Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,735 posts in this topic

Looks like Coach Sherrer may be the new DC at Tennessee.

“Georgia head coach Kirby Smart could have a vacancy on his staff in the near future. According to FoxSports College Football reporter Bruce Feldman, Bulldog outside linebackers coach Kevin Sherrer is expected to be the new Tennessee defensive coordinator under Jeremy Pruitt.

Sherrer is in his fourth season at Georgia after coming to Athens with Jeremy Pruittin 2014. During that time he has helped tutor first-round NFL Draft pick Leonard Floyd, third-round pick Jordan Jenkins, second-team All-SEC selection Lorenzo Carter, and fifth-year senior outside linebacker Davin Bellamy.

He's also heavily involved in the recruitment of a pair of 2018 Georgia pledges in Adam Anderson (Rome) and Azeez Ojulari (Marietta). Sherrer also spearheaded the recruitments of current freshmen outside linebackers Robert Bealand Walter Grant

Other Bulldog assistants have been targets as the coaching carousel spins in College Football. Wide receivers coach James Coley was offered the offensive coordinator job at Texas A&M under Jimbo Fisher but turned it down to stay at UGA. Defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Mel Tucker was interviewed by Tennessee for the head coaching job.

No official announcement has yet been made on Sherrer, who also worked with Pruitt while at Alabama.”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-uga-assistant-expected-to-join-pruitt-at-tennessee/

8 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

I'm pretty fired up about Pruitt. I like what I heard in the Press Conference, plus I trust Fulmer's judgement in hiring him. 

I think you should be.  There is always some risk and a learning curve for someone who has never  been a head coach.  But Tenn has found a guy with passion not just for football but for student athletes.   

What is Tennessee Getting in Jeremy Pruitt

eddiesauto likes this

39 minutes ago, Carter said:

Grantham and Friend are not very good lol

Disagree on Friend, he is a very solid Oline coach. Which Grantham are you talking about? 

2 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Disagree on Friend, he is a very solid Oline coach. Which Grantham are you talking about? 

Sorry I was confused, Grantham is at UF now. I get all these orange-wearing teams mixed up sometimes :lol: 

Maybe Friend will do better this go around.

6 hours ago, Carter said:

Sorry I was confused, Grantham is at UF now. I get all these orange-wearing teams mixed up sometimes :lol: 

Maybe Friend will do better this go around.

Haha our DC is expected to be Sherrer.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon
Carter likes this

I believe the Pruitt hire is a good hire if for no other reason than he will get talent, play defense and assemble a staff of good recruiters.

Not sure about temperament but believe he can learn the parts he is not good at.  If he can put a good defense on the field that is half the battle.

9 hours ago, MemphibianDawg said:
So happy to see this. Way to go, Tennessee guys!

****... send Pruitt and Sherrer while you're at it... I've heard Pruitt is very good at remaining calm and saying the right things while mediating hostile situations. :lol:

In all seriousness though, pretty awesome if the UT players step in here. The ****** part is that it's needed to begin with... even worse is that bullying situations rarely diminish due to outside intervention... it's usually a temporary stopgap at best.

MemphibianDawg likes this

Out of all the new hires in the SEC, it wouldn't surprise me if Pruitt ended up being one of the best. I think he's a better hire than most give him credit for.

Tennessee has gone from being a circus to getting (what I think, anyway) the right guy for the job. I haven't been concerned about any of the guys that have been talked about but this guy makes me nervous. He's a great recruiter, he's passionate and be knows what a great defense looks like. All of us UGA fans have had a pretty good chuckle over this UT coaching situation but I'm genuinely happy for the Vols. The east is just more fun when Tennessee is relevant. 

9 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

****... send Pruitt and Sherrer while you're at it... I've heard Pruitt is very good at remaining calm and saying the right things while mediating hostile situations. :lol:

In all seriousness though, pretty awesome if the UT players step in here. The ****** part is that it's needed to begin with... even worse is that bullying situations rarely diminish due to outside intervention... it's usually a temporary stopgap at best.

I hear you. Tyler Byrd tweeted again saying that they're going next Tuesday and they're going to live tweet it to try and engage more folks and raise awareness. Hopefully this might help make the bullies see the errors of their way. Or at least think twice about their actions. Also saw that one of the Titans players offered up tickets to a game to the family of the kid that was bullied. 

Edited by MemphibianDawg
fibonaccisquared and 95Dawg like this

2 hours ago, LawDawg said:

Out of all the new hires in the SEC, it wouldn't surprise me if Pruitt ended up being one of the best. I think he's a better hire than most give him credit for.

I think so too.  At least not nearly as bad as some are making it out.  

I think Pruitt is one of the worst hires.  we have thread ranking the sec hires so everyone please add to that and some reasoning for your views on it.. would be interesting to hear about that.  how a guy does as a head coach is hard to predict based on his work as a coordinator, but we know Pruitt is a hot head, like muschamp, but muschamp had a reputation as a good DC for 10 years.  Pruitt has had 3 different jobs as DC in 5 years.  he hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to build anything because as soon as people see who he is in a very short time they don't want any part of him.  there were unfavorable stories about him from his time at fsu as well as georgia when we was at those places (they didn't just pop up after he left).  as a head coach he needs to be everything he hasn't been or shown his entire time as a coach and unlike his DC stops he doesn't step into a great situation full of very talented players.  if he is still head coach in year 6 i will be surprised.  i just don't see him changing who he is.  the one positive for him we all know fulmer will give him all of the $$$$ he needs to get players based on fulmer's history when he was head coach at tennessee.  the bad thing for fulmer he doesn't have his buddy as SEC Commish who will protect him like roy kramer did.  

John Currie is in a legal battle with Tennessee. He's wanting the $5.5M he's owed per the buyout in his contract. Washington State president let that out of the bag. Currie had been mentioned as the possible AD at WSU where his former KSU boss now works. WSU president said he's not a candidate because of his legal battle with Tennessee. The coaching search still making messes in Knoxville.

17 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

John Currie is in a legal battle with Tennessee. He's wanting the $5.5M he's owed per the buyout in his contract. Washington State president let that out of the bag. Currie had been mentioned as the possible AD at WSU where his former KSU boss now works. WSU president said he's not a candidate because of his legal battle with Tennessee. The coaching search still making messes in Knoxville.

Lot of a speculation that when he was out "interviewing" Leach he was actually interviewing for the WSU AD job.