Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,659 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

Hush money might have not been the best description for the money paid. Something I do hope, not just at UT, but at ALL University Campuses is that the sexual assaults and violence stops. It's a shame that they had to create a group to try to prevent sexual assaults from happening, but hopefully it's effective in stopping the bad things from happening.

You're right, hush money wasn't the best term to use. I hope these cases, true or not, do open a lot of eyes and help to prevent sexual assaults on campuses across America.  I saw a chart awhile back that showed the number of sexual assaults on campuses around the country and UT was well down the list. I just hope something can be down to combat this across the country.

I will definitely be at Bristol. I'm hoping to make it back down for the Falcons opener but I don't expect to be leaving the Bristol parking lot until 3-4 a.m. with how congested it will be.

eddiesauto likes this

14 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Sac, 

I think it will lose some players for them but overall.  The university made the settlement to go on.  As for Baylor, that university is hurt for a while because at least 12 players have left with nothing coming back.  We do not know what infractions the NC double do nothing will do to them.  

Finally, do we see Ole Miss getting more even after their self imposed infractions.  I believe all three should get a punishment but I will always say when you hurt human life then that is more than improper benefits.  JMO.    

they made this deal so that it is forgotten by the season's start.. it was a smart move, because there was no way tennessee wanted their staff on the witness stand or this in the news any longer.  it had to go away and they got rid of it.  they have settled 3 cases for over 4 million dollars since 2014.  they won't lose any recruits over this, but butch isn't recruiting at a high enough level anyways.  baylor is in horrible shape.  they are going to lose guys to transfer as well.  they will be back at the bottom of the pile and the big 12 is gunning for them as well.  they have had 3 major issues one included not only the death of a player by his own teammate, but the head coach covering up cheating by placing the blame on the dead player.  that program is pure garbage and a joke of a school.

north carolina is a sacred cow.. the ncaa did everything they could to protect them when you had obvious and longterm academic fraud and cheating and bogus classes as well as bogus degrees to keep kids qualified.. it's one of the biggest travesty's ever in college sports, this protection and coverup.  ole miss however won't be that fortunate.  if you have followed it all there is ample proof of blatant academic fraud and paying of players and the staff setting up those payments.  if they aren't hit hard i would be stunned.. they are a program the ncaa will flex their muscle to save face. 

2 hours ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

I will definitely be at Bristol. I'm hoping to make it back down for the Falcons opener but I don't expect to be leaving the Bristol parking lot until 3-4 a.m. with how congested it will be.

Said traffic is the biggest reason that I don't plan on going to Bristol. I'm not into Nascar, but have heard from fans that it's horrible trying to get into/out of Bristol Motor Speedway. When I was in the Army, I'd drive through Bristol fairly regularly on Interstate 81 and it seemed like a small place that just happened to have a gigantic racetrack located there. I think it's great that they're finally doing this, but I personally think I'll enjoy watching it more at home than I would have in attendance.

On a side note, this is one of slightly over half of the recent/future neutral site games that I actually like that UT is participating in. Atlanta in 2012/2017, I like, as well as Bristol vs Virginia Tech this season, but Nashville vs Bowling Green (originally UAB till they dropped football program) last season and West Virginia in Charlotte for 2018 seem unnecessary to me. Atlanta is probably good for recruiting, plus I like the SEC/ACC matchup. Charlotte isn't bad for recruiting, but I'd rather do a home/away with the Mountaineers.

Totally unrelated matter, Sac, check your private messages when you get a chance this week. I'm thinking of going down to the Braves games vs the Rockies next weekend.

11 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

Said traffic is the biggest reason that I don't plan on going to Bristol. I'm not into Nascar, but have heard from fans that it's horrible trying to get into/out of Bristol Motor Speedway. When I was in the Army, I'd drive through Bristol fairly regularly on Interstate 81 and it seemed like a small place that just happened to have a gigantic racetrack located there. I think it's great that they're finally doing this, but I personally think I'll enjoy watching it more at home than I would have in attendance.

On a side note, this is one of slightly over half of the recent/future neutral site games that I actually like that UT is participating in. Atlanta in 2012/2017, I like, as well as Bristol vs Virginia Tech this season, but Nashville vs Bowling Green (originally UAB till they dropped football program) last season and West Virginia in Charlotte for 2018 seem unnecessary to me. Atlanta is probably good for recruiting, plus I like the SEC/ACC matchup. Charlotte isn't bad for recruiting, but I'd rather do a home/away with the Mountaineers.

Totally unrelated matter, Sac, check your private messages when you get a chance this week. I'm thinking of going down to the Braves games vs the Rockies next weekend.

hey man i will check it.. i am considering that as well.  i want a replica ring.  

Todd Kelly Jr will be wearing #24 this season to honor Zaevion Dobson, a local High School student who was shot and killed protecting friends from a drive by shooting. Awesome stuff!

SacFalcFan likes this

23 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

CozFbj2UAAApGtd.jpgbutch is doing all he can to stop being referred to as 3 star U. 

No issue with this whatsoever. Tennessee has always had a huge social media presence and will continue to do so. Not worried about recruiting at all.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

I don't follow recruiting closely, but I do know that I'll be watching UT play Appalachian State this time next month. Opening kickoff is September 1st at 7:30. It'll be interesting to watch UT on a Thursday night game. I could be way off on this, but the last Thursday game I remember UT playing was at Ole Miss in 1996. Sunday night game in 2004 vs UNLV & a Monday night game at LSU in 2005 on account of Hurricane Katrina.

19 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

I don't follow recruiting closely, but I do know that I'll be watching UT play Appalachian State this time next month. Opening kickoff is September 1st at 7:30. It'll be interesting to watch UT on a Thursday night game. I could be way off on this, but the last Thursday game I remember UT playing was at Ole Miss in 1996. Sunday night game in 2004 vs UNLV & a Monday night game at LSU in 2005 on account of Hurricane Katrina.

i hope you have fun man.. should be an easy win.  you coming down for the tennessee/uga game in athens?  regarding recruiting the big joke now among those who follow it is the vols have turned into 3 star U.  you guys have taken so many commits that are borderline takes this early in recruiting.  i know butch will drop them if he gets higher committed players and that is probably their plan.   the big issue for this year's class are there is some very high ranked instate kids and a lot of the best of tennessee are opting to go elsewhere which really can't happen if tennessee is going to compete in the SEC long term with butch at the helm.  there usually isn't a lot of great instate talent so when tennessee has them they need to do a better job keeping them home.  that was behind the lane kiffin comments and digs at the vols.  the vol's need to have a huge season on the field and to get some momentum. 

On 8/1/2016 at 8:58 PM, SacFalcFan said:

hope you have fun man.. should be an easy win.  you coming down for the tennessee/uga game in athens?  regarding recruiting the big joke now among those who follow it is the vols have turned into 3 star U.  you guys have taken so many commits that are borderline takes this early in recruiting.  i know butch will drop them if he gets higher committed players and that is probably their plan.   the big issue for this year's class are there is some very high ranked instate kids and a lot of the best of tennessee are opting to go elsewhere which really can't happen if tennessee is going to compete in the SEC long term with butch at the helm.  there usually isn't a lot of great instate talent so when tennessee has them they need to do a better job keeping them home.  that was behind the lane kiffin comments and digs at the vols.  the vol's need to have a huge season on the field and to get some momentum. 

Thanks man! I most likely won't be going to Athens this year, but hopefully can at one point in the future. You're absolutely right, Tennessee doesn't usually have great in-state talent. I hope that more will come to Knoxville, rather than leave the state. I'm expecting a very good season, but to lose to Georgia this season. It's really hard to get a win in Athens, so I don't expect it to change under Smart. I'll also pencil Florida as a loss until Tennessee proves that they can beat those guys. I'm not hugely concerned about what Lane Kiffin thinks though haha.

45 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

Thanks man! I most likely won't be going to Athens this year, but hopefully can at one point in the future. You're absolutely right, Tennessee doesn't usually have great in-state talent. I hope that more will come to Knoxville, rather than leave the state. I'm expecting a very good season, but to lose to Georgia this season. It's really hard to get a win in Athens, so I don't expect it to change under Smart. I'll also pencil Florida as a loss until Tennessee proves that they can beat those guys. I'm not hugely concerned about what Lane Kiffin thinks though haha.

lolol.. i wouldn't be concerned with what lane kiffin thinks either.. he is just digging in the knife because he is a tool in life.  that stinks.. i was hoping you were coming down for the game in athens.  should be a fun game in athens.  right now i give the vol's the edge because you guys have less question marks and know who your qb will be.  if we can figure out the qb spot we will be more competitive at home, but that's a big question.  yeah the florida gmae is a huge huge deal for the vols.  the last two years i was stunned the vols lost.  

Dave Hart will be retiring in June 2017, it will be interesting to see who Tennessee picks as its next AD. Two names that I think would be a great hire are David Blackburn and Charles Davis. 

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

44 minutes ago, Volunteer Falcon said:

Dave Hart will be retiring in June 2017, it will be interesting to see who Tennessee picks as its next AD. Two names that I think would be a great hire are David Blackburn and Charles Davis. 

and Greg McGarity..

Knoxville Police Department to replace Tennessee football liaison

http://wate.com/2016/08/17/knoxville-police-department-ends-university-of-tennessee-football-liaison-position/

that is a great move.. that was quite pathetic and should be against the law how the liaison handled those rape accusations.  now i am sure they believe he was unbiased (lol), but frankly the chair he sat in at the precinct should have given it away..

5501-TENN-2.jpg?1316429007

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Lot of rumblings around Chattanooga today that Blackburn is the top candidate.

I think it's a safe bet it will be Blackburn.