Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carter

Playstation 4 News And Updates

643 posts in this topic

The co-founder of Avalanche Studios, the developer behind the Just Cause franchise, says the PS4 is a perfect gaming machine for open world gaming and will out-power most PCs "for years to come."

Just Cause developer Avalanche Studios co-founder Linus Blomberg has spoken openly about his optimism for Sony's upcoming PlayStation 4, praising the hardware and saying it will "out-power most PCs for years to come."

“It’s always very exciting with a new console cycle, for a number of reasons,” said Blomberg in an interview with GamingBolt. “The consoles desperately need a boost since having been overtaken in terms of performance by PCs several years ago, and also losing market share to mobile platforms."

Speaking about Sony's intentions for the PlayStation 4, Blomberg said the device “will not only be a very powerful gaming machine from a hardware perspective, but it will also be a social tool and integrated marketplace more akin to the successful mobile devices."

"It’s the best of all worlds in a way; great performance for demanding high-end gaming, good social ecosystem and connectivity, and integrated business marketplace. For Avalanche Studios as an open-world games developer this is super exciting and opens up many new opportunities."

Avalanche Studios has been frequently teasing at least one upcoming title with enigmatic screenshots, with many speculating that the developer is gearing up to formally unveil Just Cause 3.

Blomberg thinks PlayStation 4 is the right match for Avalanche Studios. “It’s a perfect fit for the types of games we do, and we are confident that we’ll bring open-world gaming to a whole new level because of it. I’m glad Sony decided to go with 8gb RAM because it means that the PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come."

The PlayStation 4 is due to launch later in 2013.

Blomberg also speculates that Sony's decision to use off-the-shelf components “makes sense from a pricing and heating point of view, but it also means that Sony more easily can make incremental improvements of their system."

"If that’s actually their plan I don’t know, but it could help preventing the inevitable loss of market shares that the long console cycles entails.”

http://m.gamespot.com/news/just-cause-dev-says-ps4-will-out-power-most-pcs-for-years-to-come-6405102/

The co-founder of Avalanche Studios, the developer behind the Just Cause franchise, says the PS4 is a perfect gaming machine for open world gaming and will out-power most PCs "for years to come."

http://m.gamespot.co...o-come-6405102/

I'm not buying the out-powering most PC's for years to come part. I think any most PC gamers will have better hardware within a year.
tipp78 likes this

I'm not buying the out-powering most PC's for years to come part. I think any most PC gamers will have better hardware within a year.

Actually, most won't within a year. Most don't upgrade their gaming rigs that frequently and fewer upgrade to the latest and greatest. The PS4 has 8 GB of DDR5 RAM, a spec that will not be common on PCs anytime soon. High end gaming PCs will move beyond what the PS4 has within a year or two, but most don't have high end rigs.

Bear in mind also that Microsoft is said to be sticking with 8 GB of the older DDR3 RAM. Of course that could change... no one was expecting Sony to announce the 8 GB DDR5, either. It's next level technology and uncommon... which has led to much speculation on just how much of a hit Sony will be willing to take on the launch price. They could be willing to be aggressive though since MS is reportedly licensing BluRay (which Sony owns) to be standard in the new Xbox. Meaning every Xbox 720 made puts money in Sony's pocket.

PS4 will be on par with PC gaming for several years. Developers are very publicly drooling over the capabilities the PS4 has and it's not hard to find them talking about it. The presentation Sony put on really did not convey just how impressed developers are with it. PS4 will have far more dev support than PS3 did.

PS4 teaser reportedly most viewed YouTube video of February by more than 5 million views and it was available all of 8 days in the month.

Yeah no gaming console will ever out power a pc. Right now the current specs for the ps4 and rumored 720 is already outdated lol.

Yeah no gaming console will ever out power a pc. Right now the current specs for the ps4 and rumored 720 is already outdated lol.

Not really. And to be accurate he was talking about the GDDR5 RAM and the fact the PS4 has 8 GB of it. GDDR5 RAM isn't even close to being common... the top of the line cards have 4 GB of it or 2x 4 GB and are expensive. 512 MB of GDDR5 has the same graphics performance as 1 GB of DDR3. 4 GB of DDR3 is common for gaming rigs, 8 is preferred. New Xbox is rumored to have 8 GB of DDR3, which would put it on par with any high grade gaming PC right now. PS4 has 8 GB of GDDR5, which is only in the best video cards. That's why there is speculation on how much of a hit Sony is willing to take to ensure PS4 sells big early this go around.

Developers are blown away by this alone on the PS4. Have you even read that stuff?

Everything else specs-wise is somewhat vague, but most agree it is comparable to a PC rig now that can run just about everything on max settings. It will be a different story in 2-3 years, but the RAM on the PS4 ensures the games will definitely keep pace. The thing is compared to high end gaming rigs because it compares favorably. On raw power it won't best a PC, but it will hold its own and is definitely not outdated.

BioShock designer and industry veteran Ken Levine, yet another big developer heaping praise on the PS4.

I think this next generation will be amazing for gamers.

BioShock designer and Irrational Games cofounder Ken Levine likes what's he's seen so far of the PlayStation 4. Speaking to GameSpot, the industry veteran praised the platform's new PC-based architecture, saying the design is gamer-friendly.

"I have to sit back and think about the next-generation. Obviously, more memory, more power is always a good thing. I love the fact that Sony's architecture is now much more aligned with the architecture of the PCs and[…]I can't say about the Xbox, but I presume they're continuing in that direction," Levine said.

"That will make life a lot better for gamers because you won't have that sort of diversification of resources in the same way that you had to do to support the differences in the [current-generation platforms]," he added. "I don't mean Move vs. Kinect, I mean specifically the architecture underneath. So that's a positive."

Overall, Levine said he hasn't yet give much specific thought to how he might approach development for next-generation platforms. However, he did make clear that his ambition for greater detail will be an area the new, more powerful machines can help.

"I really haven't sat back and thought the particular features or what I would do with the additional power besides the obvious things: I like detail and more power gives you more detail. That's obvious," Levine said.

Levine noted that this increase in power will not be without its share of potential difficulties.

"I think you then start running into, at some point, an issue of can you produce the content to fill that detail? Because BioShock Infinite really strained our[…]we produced a lot of content if you look at that level of detail," he said. "So then you go beyond the systems; can we build an infrastructure internally to build enough content to fill out that space? And that's going to be another challenge."

http://m.gamespot.com/news/ken-levine-praises-playstation-4-6405715/

Quantic Dream, the studio behind Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, has already been working on their first PS4 game for a while. Founder David Cage went on record to say the game is their strongest concept for a title yet, which is saying a lot given their track record.

Beyond: Two Souls is slated for PS3 release on October 8th.

Can't wait for games open-world RPG's like elder scrolls or fallout on this new technology..

Yep. Witcher 3 should be amazing. CDPR is awesome about supporting their games and fixing bugs too.

From IGN, coverage from GDC where Sony hosted a "Developing for the PS4" session. As it is a developer focused event, much of the discussion was very technical... but Sony did talk on some things that were not brought up at the reveal in February.

Article: "Playstation 4: The Coolest Stuff You Probably Didn't Know" (includes some videos)

1. PSN Friends Limit is Increasing

Norton said at the beginning of the conference, “Core gamers are our primary audience.” PS4 is going to serve that group by increasing the number of PlayStation Network friends from the current cap of 100 to… well, Norton didn’t say. He just said it’ll be increased.

2. A Very Large Hard Drive In Every Console

Again, Norton didn’t offer specifics as to what the exact size of PS4 hard drives would be, but he stated there will be “a very large hard drive in every console.” Food for thought.

3. Buttons: They Are a Changin'

Back on the PS3, the D-pad and the face buttons of the DualShock were analog – meaning that they could sense pressure and change input based on it. Norton said that developers didn’t use that option, however, and the DualShock 4 ditches analog and replaces them with digital buttons. The touchpad resolution on the controller is 1920x900, and the L2/R2 buttons are curved to help avoid accidental Netflix fast forwarding.

4. PS4 Charges Controllers While It Sleeps

One of the biggest gripe about the PS3 is that when it’s in sleep mode, its USB ports are off. This means that you have to have the console on to charge controllers. With PS4, that will no longer be a problem. When it’s sleeping, the PS4 will charge DualShock 4s.

5. Headset In Every Box

The PlayStation Network is a quiet place right now. Why? Well, the PS3 didn’t bundle a mic with the console, so lots of players never grabbed one. The PS4 will put a headset in every box so that communication is easy.

6. PS4 Eye Will Enhance the PS4 User Experience

The PlayStation 4 Eye is well documented on IGN. Dual cameras, 1280x800 resolution, 12 bits/pixel, 60Hz, etc. However, it’s also going to have a dedicated port on the console with an exclusive SCE connector. This means two things: 1) The camera won’t eat up a USB port on the console. 2) The camera probably won’t work with other devices. No. 2 is what I, Greg Miller, think; Norton didn’t say that. However, Norton did list a bunch of potential uses: walkthrough videos, taunting in killcam, login, and speech recognition. Need more? Well, if you’re playing a split-screen game and switch places with your friend, the camera can read your controllers and flip the splitscreen so that you’re lined up better.

7. Your Real (PSN) Names

At the February debut, Sony showed the PlayStation 4 dialing into your social networks and then using your real name on the console. This, as predicted, is something you’ll need to enable. If enabled, when you import your friends from social networks, you’ll use your real name. You can decide which of your PlayStation only friends see your real name, too. If any.

8. Recording Is Mandatory

Norton spent a portion of his presentation making sure developers knew the PlayStation 4 does a lot of heavy lifting. Recording footage? Sharing content? That’s all on the console. The developers don’t have to put anything special in their code. It’s all built to do it on its own.

9. Remote Play Upgrades

Remote Play’s been around for a while, but it’s never been fantastic. With the PS4 and Vita, PlayStation’s looking to change that. When you connect via a local network or the Internet, the screens will be mirrored. That means unlike the PS3/Vita, one screen won’t be dead – they’ll both be showing the game. Plus, rather than have to enter into a separate mode, you can start Remote Play at any time on the PS4.

10. Colors > Numbers

The light bars on the DualShock 4 are going to identify players. We knew that. What you might not have known however, is that the color/player relationship is always the same. Player 1 will always be blue, Player 2 red, Player 3 green, and Player 4 pink. Plus, that light bar can be used to display muzzle flashes from your gun, health and so on.

Some more details on specs...

CPU

• 64-bit x86 architecture
  • Low power consumption
  • Low heat
  • 8 cores, HW threads
  • 2MiB L2-cache per 4 core group, 32kib I1 I/D-cache
  • PlayStation Shader Language
  • Similar to HLSL
  • Allows featured BEYOND DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.0

GPU

• Tessellation, adding geometric detail to smooth edges or create more organic shapes

RAM

• 8GB 256 bit GDDR5

Some very big stuff here for console hardware.

ATLBrave likes this

A good read on the development of the PS4 with veteran developer and lead architect, Mark Cerny.

Mark Cerny originally began to think about designing the PlayStation 4 in 2007. Over Thanksgiving weekend, a mere year after the PlayStation 3 was released, he began to read technical documents about the X86 processor -- the processor that ended up going into the system that was unveiled this past February, by Cerny, in New York City.

The fact that he spent so much of his personal time working on the question of just what hardware should go into the box made Cerny realize something important: "I probably have more passion about the next generation than anybody inside the Sony Computer Entertainment world."

With that in mind, he pitched his bosses on letting him lead the PlayStation 4 development efforts. To his surprise, he earned himself the role of lead system architect.

Though he began with the technology, "wanting to lead the effort wasn't based on any specific beliefs at that time -- other than that clearly we had had some issues with PlayStation 3, in that a very developer-centric approach to the design of the PlayStation 4 would just make things go more smoothly overall."

"The biggest thing was that we didn't want the hardware to be a puzzle that programmers would be needing to solve to make quality titles," says Cerny. He's referring here to the fact that the CELL processor, which powers the PlayStation 3, was extremely powerful by 2006 standards -- but also notoriously difficult to work with.

So in 2008, once he'd gotten the okay, Cerny began to canvass PlayStation 3 developers, asking them what they wanted from a theoretical next generation console -- yes, that early. "It's not like we could come out and say we were developing the next generation of hardware -- we certainly couldn't say that in 2008," Cerny recollects.

"My first tour of the developers, I had a questionnaire where I just asked them their thoughts on what the next generation might bring," he says. "The largest piece of feedback we got was that they wanted unified memory."

The PlayStation 4 will launch with an 8GB bank of GDDR5 RAM, which can be directly addressed by both the CPU and GPU of the system. Cerny is confident that this strategy brings flexibility and power to the console in both the near and long term.

The system also will ship with an eight-core CPU, another decision that came from the developer-questioning phase. "We quickly could tell that we should put either four or eight cores on the hardware," Cerny says. "The consensus was that any more than eight, and special techniques would be needed to use them, to get efficiency."

"It definitely was very helpful to have gone out and have done the outreach before sitting down to design the hardware," he says.

For all of its commercial shortcomings, the PlayStation Vita marks the first time the company put the software developer at the center of its hardware design efforts, something Cerny says paid off both directly on that system, and also in terms of laying the groundwork for the PS4's design.

"We took Vita as an opportunity to rework the tool chain and the development environment, and I think that you saw that the response from the development community [to those changes] was very good," says Cerny. "That meant that with PS4 we already had this philosophy in place -- that we wanted our tools to be much richer and much more accessible to our developers, even in the launch timeframe."

He didn't stop at game developers, either, he tells Gamasutra. "When I started talking to the development community, prominent middleware companies were in the mix at that time. It's very important to us to have those engines on our platform," Cerny says. "I have to say, also, the insights that you can get by talking to their top technology people -- It's quite nice to have those insights when doing the hardware design."

Throughout his conversation with Gamasutra -- which, in the end, lasted well over an hour -- the two threads that came through again and again were that Cerny wanted the console to be familiar enough that the barrier to entry for developers was very low, but at the same time, he wanted to be sure that the technical decisions he and his team made would ensure high performance over its entire lifespan.

In a forthcoming article, Gamasutra will share the many details of the PlayStation 4's architecture and design that came to light during this extensive and highly technical conversation.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/189368/Inside_the_PlayStation_4_with_Mark_Cerny.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)

Sony's lead architect on the PS4, Mark Cerny, comments on 4K gaming and why it's not a part of the PS4...

When Sony first announced the PlayStation 4, they revealed that the next-gen console will support 4K videos, but not 4K gaming. Now Sony’s Mark Cerny, the lead architect on the PlayStation 4 hardware, explains why 4K gaming isn’t feasible just yet.

Speaking to the Japanese press about the PlayStation 4 hardware, Cerny said that he’s “personally very interested in 4K”, but that the technology is still new and requires lots of horsepwer to run. Cerny explained in simple terms why there isn’t 4K gaming on the PlayStation 4:

“If we consider purely memory bandwidth, with 4K, securing 2 displays worth of display buffer requires 10GB/sec. That just for simply displaying. This is our simple answer for why we’re focusing on just the Full HD experience.”

By “full HD”, Cerny is talking about 1080p which PlayStation 4 games will support (what we’ve seen so far). There are only a handful of 4K television sets available, and they retail for many thousands of dollars. 4K gaming and 4K movies are still many years away, as other technology components need to catch up to the massive resolution of these displays.

Sony said last month that the PlayStation 4 will support 4K movie playback and downloads, but added that a 4K movie can easily top 100 GB in size.

http://ps4daily.com/...-playstation-4/

PCMag of all places is running a story citing a reliable source who tells them Sony is planning a more in-depth showing of the PS4 in late April or early May. Meaning we may get the goods on the PS4 just before E3.

Bold strategy considering this could leave the E3 buzz to Microsoft revealing the new Xbox should they not have the rumored reveal event this month.

Article: http://n4g.com/news/clickout/1225033

CD Projekt Red, the studio behind The Witcher games, recently said that porting The Witcher 3 to PS4 will be very easy. Also, that they didn't even consider bringing it to PS3 or 360 because those platforms are nowhere near capable of running the game as it's intended to be played.

Ubisoft also recently let out that the PS4 version of Thief will be nearly identical to PC.

This is exciting to read for me because both games are being developed first and foremost for PC and both should be simply outstanding games.

The PS4 giving us near carbon copies of the original content is a big win for both sides of the fence between PS4 and PC imo. Developers can concentrate on the game content and port without much hassle. PC gamers get a better product, as do PS4 gamers. No more compromising on quality just to make games work on console. At least for a while, until PC games exceed what PS4 is reasonably capable of... but that barrier should not be reached for some time, so we should see the overall quality of multi-platform games increase greatly.

I'd love to get a proper version of Far Cry 3 on PS4... I mean, they made it look good for PS3/360, but it just doesn't even compare to what even a decent PC rig does for that game. Loved Far Cry 3.

Michiel Van Der Leeuw, technical director at Geurilla Games - the development studio behind Killzone, has gone on record to say that there are no performance bottlenecks with the PS4.

This has been a concern about the system since details on much of the hardware specs were brought out. Van Der Leeuw says the PS4 has been so carefully designed that each piece of hardware efficiently works together.

The PlayStation 4 has been so carefully designed that developers won't find a performance bottleneck, Michiel Van Der Leeuw, technical director at Guerrilla Games, has told Edge.

"The fact that the best pieces of hardware are also devised from, or optimised versions of, the stuff we find in PCs doesn't make it any less a console," Van Der Leeuw explained. "A PC is a number of parts that also [have] bridges in-between, where there are inefficiencies that may [come in if they're not] exactly the right match."

But with the PS4, Sony has - allegedly - been able to ensure these inefficiencies don't exist.

Van Der Leeuw continued: "We've got the right amount of memory, video card; everything's balanced out. It was a very conscious effort to make sure that – with the speed of the memory, the amount of compute units, the speed of the hard drive – there would not be any bottlenecks.

"I think it was for more than a year that we knew the main ingredients and there was just discussion after discussion trying to find a bottleneck. Take a look at this design; try to find the bottleneck."

PlayStation 4 is expected to launch later this year, with Killzone: Shadow Fall expected to be a launch title.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/killzone_shadow_fall/news/ps4_has_no_performance_bottlenecks_claims_killzone_developer.html

PCMag of all places is running a story citing a reliable source who tells them Sony is planning a more in-depth showing of the PS4 in late April or early May. Meaning we may get the goods on the PS4 just before E3.

Bold strategy considering this could leave the E3 buzz to Microsoft revealing the new Xbox should they not have the rumored reveal event this month.

Article: http://n4g.com/news/clickout/1225033

Actually that's brilliant marketing imo. That will give the public two events for the PS4. That puts Microsoft under the microscope. The expectations will be through the roof, whereas Sony will just have to give the icing on the cake.

Actually that's brilliant marketing imo. That will give the public two events for the PS4. That puts Microsoft under the microscope. The expectations will be through the roof, whereas Sony will just have to give the icing on the cake.

True. MS has already kinda painted themselves into a corner though. The gaming world is split... folks either waiting on them to reveal details or don't even care anymore because of the rumors + Adam Orth's comments.

If MS confirms always-on, most of their current Xbox users are not going to reup with the 720. Some will, but a $500 Xbox 720 (or $300 subscription based model) that requires an always active internet connection plus XBL is going to cut off a portion of the users by default and then countless more who just won't get one because of it.

Perception has been mostly positive for PS4 and mostly negative for the 720. We'll know if reality matches perception soon enough. MS has their work cut out for them though. They got lucky in North America imo that Sony stumbled the way they did early on with PS3. If Sony comes out as strong as they look with PS4, it could be PS2 type domination over the original Xbox again.

True. MS has already kinda painted themselves into a corner though. The gaming world is split... folks either waiting on them to reveal details or don't even care anymore because of the rumors + Adam Orth's comments.

If MS confirms always-on, most of their current Xbox users are not going to reup with the 720. Some will, but a $500 Xbox 720 (or $300 subscription based model) that requires an always active internet connection plus XBL is going to cut off a portion of the users by default and then countless more who just won't get one because of it.

Perception has been mostly positive for PS4 and mostly negative for the 720. We'll know if reality matches perception soon enough. MS has their work cut out for them though. They got lucky in North America imo that Sony stumbled the way they did early on with PS3. If Sony comes out as strong as they look with PS4, it could be PS2 type domination over the original Xbox again.

I could see that, and the responses I'm getting from my customer base they're starting to shift that way already. The problem with the "always-on" model is the lack of choice. It's funny because most people are going to want to be online, most people are connected in their homes as it is, but the idea that the choice is removed is no good. Sony is going to have the lead from the start, it all depends on what they do with releases imo.

I could see that, and the responses I'm getting from my customer base they're starting to shift that way already. The problem with the "always-on" model is the lack of choice. It's funny because most people are going to want to be online, most people are connected in their homes as it is, but the idea that the choice is removed is no good. Sony is going to have the lead from the start, it all depends on what they do with releases imo.

I agree, I have zero interest in always online. Zero. Honestly I am very excited as a gamer for the PS4. It looks like a true gamer's console, with the focus on games from start to finish in building it (with a lot more support than Wii U as well). Sony stating they don't just want big budget shooters, they want games like Crash Bandicoot again. I mean don't get me wrong, I enjoy using Netflix and Hulu (especially for my kids), but that is purely a bonus for me and my console is not the center of the living room... it's my machine for playing games.

Admittedly, a lot of my excitement comes from what we could term "the hype." Developers across the board are in love with this thing and that really gets my gamer juices flowing. Games like The Witcher 3, which should be a GOTY candidate easily. The developer, CD Projekt Red, are utterly focused on delivering quality to the gamer... they are a PC developer and they love PS4 big time.

It's just very exciting to see this progression as a gamer. I just want great games and it feels like the PS4 will enable that to a high degree.

I'm interested to see the details on the new Xbox, but it has to be offline playable and support used games or I won't buy it.