Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,731 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2017 at 4:25 PM, 95Dawg said:

Sorry, but this just seems a bit absurd to be getting rings just for a win that's not for the Conference or National championship.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/tennessee-getting-multiple-rings-2016-season/

Meh I don't like it, but it is what it is. A lot of teams get bowl rings and the Bristol rings were given out by Bristol, VT got them to and they lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Meh I don't like it, but it is what it is. A lot of teams get bowl rings and the Bristol rings were given out by Bristol, VT got them to and they lost.

Didn't know that. VT getting rings is even worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not real big on the multiple rings, but they didn't ask my opinion. To me, last season was a big disappointment, for the most part. Bad losses to South Carolina, Vanderbilt ruined what started out as a good season. Plus losing so badly to Alabama at home didn't help matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 3 tickets to the UT vs Georgia Tech game for sale if anyone is interested. Section 336, Row 17. I got them from AllVols.com, so it's safe to imagine that they're in the UT section. I paid not quite $85 per ticket, which is what I'm hoping to get out of them

 

EDIT: Tickets have been sold. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Piggy backing off Eddie's thread, Darrin Kirkland JR is out indefinitely with a knee injury. Really sucks for the kid he just can't stay healthy. Big loss especially for the Tech game.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon
eddiesauto likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2017 at 9:08 AM, Volunteer Falcon said:

Piggy backing off Eddie's thread, Darrin Kirkland JR is out indefinitely with a knee injury. Really sucks for the kid he just can't stay healthy. Big loss especially for the Tech game.

Agreed. Darn good player when he's out there, but can't stay healthy. I'm hoping he's back for the Florida game, but who knows, at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tennessee Vols top receiver Jauan Jennings 'probably done for season,' source says

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/ut/2017/09/05/source-tennessees-jauan-jennings-probably-done-season/633359001/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

 

i had to laugh at one of the questions that the georgia tech defense got worn out.. cpj was like they played for like 18 minutes during the game.  lol  

dislocated wrist jennings is gone for the regular season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He definitely deserves to look for a new job. I think he served UT well in recovering from the hole they were in following Kiffin and Dooley, but that’s about as far as it goes. Whoever replaces him won’t be facing the rebuild job Butch took on. He’s not a great coach but I’d say that’s a credit to him. He just isn’t the coach to take it to a championship level. 

So I hope they keep him. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Carter said:

He definitely deserves to look for a new job. I think he served UT well in recovering from the hole they were in following Kiffin and Dooley, but that’s about as far as it goes. Whoever replaces him won’t be facing the rebuild job Butch took on. He’s not a great coach but I’d say that’s a credit to him. He just isn’t the coach to take it to a championship level. 

So I hope they keep him. :D

 

Not everything about his tenure has been bad, but it's obvious that the next level won't be reached under Jones. UGA fans probably felt similar when Jim Donnan was Head Coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Monday 3-2-1

Brent Hubbs | Publisher

It's time for the 3-2-1 report. Three observations, two questions and a prediction as the Vols hit an open date desperate for answers.

Three things we learned in Saturday's loss:

It's the John Kelly show – John Kelly runs hard and is a good player. But when he's shut down, this offense is going no where. Tennessee finished the day with 142 yards of offense on 52 snaps. Kelly had 91 of those yards as he touched the ball 20 of the 52 offensive plays. For the year, Kelly has 48% of the teams total touches (receptions, rushes). He has 723 total years of offense. As a unit, the Vols have 1667 yards of offense this season.

The passing game is awful – The ball was late on Dormady's first interception. The receivers struggled to get open. When they were open the ball was off target. In two SEC games, Dormady has 5 interceptions. Saturday, they had one reception over 10 yards. Jarrett Guarantano in the last two games is 8 of 12 for 13 yards. Five of those 8 receptions have gone for negative yards. Simply put, the passing game looks like a train wreck.

Lack of depth hurting defensive front – Tennessee was good to start the game. In Georgia's first 20 snaps, the Bulldogs had 69 yards. Sixty two were passing yards, and 7 rushing yards. Tennessee had an interception, forced a fumble, two sacks and four total tackles for loss. The problem is that 52 snaps needed 309 yards. In the first 20 snaps, Tennessee played 5 total defensive linemen (3 ends, 2 tackles). When Georgia went up tempo, the Vol defensive front wore down. Brady Hoke's lack of commitment to playing more guys up front from the first game of the season has been puzzling to say the least.

Two questions heading into the bye week:

1 – What direction do they go at quarterback?

When you get routed 41-0, it's not all on the quarterback, but Tennessee's quarterback play isn't good enough. Quinten Dormady has 8 turnovers. He has 6 interceptions and 2 fumbles lost. Jarrett Guarantano has been put in tough situations but hasn't lit it up either. Guarantano has 12 completions in his career. Only 2 of those 12 have gone for more than 10 yards.

Tennessee must improve their play at the quarterback position if they are going to grow offensively. Defenses are defending the screens and the passes in the flat to the running back. Dormady has struggled getting ball down field. The receivers are having a difficult time beating press coverage. They had a couple of chances on Saturday in the first half but the ball was under thrown.

Jones says every position spot on the team is up for grabs and that they have no starters right now. And that starts at the quarterback position. What does Jones do there? It would appear a change is a must, but how Jones manages that position is a question. However, the bigger question is can either quarterback develop.

2 – How does this program respond?

If I'm AD John Currie, I have one question to Butch Jones. The question is what's your plan? How are you going to hold what looks to be a pretty volatile locker room together? How are you goingt to jump start the offensive development of that side of the ball from coaches through players?

Jones said Saturday night that everyone in the program should hurt after the embarrassing loss. But do they hurt? What is the pride level in the program? We won't know the answer to that question for two weeks. There will be talk of good practices, etc. But the truth will show itself in two weeks.

But how this program responds this week from top to bottom is going to dictate a great deal about the rest of this month and the future.

One prediction: It's going to be ugly

We're really crawling out on a limb here aren't we. The excitement level for Butch Jones took a dramatic change last November when he lost to Vanderbilt. That excitement level now has simply turned to anger.

Fans are mad, frustrated, disappointed, pissed whatever adjective you want to use. Those emotions aren't going away and with a week off those emotions are going to be heard more than ever before.

Jones always talks about blocking out the clutter. That seems really impossible to do right now and that clutter likely isn't all from outside noise.

It would seem that Jones is facing his greatest challenge since arriving in Knoxville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few thing on the Tennessee HC search. I think Butch will definitely be gone after this year because he clearly is not the man for the job. Tennessee has the ability to pay his buyout, so I don't think that will be a huge issue. But here are a few names I think Tennessee will consider:

1. Chip Kelly
2. Les Miles
3. Mike Gundy
4. Rocky Long 

Then here are a few other names that would be long shots, but I won't completely close the door on them:
1. David Shaw
2. Gary Kubiak
3. Pete Carroll (if the Seahawks locker room is in as bad of shape as it might seem, I would not be stunned to see him leave)

MemphibianDawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

A few thing on the Tennessee HC search. I think Butch will definitely be gone after this year because he clearly is not the man for the job. Tennessee has the ability to pay his buyout, so I don't think that will be a huge issue. But here are a few names I think Tennessee will consider:

1. Chip Kelly
2. Les Miles
3. Mike Gundy
4. Rocky Long 

Then here are a few other names that would be long shots, but I won't completely close the door on them:
1. David Shaw
2. Gary Kubiak
3. Pete Carroll (if the Seahawks locker room is in as bad of shape as it might seem, I would not be stunned to see him leave)

Objection! Your Honor, let the records show that tl;dr mentioned possible UT coaching hires without mentioning John Gruden which, as we all know, is not in accordance with the so-called "Chucky" statute instituted during the 2008 college football season which states that any and all lists of possible future UT coach hirings must include John Gruden. However, in light of this past weekend's knock out at Neyland, we will urge that the court show mercy if tl;dr will amend his list to include Bob Stoops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MemphibianDawg said:

Objection! Your Honor, let the records show that tl;dr mentioned possible UT coaching hires without mentioning John Gruden which, as we all know, is not in accordance with the so-called "Chucky" statute instituted during the 2008 college football season which states that any and all lists of possible future UT coach hirings must include John Gruden. However, in light of this past weekend's knock out at Neyland, we will urge that the court show mercy if tl;dr will amend his list to include Bob Stoops.

Lol this was a good read. Gruden will pretty much be mentioned in every Tennessee coaching search until he gets too old. I could be wrong, but I don't see him leaving unless they give him a ridiculous amount of money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I wonder if Tennessee would attempt to poach Derek Mason from Vandy? Boy, could you just imagine the uproar in Nashville if that were to happen?

That is scary.  He goes to Tennessee, he can coach a defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now