Creative

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Pat Y.

"

It’s a six-year deal worth $41.1 million. Baker got a $10 million signing bonus and his first-year base salary will be $1 million.

Baker’s base salary jumps to $3.25 million in 2014 and the first two years are guaranteed. In 2015, the base salary rises to $4.25 million.

The 2016 base salary is $5.25 million. In 2017, Baker’s salary is $6.5 million and in 2018 it rises to $6.6 million.

The deal also includes a possible $3.9 million in escalators."

Heavily back loaded. He will have to work for that money.

It doesn't matter if he sees the $ or not. You give 18 guranteed to a player that is a walking injury and puts together one good season in his contract season. It sets a bad precedence and shows other players on the team you can perform and be hurt but have one good season and we will reward you, mind you we left our starting MLB go to the crap Saints over nothing. What value does Baker have to Falcons at those numbers? None now run along

our crap MLB decided to take the offer from the aints that was below what we offered him. Now, you run along

Pat Hill turned this guy around. He'll be a great LT for years. He only had one bad year if you actually look at his whole time here and that was due to injury.

Yikes that is not a popular opinion around here. But it is pretty close to true.

The only HORRIBLE year he had was in 2011

That was as bad as it gets

He as at minimum average in 2010

2009 was a bit-rough but he was decent injuries hurt him

in 2008 early on he looked like the best tackle drafted but injuries hurt him there too.

The problem around here is the fact people keep their image of 2011 in their head and can not/will not see the whole picture.

Just like the yahoo who keeps saying Baker was the "worst tackle in the playoffs"... the reality does not match the image they have.

He's a good player, we payed market value, we kept a guy we knew. The deal is probably back loaded, and cap friendly for this year.

Simple.

Bingo, we signed a guy we know instead of going out and overpaying some overrated dipshiitt for name recognition. Which I hope doesn't happen in the DE market, again

If Sam Baker came into my office wanting 18 mil guranteed I would have said take a hike pal. I would have then made secondary plans in a deep offensive line draft and Tackle draft to get a stud and used that Sam Baker contract on two defensive line players. I could have brought Osi and Hill to Atlanta for that kind of money and also brought back a insurance policy like Will S

Mr. Blank just called and offered you a job. Cleaning toilets at Home Depot

I really think that 41 millions is alot of money to a Regular Player .... I really don't like to hear the 49ers and Seahawks building champioship teams and we only resing our own personal, I know it has work for us in the past, but you can always do better... with that kind of money we could had made a run at Jake Long... he sure would be an upgrade .... I trust TD but I'm not happy....

Long an upgrade. Have you watched football at all? Abe dismantled his azz in his first game and he reallly hasn't lived up to his 1st selection. It says something that they would let him walk before trying to resign him for his 2nd contract

When TD answers to Blank, TD can say, look, Lofton was so good that another team outbid us. TD can't say that about baker Baker, but he can say that Baker's so good that we resigned him to a huge deal because that's what the 'market' was commanding.

huge smh, you don't know what you're talking about so go back to sucking your thumb

The contract can be set up with gurantees of injury and roster bonuses. I have noted that but there still will be a signing bonus of 8-10 million. Plus the gurantees will kick in when he hits that year and pro rated. If Baker is cut it will create some dead money. We have to see what are the bonus and what year they slotted. That does not take away Sam Baker is a below average player that had one good season

Baker is an average LT that we will not overpay for in the long run. If Mike Kenn is available in the next few drafts,I bet we get him

Wow but actually not surprised. That's the going rate for a professional left tackle these days. He was in Bushrod's range basically. As long as there is a low initial cap hit, then I could care less.

Reports I've seen state he is under what Beaty and Bushrod got in terms of per year average. It does not seem like a bad deal. People don't realize that guys don't make 2 million dollars a year any more on their second contract. That type of money goes to role players. Think about this, Harry Douglas got an average of 3.125 million a year for a part time gig. He is what, the 4th receiving option on the team. So the most important offensive line spot to me would be worth more than double.

People may not like Baker, but he came cheaper than Bushrod. I don't know who else other would have wanted us to get.

Edited by isproab

You honestly think this makes any sense? We completely wasted a 3rd round pick last year and cut Abe in the process.

how did we waste a 3rd rounder? the kid was a rookie from a small school. give him a few years to learn under baker. obviously this means we dont feel that holmes is ready yet, but that doesnt write him off as a bust. keep baker on this deal for 3 years then cut him when holmes is ready. in the meantime, holmes can develop and be a nice backup.

the other possibility is that we feel Holmes can move to RT to replace Clabo when the time comes. (i know Holmes is a natural LT, im just throwing out ideas)

and Abe was probably gone either way. looks like we could go 3-4 anyway, who knows?

Edited by Cole World

You got to love Mr. Right. He's not a fan of this team yet is always hanging around here. Do you have a job bro? A life? Anything besides constantly hating on a team you don't even like. There has to be more to life than that! Has to be!

Feel bad for you bro, really do. I bet in a weird way you consider us family don't you? What a lonely person will do to feel wanted and needed. A shame really.

You know, I was thinking along the same lines, but no I came to my senses. Is and always be challenged at the 3rd grade spelling bee