Here's Our Starting Ol And Dl As Of Now.

LT - Sam Baker (below avg.)

LG - Justin Blalock (avg., overpaid)

C - Peter Konz (below avg. last season)

RG - ???

RT - Tyson Clabo

DE - Cliff Matthews (lol)

DT - Jonathan Babineaux

DT - Peria Jerry (lol)

DE - Kroy Biermann

Throw Peters, Reynolds and Hawley in there somewhere. Compare this to the likes of San Francisco and, well, we're not even in the same league.

San Fran has been Drafting in the top ten for ten years .

dont like that comparison .

Konz didnt even play a full season last year. He's not ready to be a Center yet. Hawley is all we got and has played Center for the squad before. I dont see TD drafting an OL high enough in the draft to be an immediate starter this year.

I can see Reynolds starting at RG and Konz at Center if Konz can prove he's ready in the preseason though. Dont count on any new OL joining the team to start.

his natural position is center FYI, and he played RG last year cuz Reynolds got hurt. We won't be adding anyone new to the OL is correct.cuz Reynolds will be put back at RG and with McClure retiring Konz will shift to his natural position at Canter.

LT - Sam Baker (below avg.)

LG - Justin Blalock (avg., overpaid)

C - Peter Konz (below avg. last season)

RG - ???

RT - Tyson Clabo

DE - Cliff Matthews (lol)

DT - Jonathan Babineaux

DT - Peria Jerry (lol)

DE - Kroy Biermann

Throw Peters, Reynolds and Hawley in there somewhere. Compare this to the likes of San Francisco and, well, we're not even in the same league.

Baker being ranked 17th, makes him literally average, not below average. Because there are 32 starting LT's, the 16th and the 17th are the definition of average because the statistical mean would be 16.5.

Blalock is average which is fine for a starter.

Konz's natural position is center, so I fully expect him to be at least average at the position this next year, if not in the top 10.

RG is the only significant issue on the OL, the rest of the line is either adequate or good.

On the DL, we need a starting DE, which we will find in the draft or FA. And across from babineaux, peters is more than adequate and hopefully we will sign someone like Sammie hill for cheap.

I think the falcons can easily sign 2-3 cheap FA's on defense by restructuring a few contracts. The situation is not as terrible as you make it seem.

his natural position is center FYI, and he played RG last year cuz Reynolds got hurt. We won't be adding anyone new to the OL is correct.cuz Reynolds will be put back at RG and with McClure retiring Konz will shift to his natural position at Canter.

I watched the draft last year. I know he played Center for Wisconsin. I also know that Smitty likes to have his Oline play multiple positions. Did you read my entire post? I said they'll put him at Center if he proves he's ready in the preseason. Hawley has already played center for the team. They're not just going to give Konz the job because he played RG for about 9 games of the season. He has to prove it.

Yeah, because we're going to find at least 5 new starters in the next two months. You serious dude?

RG is already filled with Johnson. We have 9 draft picks, the possibility of more cuts to go and all of FA. YES...dead serious. The chicken littles are always out in force at this time of year.

I'm surprised how few people are penciling in Reynolds as our starting right guard next season. I don't know why we re-signed him at the price we did if it wasn't to be the #1 challenger to start again. He won the job last year with these coaches, and he actually looked pretty good until he got hurt.

I fully expect the offensive line to look like:

LT Baker

LG Blalock

C Konz

RG Reynolds

RT Clabo

We usually carry 3 backup offensive linemen, and those would be:

Holmes (swing tackle)

Hawley (can backup G or C)

Johnson (can backup G or T)

I'd love to have Svitek back as insurance as well, but if we carry a ninth offensive linemen this season, it's more likely to be a guard... someone like Manley or Gunn.

Edited by virginiafalcon

Hawley will be the Center & Konz will stay at RG.

I disagree

G Reynolds will be the RG and Konz makes the move to his Natural Spot at Center

as for the D ???

who knows

we dont even know if we are staying in a 4-3 and the FO has gave us no clue with zero new additions, just a buntch of Pro Bowls cut in abe turner and DRob

I disagree

G Reynolds will be the RG and Konz makes the move to his Natural Spot at Center

as for the D ???

who knows

we dont even know if we are staying in a 4-3 and the FO has gave us no clue with zero new additions, just a buntch of Pro Bowls cut in abe turner and DRob

If Konz is ready to play Center they'll put him there. Nobody knows until the preseason games. All i've been saying is if Hawley(who already has played center) looks better they're not just going to start Konz anyway. If Reynolds looks better he'll be the RG. Konz looked average at best last year. I dont think he's ready to play Center. He barely played okay at RG which was only 9 games.

LT - Baker

LG - Blaylock

OC - Konz

RG - Reynolds

RT - CLabo

looks like the same line, with an improvement at OC that took us to within 10 yards of the SB. I can live with that

DL:

RE - Massaquoi/Matthews (likely another UFA and/or draft pick here, but coach is high in Mass)

DT - Babinueax

DT - Peters

LE - Beirmann

once again, similar line, but losing 10 sacks from Abe hurts on the surface. But the coaches made the choice to release Abe. They see him and Mass, and didnt think Abe was worth 5M cap hit. That says something. Rumored to be interested in Osi, and there is still the draft. I am not THAT worried right now.

Peters will (IMO) bounce back big this season, he should be healthy and confident in his recovery now. He was on thelist of guys to look for going into last season. Babs is still the man.

I really dont think it is THAT bad. There surely are teams in worse condition.

I didn't get past calling Baker below average. I've seen this a few times on here since he was re-signed. What I don't know is, who are the average LTs in the league that Baker is worse than, and why?

I'm no big Baker guy, and I was okay letting him go or signing him, but his contract was about right considering what others are getting, and like it or not, he had a solid season last year. I just don't buy this whole below average chatter until someone backs it up...

I'm surprised how few people are penciling in Reynolds as our starting right guard next season. I don't know why we re-signed him at the price we did if it wasn't to be the #1 challenger to start again. He won the job last year with these coaches, and he actually looked pretty good until he got hurt.

I fully expect the offensive line to look like:

LT Baker

LG Blalock

C Konz

RG Reynolds

RT Clabo

We usually carry 3 backup offensive linemen, and those would be:

Holmes (swing tackle)

Hawley (can backup G or C)

Johnson (can backup G or T)

I'd love to have Svitek back as insurance as well, but if we carry a ninth offensive linemen this season, it's more likely to be a guard... someone like Manley or Gunn.

Yeah, they seem to be very high on Manley. I can't imagine they sacrifice him to keep another tackle.

Yeah, because we're going to find at least 5 new starters in the next two months. You serious dude?

first of all, please be open to the idea that we are quite possibly going to a 3-4. It just makes too much sense. Second, you are trying to be overly dramatic to prove a point. The Baker deal has got to be a teamfriendly one and he was solid last season. Blalock is solid as well and Konz was a rookie playing out of position. Give me a break
  • 7 months later...

I love when people find these old boards and show us how far off people were......this is killing me! i may crap myself from laughing so hard at these responses! lol they thought our line was solid! lol we were only one or two cheap defensive free agents away from having a good d line.....lol boy! thanks this just made my day