Baker Got 41 Million.

Baker was only a average tackle one season. He also horrible in run blocking. Just cause he kept Ryan upright doesn't wipe away a career filled with injuries and way below average play. You can argue all you want but Baker still has a lot to prove and be is not trust worthy. You will also be same dude crying complaining why Ryan doesn't have any time if Baker reverts back to old form

what would YOU have done ?
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baker was only a average tackle one season. He also horrible in run blocking. Just cause he kept Ryan upright doesn't wipe away a career filled with injuries and way below average play. You can argue all you want but Baker still has a lot to prove and be is not trust worthy. You will also be same dude crying complaining why Ryan doesn't have any time if Baker reverts back to old form

Actually, its the other way around...you can argue all YOU want but Baker is obviously gonna be here for a minute.

Whadya gonna do?

Reports I've seen state he is under what Beaty and Bushrod got in terms of per year average. It does not seem like a bad deal. People don't realize that guys don't make 2 million dollars a year any more on their second contract. That type of money goes to role players. Think about this, Harry Douglas got an average of 3.125 million a year for a part time gig. He is what, the 4th receiving option on the team. So the most important offensive line spot to mean would be worth more than double.

People may not like Baker, but he came cheaper than Bushrod. I don't know who else other would have wanted us to get.

This is the only point that matters. Who else was there to get, at a price the Falcons could afford? Do you really want Holmes starting at LT next season? If so, I think you are exceptionally delusional in his abilities and prearedness for the caliber of players at the NFL level. Remember he was a drafted as a 3rd round project, that could start at LT in 2-3 years.

This Baker contract essentially allows for that to happen, unless Baker plays like he did this past year. Which then you can say the Holmes pick was a waste, but at the time of the draft, we all know that Baker was a toss up, so the pick made sense. If this scenario were to play out, ideally we could shift Holmes over to RT, again that might take some coaching etc...

But to my original point, what reasonable LT options were out there for the Falcons? Keep in mind, OL continuity is important, so bringing in a new LT, doesn't always translate to instant success....

Not signed Baker to 18 mil guranteed. Not brought back Tony G. I would have spent that $ more wisely like bring in 2 veteran pass rushers in Osi and Freeny. There job would be to teach and develop the young pass rushers like Biermann and Massaquoi. I would have brought in Sammie Hill at DT and brought in a good pass blocking tight end such as D Walker. Than onto draft with 30th pick I draft a real franchise LT that is more durable then Baker.

Glad you have a plan, but the reason I do what the Falcons did is because you still have 2 old DEs, granted I think Osi has something left, but they are both old. They are left to mentor 2 guys that may not amount to much, both 5th round draft pick, so that's the future? And you are going to spend a high pick on a LT who likely has to learn on the job. No problem with the LT if that is what you HAVE to do, but we didn't have to do that because of Baker. People may not want to admit it, Baker has been good when he has been healthy. Falcons are betting on that, which I don't mind.

I recall Fred Taylor missing 24 games in his first 4 seasons. H then went on to only miss 9 games in his next 6 years. He was always a good player for the Jags organization. I'm just saying, you can't get rid of everybody. You gave Dunta and Abe the boot. We still have to bring in guys at DE, CB and RB. You can include LB and DT too. This is all possible in the draft, they may still hit one of these positions in free agency once things calm down.

Too many people always want to win the press conference. They want to hear the team talked about in the national media because they "have" to be the favorite now because we just got a whole lot better. Settle down, let the team and GM do their job. Too many teams have tried to win the press conference and ended up regretting it.

• 7 months later...

Now lets watch everybody overreact before any of the details are known. More than likely he's not going to see even half of that.

thats about half too much, **** I was hoping Baker would pan out, but a lot of people here had seen enough before resigning him. Think TD didn't see clearly what others here certainly did in this case. Call it blind luck or whatever but you do expect your wonder boy GM not miss on resignings like a Baker here or a DeCoud there. **** a GM and coaches have got project where that guy will be instead of loading him up with an uncertain contract.

thats about half too much, **** I was hoping Baker would pan out, but a lot of people here had seen enough before resigning him. Think TD didn't see clearly what others here certainly did in this case. Call it blind luck or whatever but you do expect your wonder boy GM not miss on resignings like a Baker here or a DeCoud there. **** a GM and coaches have got project where that guy will be instead of loading him up with an uncertain contract.

I have a headache.