Volunteer Falcon

Tennessee Thread

1,622 posts in this topic

a big reason you got those guys was due to what graham did.. the period of time was very short from when he left and when those guys committed.

Not knocking Graham, he didn't mesh with the staff no ill will towards him. He did a good job bringing in some prospects, like North this year and he did a tremendous job with Neal and Lane last year. It was troubling to a lot of people that he wasn't able to bring in a big time RB while he was here, that's coming from "insiders" not just me. I know a lot of other factors played into it but I think we got a very good replacement. Especially for the system we are running now.

Jordan McRae and Jarnell Stokes both have put their names in to check on their potential draft status. Most people believe that neither will get good enough news back to leave but if one does it will more than likely be Stokes.

no offense to stokes, but he is one of the most overrated players out there. he doesn't have much offensive skills. he just has great size, but at the next level he is just one of many with size. he doesn't have anything as a player that separates himself with his skillset. he does hustle, but then in games he is non-existent and you see he is just going through the motions. jordan is amazing as a scorer.. it will be interesting to see if he leaves early.. not sure what more he can do in order to get better by staying another year.

no offense to stokes, but he is one of the most overrated players out there. he doesn't have much offensive skills. he just has great size, but at the next level he is just one of many with size. he doesn't have anything as a player that separates himself with his skillset. he does hustle, but then in games he is non-existent and you see he is just going through the motions. jordan is amazing as a scorer.. it will be interesting to see if he leaves early.. not sure what more he can do in order to get better by staying another year.

Stokes definitely needs to improve his game to be competitive in the NBA. Like you said he is just another guy with size at the next level right now. If he can develop a mid range jumper he will be much more desirable. I think if you were to draft Stokes right now you are basically getting a guy that's going to nab you a lot of rebounds and not give you a lot on the offensive side. He does average a double double which is good but there are a lot of little things he needs to work on to make it in the league. One thing that bothers me more than anything with him is when he gets the ball he doesn't immediately take it up when he has the chance to be one-on-one. Instead he'll dribble a couple of times and try to make a move on the defender and by that time 2 or 3 more guys have collapsed in on him and then he'll still try to go up without dishing it to an outside player.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

Vols get a really nice pick up, 3* TE Ethan Wolf has committed.

congrats.. he is a good player.. plus i love his name "Wolf"..

congrats.. he is a good player.. plus i love his name "Wolf"..

Pretty excited about that pick up, we really need a good TE, Butch Jones seems to use them a lot.

Stokes definitely needs to improve his game to be competitive in the NBA. Like you said he is just another guy with size at the next level right now. If he can develop a mid range jumper he will be much more desirable. I think if you were to draft Stokes right now you are basically getting a guy that's going to nab you a lot of rebounds and not give you a lot on the offensive side. He does average a double double which is good but there are a lot of little things he needs to work on to make it in the league. One thing that bothers me more than anything with him is when he gets the ball he doesn't immediately take it up when he has the chance to be one-on-one. Instead he'll dribble a couple of times and try to make a move on the defender and by that time 2 or 3 more guys have collapsed in on him and then he'll still try to go up without dishing it to an outside player.

completely agree on stokes and i think right now the reason he is able to average that double double is due to his and that not something you will find on a bunch of teams. he physically is bigger and stronger than his competition right now so he needs to work on his game so when he does get to the nba he has more to offer. also coach martin needs to have one of his coaches really work with stokes. i hope he can make some improvement because physically he is intimidating. yeah his hesitation is very evident. it's like he doesn't know what he wants to do or what he wants to do he doesn't feel comfortable yet doing. i hope he stays for his sake.

Vols pick up their first commitment for the 2015 class from Zach Stewart a OL/DL from Coalfield, Tennessee.

In other news tomorrow is the O&W game and will be the first time the fan base gets to see a Butch Jones team in action, should be interesting to at least see some informations and what both sides of the ball will look like.

McRae will be returning next year, very good news for us.

great news for the vols.. is stokes staying?

great news for the vols.. is stokes staying?

There hasn't been any definite news yet. A couple people close to the program like Brent Hubbs and Rob Lewis seem to think that he will be back but there hasn't been a lot of information here recently.

Tennessee managed to pull in a little over 61,000 for the spring game which was the 2nd highest all time. There were also a lot of former players at the game which was great to see. They had a dj booth set up in the corner of the end zone and Arian Foster got on it for some of the game, that went over huge with the recruits. Overall it was probably the best atmosphere at a UT spring game that I can recall.

The defense actually looked very good and looked like we may get some solid contributions from a few younger players such as LaTroy Lewis who was really impressive. Offensively there is a lot of work to be done. Most of our primary play makers did not play and/or arent on campus yet. The scheme was very vanilla with a lot of singleback formations primarily out of the gun. It looks like Justin Worley will most likely be the starter at QB game 1.

I think the class is rated #4 so far. I like where Butch is leading Tennessee,He recruits His tail off. I think Tennessee will have a winning season and a bowl game in His first season

I think the class is rated #4 so far. I like where Butch is leading Tennessee,He recruits His tail off. I think Tennessee will have a winning season and a bowl game in His first season

Butch Jones it exactly what the university needed right now. He is doing all the right things, including getting former players back on campus which is huge. The turn out of former players for the orange and white game was incredible.

Orlando Brown has committed to the Vols. If this kid can get his weight under control he has the potential to be a big time player.