Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,735 posts in this topic

Fulmer claims that he's not going to be the Head Coach. I surely hope he hires Les Miles in the very near future. Just get some stability in there. Also, I heard on Sports Talk in Knoxville that UT is looking to fire John Currie for cause. Not sure what the cause is, but this is interesting.

1 minute ago, eddiesauto said:

Fulmer claims that he's not going to be the Head Coach. I surely hope he hires Les Miles in the very near future. Just get some stability in there. Also, I heard on Sports Talk in Knoxville that UT is looking to fire John Currie for cause. Not sure what the cause is, but this is interesting.

'Cause they don't wanna get stuck paying him for the "job" he's done?

:tiphat:

eddiesauto likes this

4 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

If they don’t fire him for cause they will owe him a lot more money. Millions more. 

3 hours ago, Carter said:

If they don’t fire him for cause they will owe him a lot more money. Millions more. 

~$5.5M more... Haven't heard any reason to speculate that termination for cause is credible. Will be interesting to see how they try to swing that. 

Looks like Pruitt is official. Pretty happy with the hire, sounds like he will put a really good staff together. Definite upgrade over what’s been in Knoxville the past years.

1 hour ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Looks like Pruitt is official. Pretty happy with the hire, sounds like he will put a really good staff together. Definite upgrade over what’s been in Knoxville the past years.

He’s definitely a different character than Butch or Dooley. A little closer to Kiffin on the personality scale. Time will tell and I could be totally wrong but I honestly expect it to be a disaster. I think he and Fulmer will butt heads. 

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

He’s definitely a different character than Butch or Dooley. A little closer to Kiffin on the personality scale. Time will tell and I could be totally wrong but I honestly expect it to be a disaster. I think he and Fulmer will butt heads. 

I see this working for a couple years but that's it. Pruitt really is an excellent coach imo but he will inevitably implode at some point and the dumpster fire in Knoxville will resume.

It's just a matter of how much collateral damage there will be following his exit.   

9 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I see this working for a couple years but that's it. Pruitt really is an excellent coach imo but he will inevitably implode at some point and the dumpster fire in Knoxville will resume.

It's just a matter of how much collateral damage there will be following his exit.   

i don't see how any vol fan should be happy with this hire.. they were turned down by double digit coaches and the best they could come up with is a volatile coach who has shown nothing when it comes to being a head coach. they could have gotten plenty of proven coaches or guys that have shown they can at least be a head coach if not for fulmer undermining the entire process.  pruitt is a great recruiter so talent won't be their issue, but he has shown he is unable to have the correct temperment to be a head coach.  there is a reason he was rarely considered a viable candidate anywhere else as a head coach.  i think it blows up in a few years..  the tennessee head coaching search was one of the most screwed up things to have ever happened at the collegiate level or even nfl level for that matter. 

59 minutes ago, Carter said:

Can’t be any worse then the last decade. At worst we get some quality recruits in for the next guy.

5 minutes ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Can’t be any worse then the last decade. At worst we get some quality recruits in for the next guy.

Should definitely see a bump in recruiting. That’s one thing Pruitt does very well. Players seem to love him. Sounds like he will try to bring in Rocker also.

I’m not sure if it’s been confirmed either way but I expect him to stay on staff through the playoffs.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

1 hour ago, RedandBlack4Life! said:

I heard there was some issue Fulmer had with Pruitt wanting to stay with Bama until the playoffs were over. I guess it's not an issue anymore?

that seemed to be the hang up, but obviously that was worked out. 

Just now, SacFalcFan said:

that seemed to be the hang up, but obviously that was worked out. 

There was a fake tweet out that indicated that. I never saw anything substantive. Wouldn't be a surprise at all, but just never saw it actually referenced by a credible outlet.

Just now, fibonaccisquared said:

There was a fake tweet out that indicated that. I never saw anything substantive. Wouldn't be a surprise at all, but just never saw it actually referenced by a credible outlet.

pat forde referenced it and his info wasn't based on a tweet.. the fake tweet said that pruitt backed out because of that.. however it was reported by forde (heard him say it himself) that was one of the issues they were working out. 

Just now, SacFalcFan said:

pat forde referenced it and his info wasn't based on a tweet.. the fake tweet said that pruitt backed out because of that.. however it was reported by forde (heard him say it himself) that was one of the issues they were working out. 

Interesting... I mean the funny thing to me is that Bama *wants* him to stick around... in 3 playoff games where a coach has remained on staff with Bama, their side of the ball was awful in two of them... Kirby's D against Clemson in the 2015 game... they won in spite of their defense. Then the round 1 game last year against Washington, Kiffin stayed on but the O looked downright bad. Kirby did have a great game against Michigan St in 2015, but that was a bad matchup from Michigan St from the jump.

Seems to me they might be better off not having him split duties and instead promoting from within in advance of the playoffs... 

Just now, fibonaccisquared said:

Interesting... I mean the funny thing to me is that Bama *wants* him to stick around... in 3 playoff games where a coach has remained on staff with Bama, their side of the ball was awful in two of them... Kirby's D against Clemson in the 2015 game... they won in spite of their defense. Then the round 1 game last year against Washington, Kiffin stayed on but the O looked downright bad. Kirby did have a great game against Michigan St in 2015, but that was a bad matchup from Michigan St from the jump.

Seems to me they might be better off not having him split duties and instead promoting from within in advance of the playoffs... 

i think it's a mistake for Pruitt to stay on at bama for tennessee and for his start.  people may disagree, but things have changed since last year and with the early december signing period having your staff in place is pretty huge.  if not for the early signing period i would have no issues with him staying, but that does change the game. 

12 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i think it's a mistake for Pruitt to stay on at bama for tennessee and for his start.  people may disagree, but things have changed since last year and with the early december signing period having your staff in place is pretty huge.  if not for the early signing period i would have no issues with him staying, but that does change the game. 

Yep.  It's too hard to juggle game planning, staff building and recruiting in such a short period of time. 

SacFalcFan likes this

Earlier today, word leaked that Will Friend — Pruitt's college roommate at Alabama — will join the staff as Tennessee's offensive line coach. Friend could retain other titles, too, after serving as Colorado State's OC/OL coach the last three seasons.

One of Pruitt's most important hires also appears done. Sources tell Volquest that Southern Cal's Tyson Helton is expected to take the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach role. Helton served as the passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Southern Cal in 2016.

Article also says they would like to keep running backs coach Robert Gillespie as well as add former Vol CB and current CSU defensive backs coach Terry Fair as a GA.

Looks like Bobo is going to be busy hiring guys to refill his staff at CSU.

Edited by MemphibianDawg