Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,659 posts in this topic

Not sure how true these rumors are, but I've heard that Purdue & Houston have contacted Butch Jones about their openings. If he leaves, I say go all in on Les Miles.

4 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

Not sure how true these rumors are, but I've heard that Purdue & Houston have contacted Butch Jones about their openings. If he leaves, I say go all in on Les Miles.

I would take Miles. My first call would be to Chip Kelly and give him whatever he wanted. UT would never do that though. I'd say there is a 99.9% chance Butch Jones is our coach next year.

eddiesauto likes this

1 hour ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

I would take Miles. My first call would be to Chip Kelly and give him whatever he wanted. UT would never do that though. I'd say there is a 99.9% chance Butch Jones is our coach next year.

Why do you want Chip Kelly?

Carter likes this

7 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

I think you're absolutely right about Butch Jones being head coach in 2017.

9 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

I think you're absolutely right about Butch Jones being head coach in 2017.

What do you think about a possible Lane Kiffin reunion? I've seen a few people mention it, and he is better than Butch IMO. I think he got a bad rep based off what happened at USC. Kiffin has also come closer than any recent UT coach to beating Alabama. 

But yes, Butch will be the HC next year. 

Edited by tl;dr

33 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

What do you think about a possible Lane Kiffin reunion? I've seen a few people mention it, and he is better than Butch IMO. I think he got a bad rep based off what happened at USC. Kiffin has also come closer than any recent UT coach to beating Alabama. 

But yes, Butch will be the HC next year. 

he deserved his bad rep.  lane kiffin has no business being a head coach of a program like tennessee.  he should start at a school like houston and prove himself.  he has had 3 bad stints as a head coach.  bailing after just 1 season was just ridiculous.  he also completely disrespected the volunteer brand when he was at tennessee and there is no way the boosters would take him back after it got out the stuff he did there. 

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

he deserved his bad rep.  lane kiffin has no business being a head coach of a program like tennessee.  he should start at a school like houston and prove himself.  he has had 3 bad stints as a head coach.  bailing after just 1 season was just ridiculous.  he also completely disrespected the volunteer brand when he was at tennessee and there is no way the boosters would take him back after it got out the stuff he did there. 

Kiffin was 28-15 as a HC as USC and 35-21 overall. He was no where near as bad as people make him out to be. In 2012 USC had a boat load of injuries, plus NCAA sanctions during that time. You always hear that NCAA sanctions are not usually felt until a few years after they start. He was a good recruiter as well. 

Now he was bad with the Raiders, but he was not as bad in college as people made him out to be. 

2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Kiffin was 28-15 as a HC as USC and 35-21 overall. He was no where near as bad as people make him out to be. In 2012 USC had a boat load of injuries, plus NCAA sanctions during that time. You always hear that NCAA sanctions are not usually felt until a few years after they start. He was a good recruiter as well. 

Now he was bad with the Raiders, but he was not as bad in college as people made him out to be. 

Being a HC is more than just on field record.

Just now, tl;dr said:

even with the sanctions they had a lot of talent when he took over USC.  the sanctions would have started to hurt depth in a few years, but before that he had plenty of talent.  35-21 overall isn't very good and he was ran out of usc because of a number of factors not just won and loss.  ed o took over that team that kiffin had lost to a bad washington state team and was ran off the field by asu and he finished up very well with those same players.  at tennessee he was a train wreck.  he acted like a punk and bolted after just 1 season.  while at tennessee he had the administration give all of his guys multi year deals so when he left after 1 year they were stuck with all these guys on staff.  head coach after head coach turned them down because of that.  they got stuck with dooley.  i won't get into the crap he did at tennessee.  he had no respect for the university.  the issue for kiffin is everything was given to him when he was too young and immature to realize what it took to lead a program and until he proves otherwise i don't see a legitimate big 5 school making him the leader of their program.  he should do the smart thing and go to a place like houston and show he can lead a program because he never has done so successfully anywhere. 

6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Being a HC is more than just on field record.

He was a punk, but I think some of that has gone away. He has all the tools to be a good HC, he just lacked maturity. Some of that improves with age. 

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

even with the sanctions they had a lot of talent when he took over USC.  the sanctions would have started to hurt depth in a few years, but before that he had plenty of talent.  35-21 overall isn't very good and he was ran out of usc because of a number of factors not just won and loss.  ed o took over that team that kiffin had lost to a bad washington state team and was ran off the field by asu and he finished up very well with those same players.  at tennessee he was a train wreck.  he acted like a punk and bolted after just 1 season.  while at tennessee he had the administration give all of his guys multi year deals so when he left after 1 year they were stuck with all these guys on staff.  head coach after head coach turned them down because of that.  they got stuck with dooley.  i won't get into the crap he did at tennessee.  he had no respect for the university.  the issue for kiffin is everything was given to him when he was too young and immature to realize what it took to lead a program and until he proves otherwise i don't see a legitimate big 5 school making him the leader of their program.  he should do the smart thing and go to a place like houston and show he can lead a program because he never has done so successfully anywhere. 

I don't think he will get the UT job. Let me put that out there. I think the Houston job would be a perfect place for him to go. He was a bone head at Tennessee, and even I hated him for it. 

9 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I don't think he will get the UT job. Let me put that out there. I think the Houston job would be a perfect place for him to go. He was a bone head at Tennessee, and even I hated him for it. 

i personally think that would be a terrific move for lane.  houston is in a good spot with some talent.  kiffin will be able to recruit and we know for sure he can do that.  he is there a few years and then moves on to a big 5 team most likely in the SEC. 

11 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i personally think that would be a terrific move for lane.  houston is in a good spot with some talent.  kiffin will be able to recruit and we know for sure he can do that.  he is there a few years and then moves on to a big 5 team most likely in the SEC. 

Houston is the best job out there for him right now. Unless Oregon comes calling, then he should take that job. I would not be shocked to see Kiffin end up at Alabama one day as the HC. I think Kiffin or Dabo will be Alabama's next HC. 

Whoever Tennessee's next HC is though, he needs to be someone who is proven. Don't go out and hire the Cincinnati coach, or the LA Tech coach. Tennessee has the fan support and history to get almost anyone they want. Les Miles and Bobby Petrino are the 2 big names Tennessee should go after. PJ Fleck and Matt Rhule are 2 other guys that may be good hires, but they need to have success somewhere else other than in the MAC and AAC. 

Another guy that I think could be a good fit for Tennessee is Ken Whisenhunt. He had a few good years in the NFL as a HC, and has been around in Tennessee because of his stint with the Titans. He's been a great OC too.

I'm telling y'all... if/when Butch Jones gets fired, Ken Whisenhunt is a name to watch. 

8 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Houston is the best job out there for him right now. Unless Oregon comes calling, then he should take that job. I would not be shocked to see Kiffin end up at Alabama one day as the HC. I think Kiffin or Dabo will be Alabama's next HC. 

Dabo is the next head coach at bama i bet.  he is a heck of a coach as well. 

Tennessee will be stuck with 7-5, 8-4, 9-3 seasons until they open the checkbook and go out and get a proven head coach. Unfortunately Tennessee has never shown that they want to go that route. Don't get me wrong, Tennessee is much better off then it was 5 years ago, but to take that next step they need to make a big time hire. If Butch wants any chance to stay at UT he needs to make a lot of staff changes this off season.

21 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Dabo is the next head coach at bama i bet.  he is a heck of a coach as well. 

I hope so! I would really like that

13 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Tennessee will be stuck with 7-5, 8-4, 9-3 seasons until they open the checkbook and go out and get a proven head coach. Unfortunately Tennessee has never shown that they want to go that route. Don't get me wrong, Tennessee is much better off then it was 5 years ago, but to take that next step they need to make a big time hire. If Butch wants any chance to stay at UT he needs to make a lot of staff changes this off season.

your fan base would pay for butch's ticket to purdue if it got him up there.. the rumors are going a bit crazy now on ut message boards.

Four-star senior athlete CJ Cotman of Clearwater (Fla.) Central Catholic High School posted on his Twitter account Tuesday night that he has decommitted from Tennessee.

The 5-foot-11, 180-pound Cotman had been committed to Tennessee since July. He's ranked in the nation's No. 278 overall prospect and No. 16 athlete in the 247Sports Composite for the 2017 class. He was projected to play running back or wide receiver for Tennessee.

(What's next for the Vols? Make sure you're in the loop — take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Vols newsletter now!)

Cotman was one of three players who parted ways with Tennessee on Tuesday, along with defensive tackles Breyon Gaddy and Brandon Gaddy of Virginia Beach, Va.