tennessee’s previous staffs, they have cause to be excited. Rocker didn’t get us where we wanted to be, but I was VERY excited when we hired him (and many other UGA fans were too). He’s a renowned coach with an impressive track record. He was an upgrade over Rumph. So I can understand why UT would be similarly excited.

And from a recruiting perspective (and I’m probably wrong on some of these) wasn’t he on d line when we brought in Thompson, Rochester, Marshall, Carter etc.? Yes I realize those are Georgia kids and excluding Rochester probably Georgia leans, but he didn’t let them get away to Auburn or Alabama or whatever. Not a bad haul.

 

Point is both coaches were good for Georgia, and are likely massive upgrades for UT. I just don’t understand belittling those hires, especially by a program like UT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DawgBone said:

I agree it’s hyperbole compared to what’s going on in Athens right now, but contrasted with Tennessee’s previous staffs, they have cause to be excited. Rocker didn’t get us where we wanted to be, but I was VERY excited when we hired him (and many other UGA fans were too). He’s a renowned coach with an impressive track record. He was an upgrade over Rumph. So I can understand why UT would be similarly excited.

And from a recruiting perspective (and I’m probably wrong on some of these) wasn’t he on d line when we brought in Thompson, Rochester, Marshall, Carter etc.? Yes I realize those are Georgia kids and excluding Rochester probably Georgia leans, but he didn’t let them get away to Auburn or Alabama or whatever. Not a bad haul.

 

Point is both coaches were good for Georgia, and are likely massive upgrades for UT. I just don’t understand belittling those hires, especially by a program like UT.

No offense meant here, but you seem to take any criticism even legit and try to turn it into something it isn't.. prime example was your last point saying they aren't scrubs.. no where did anyone say that, but you determined to put that into a reply that wasn't at all warranted.  the criticism given on certain coaches are legitimate critique and are backed up with stuff we have been talking about those coaches well before they were hired at tennessee.. it wouldn't matter if rocker went to middle tennessee state, he is who he is.. the same with will friend.  we could sell rainbows and hershey kisses all of the time about every hire or be honest and give information on what we know about the hires.  we have already said they have a pretty good staff.  if we were only bashing to bash no one would have admitted that.  

rocker is not a good recruiter.  auburn fans joked about that when we hired him (many of us dismissed it and we shouldn't have) and we talked about him and his lack of recruiting which was a big problem.  our dline play also did not improve with him coaching them.  there is a reason a coach moves from job to job like he has, it's not because he is great at it.  sherrer is a good coach, but as mentioned the comments on him and rocker by the vol fans on volnation are beyond ridiculous which was a big point of this.. there is a difference being happy you have change and making comments that are not part of reality.  I do disagree on the comments on the previous staff.. i thought butch jones was an idiot, but there are plenty on his staff who were very good coaches.. whether the new staff is an upgrade or not is very debatable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carter said:

It’s a pretty good assistant staff for sure, but I’m still of the opinion that Pruitt is the issue with this staff. I’ve never seen him make adjustments when his original plan didn’t work, he has been good at recruiting some guys rated highly by recruiting services but his evals on 3-star guys have been bad. We already know he’s an uncouth redneck. I don’t believe Jeremy Pruitt would have even been an option for me, but I understand the coaching search became exhausting. We’ll see how it goes. As far as the assistant staff goes though, that’s a very good SEC staff.

Just say no to Rush Propst. 

i was hoping they would have hired propst.. i would have loved to see that huge ego on that coaching staff.. it would have been awesome.. lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Dawgbone why are you going out if your way to defend UT? You married to a Vol or have some connection there?

Trust me, I despise UT as much as the next dawg - I just don’t see how anyone can say it’s a foregone conclusion that the staff Pruitt has assembled won’t work.  Sure,Volnation is populated by idiots, but doesn’t that go without saying? There’s a lot of talent and experience on that staff now. They certainly didn’t downgrade. The biggest question mark in my mind is the head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now