Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,735 posts in this topic

Just now, Volunteer Falcon said:

Currie needs to be fired ASAP.

I agree. I'll take literally anyone over him or Schiano, at this point. Clean house. Fire Beverly Davenport, while they're at it.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

More things to be thankful for this holiday season: Passion of my fellow UT fans, even if I don't agree with all of them about everything. Also, Social media backlash about a potentially asinine decision by a fool.

Volunteer Falcon likes this

How hard is it to mess this up

Schiano is literally one of the last choices or should be

have they not called Norvell?

les miles would be a calming pick just for a few years to get things stable 

Bdawg58 likes this

15 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

How hard is it to mess this up

Schiano is literally one of the last choices or should be

have they not called Norvell?

les miles would be a calming pick just for a few years to get things stable 

Miles is a very good pick.  David Shaw or Chris Peterson but would they leave their nest for Tennessee?

2 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Miles is a very good pick.  David Shaw or Chris Peterson but would they leave their nest for Tennessee?

Shaw maybe but not Peterson if I remember he has some connection up in WA with a child and some medical issues or something like that. 

2 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

shaw wouldn't leave stanford for the vols and there is no way peterson is leaving washington. 

24 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

shaw wouldn't leave stanford for the vols and there is no way peterson is leaving washington. 

Even if they ponyed up the cash?  I do not see that happening.  Maybe Jim Mora Jr would go there :ninja:

30 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Even if they ponyed up the cash?  I do not see that happening.  Maybe Jim Mora Jr would go there :ninja:

no.. the vol's can't pay what david shaw or what peterson would need to leave including their buyouts.. the reason why they aren't pursuing matt campbell from iowa state was due to his 9.4 million dollar buyout.. currie wanted to, but as told no. 

I'm just going to leave this here:

Did Tennessee fans have proof to paint over Greg Schiano's reputation — or only mob anger?

The real question is, did Schiano really cover up child rape at Penn State?

The answer: Only Schiano and maybe Sandusky know for sure, but that allegation has most certainly not been proven, no matter what the clickbait headlines of the Internet claim. To make such a definitive statement is flat-out false at this point and a terrifying, lynch-mob reach against a possibly innocent person’s reputation.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/tennessee-fans-proof-attack-greg-schianos-reputation-mob-anger-015951492.html

I saw Wetzel's article earlier. It's so nonsensical it borders on offensive. Schiano has done any number of unforgivable things as a football coach. What happened at Penn State is the worst but his character is deplorable even without that. But I thought somebody said it well when they pointed out how nobody at Penn State ever acknowledged that they saw anything. That's precisely the behavior that allowed that culture to thrive. UT fans took a stand. That's commendable, and if Wetzel doesn't get that, it's his character flaw to address.

Volunteer Falcon and Bdawg58 like this

2017: 4-8 (0-8)
2016: 9-4 (4-4)
2015: 9-4 (5-3)
2014: 7-6 (3-5)
2013: 5-7 (2-6)
2012: 5-7 (1-7)
2011: 5-7 (1-7)
2010: 6-7 (3-5)
2009: 7-6 (4-4)
2008: 5-7 (3-5)

Total: 62-63 (26-54)

Only 2 Top 25 finishes (Both #22 in the AP Poll in 2015 & 2016)

3-2 in Bowl Games (2 Music City, 1 Outback, 1 TaxSlayer & 1 Chick-Fila Bowl appearance)

1 Life Championship

To be under .500 in the past 10 years is unacceptable and 26-56 in SEC play is just horrible.  It sounds like Currie is going to redo his head coaching target board since his top targets are not going to happen.  This hire could end up costing Currie his job if he doesn't get it right.  

35 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

2017: 4-8 (0-8)
2016: 9-4 (4-4)
2015: 9-4 (5-3)
2014: 7-6 (3-5)
2013: 5-7 (2-6)
2012: 5-7 (1-7)
2011: 5-7 (1-7)
2010: 6-7 (3-5)
2009: 7-6 (4-4)
2008: 5-7 (3-5)

Total: 62-63 (26-54)

Only 2 Top 25 finishes (Both #22 in the AP Poll in 2015 & 2016)

3-2 in Bowl Games (2 Music City, 1 Outback, 1 TaxSlayer & 1 Chick-Fila Bowl appearance)

1 Life Championship

To be under .500 in the past 10 years is unacceptable and 26-56 in SEC play is just horrible.  It sounds like Currie is going to redo his head coaching target board since his top targets are not going to happen.  This hire could end up costing Currie his job if he doesn't get it right.  

We're still paying the price for Mike Hamilton's incompetence. I knew the last 10 years have been bad, but didn't realize how bad til looking at these stats. Here's hoping for a fresh start with a (hopefully) quality coach. 

14 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

Dennis Dodd says UT needs to hire Kiffin, again.

The thought of Kiffin back in Knoxville is hilarious. That's like taking back your ex-wife after she dropped you for another guy.

i have an entire family of vol fans on my mom's side that would jump ship and stop contributing if they hired kiffin back.  that was the one name that many vol fans i know does not want to see back in knoxville.  if they are that far down the list where lane if an option that's not a good thing at all.  

42 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

We're still paying the price for Mike Hamilton's incompetence. I knew the last 10 years have been bad, but didn't realize how bad til looking at these stats. Here's hoping for a fresh start with a (hopefully) quality coach. 

hamilton was horrible.  i just thought that was interesting seeing how bad it has been for those 10 years.. i mean you remember the 90s compared to what we see the past 10 years?  UGA's dark years were ray goff and his winning % for the SEC was .457 which was our worst ever.  Yeah you guys need a big hire, but i am not sure currie is the right guy to do it. 

3 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i have an entire family of vol fans on my mom's side that would jump ship and stop contributing if they hired kiffin back.  that was the one name that many vol fans i know does not want to see back in knoxville.  if they are that far down the list where lane if an option that's not a good thing at all.  

Interestingly enough I have talked to one Vol fan that wouldn't be against it and couldn't wrap my head around how crazy that was.  My guess would be most are adamantly against it but that she was even considering it was mind-boggling.

Just now, slamee101 said:

Interestingly enough I have talked to one Vol fan that wouldn't be against it and couldn't wrap my head around how crazy that was.  My guess would be most are adamantly against it but that she was even considering it was mind-boggling.

yeah my family are long time vol fans who are boosters and know a lot more about kiffin's short stay in knoxville then an average fan does.  they told me how much disrespect he had for tennessee and their history while he was on campus.  he never sold tennessee to recruits basically ignoring their history for his own southern cal history.  i remember an article about that and how that was upsetting to many people in the athletic department.  if lane kiffin does come back you will have a number of angry longtime vols and i could see currie losing his job over it.  he already had someone on the athletic board leak the schiano hire because that person was against it, can you imagine the feedback if they bring back a guy who basically spit in their face and then ran away after a year.  you used the term mind-boggling and i agree with that. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

hamilton was horrible.  i just thought that was interesting seeing how bad it has been for those 10 years.. i mean you remember the 90s compared to what we see the past 10 years?  UGA's dark years were ray goff and his winning % for the SEC was .457 which was our worst ever.  Yeah you guys need a big hire, but i am not sure currie is the right guy to do it. 

The 90's were great for UT football. And to think that many callers on talk radio complained big time about the 2-3 losses we averaged per season. Fulmer got complacent after 98, then LSU, Georgia, Florida & Alabama all hired great coaches, we hired lousy guys & the rest is history. 

Unfortunately for us, you're probably right about Currie not being the right guy. He was Mike Hamilton's top assistant for quite awhile. All guys like Currie & Hamilton are good for are raising money to build facilities. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I'd really rather not have Kiffin back. Not everything about his year was bad, but the way he left was awful. That said, he'd still be better than Schiano. That's not saying much though.