Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carter

Playstation 4 News And Updates

643 posts in this topic

Ok, making this thread because that announcement thread was for the event and it's good to have a nice central thread for relevant info. Now we can have two threads for the Xbox and PS4 updates, for those who don't want to go around checking the gaming sites for news.

Anyway...

Sony has released nine images of the PS4 interface showing off some details of how it's going to work.

http://m.gamespot.com/news/playstation-4-interface-shown-off-in-new-screenshots-6404619/

Hideo Kojima, the man behind Metal Gear Solid, talks PS4...

Although he didn’t watch Sony’s press conference, he was interested in the direction the PS4 is taking. And that enthusiasm stemmed less from the hardware specs and more from the increased functionality of the new console.

“I can say that with every new generation of hardware the capabilities of the hardware increases. But up to this point it’s always been very much of a vertical evolution – of course, you expect things like visual fidelity, audio, frame rate. New features such as 3D capability, etc, etc. These things are a given. They come with the new hardware.

“But what I’m really more interested in is other ways of expanding into the next generation – a more horizontal expansion, where you’re going to be doing things online, more of a social aspect. People will be able to interact with the game through various devices, through various media – such as tablets, smart phones, etc.”

And these kind of gameplay experiences could find there way into future Metal Gear titles. “I think it’s this new type of interaction – this new way of interacting with the game world – that’s more exciting to me. And I want to bring the Metal Gear franchise into that new wider world of interaction.”

Can we expect this kind of functionality in Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes? Kojima has previously said that the game's Peace Walker-like base management would be ideal for smartphones, and that some kind of integration is planned.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/02/28/hideo-kojima-talks-ps4-more-excited-by-new-kinds-of-interaction-than-hardware

PlaystationPlus to play a "prominent role" in the PS4 landscape, though Sony isn't talking details at this time. They have said they are considering multiple subscription levels but nothing has been confirmed or announced.

PS3 will continue to be "very important" through the next 2-3 years, so those who aren't ready for the PS4 will still be very well supported over the next few years.

http://m.gamespot.com/news/playstation-plus-will-have-prominent-role-on-ps4-6404683/

I don't see them making PS Plus mandatory for access. They want to have it tiered to generate money from the cloud streaming stuff and encourage digital sales through discounts and freebies, which puts money back into the developers instead of retailers.

Not everyone has a need for that though.... I'd say most just want to buy a game on disc and be able to play online if they want. Disrupting the basic principle of free online seems unrealistic, but I think we'll see PS Plus become more compelling to buy with stuff they can do on PS4.

I still have all my old systems. Backward compatibility doesn't really matter to me. All the people crying about need to stfu and realize 99% of the market doesn't buy new consoles to play old games.

Playstation switching to X86 is a very smart move by Sony. Cheaper, more flexible, and a lot easier for developers to make great games on than with the proprietary stuff they did with PS2 and PS3. Also has a silver lining in that if they stick with it, the PS5 should natively run every single PS4 game without any special hardware needed.

Since the ps4 should be easier to create for, I better not hear Bethesda complain.

Yeah... the only thing about that is they make the game worlds so big that it becomes impossible to make it completely bug free.

With The Witcher 3 being an open world RPG, I will be very interested to see how buttoned down they get it for release. It already looks awesome and we haven't even been shown shots from the final rendering engine. The good thing about CD Projekt RED though is they are amazing with their follow-up support... Bethesda could take some notes.

It seems like a very real possibility that the PS4 could launch with the best launch/holiday lineup Sony has ever had. And we haven't even been shown much, either.

Destiny

Watch Dogs

DriveClub

inFAMOUS: Second Son

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Knack

The Witness

All games that I genuinely want to play and not even everything that will be out. Knack might be the only "ehh" one that I'm not really big on, but it looks interesting at least. E3 should be awesome this year.

Yeah... the only thing about that is they make the game worlds so big that it becomes impossible to make it completely bug free.

With The Witcher 3 being an open world RPG, I will be very interested to see how buttoned down they get it for release. It already looks awesome and we haven't even been shown shots from the final rendering engine. The good thing about CD Projekt RED though is they are amazing with their follow-up support... Bethesda could take some notes.

There will never be a game that's bugged free but Beth has the worth glitches in their games though.

I still have all my old systems. Backward compatibility doesn't really matter to me. All the people crying about need to stfu and realize 99% of the market doesn't buy new consoles to play old games.

False statistic. I know many people that would enjoy backwards compatibility, including myself.

False statistic. I know many people that would enjoy backwards compatibility, including myself.

I don't have a link but not too long ago I was reading an article that talked about how Sony and MS track the way people make use of their consoles. Backward compatibility was the least used feature by far on systems with that feature. Cliff Bleszinski even talked about it recently on his blog, blasting people who are so vocal about no backward compatibility with the reality that they are in a very small minority.

I just wish folks would realize they can't have it both ways. The PS4 will likely be affordable because it ISN'T backwards compatible. The cutting edge 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM they are using is the only pricey piece of the package. Switching to X86 makes the console cheaper, more attractive to developers, and more viable as a product in today's market. Making PS4 backward compatible would be complicated and expensive... and it's just not that important of a feature.

I've seen some people say they would pay up to $200 extra for backward compatibility on PS4. I find that absurd. You already have a PS3... why would you want to spend $600-700+ just to still play the same games?

I don't have a link but not too long ago I was reading an article that talked about how Sony and MS track the way people make use of their consoles. Backward compatibility was the least used feature by far on systems with that feature. Cliff Bleszinski even talked about it recently on his blog, blasting people who are so vocal about no backward compatibility with the reality that they are in a very small minority.

I just wish folks would realize they can't have it both ways. The PS4 will likely be affordable because it ISN'T backwards compatible. The cutting edge 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM they are using is the only pricey piece of the package. Switching to X86 makes the console cheaper, more attractive to developers, and more viable as a product in today's market. Making PS4 backward compatible would be complicated and expensive... and it's just not that important of a feature.

I've seen some people say they would pay up to $200 extra for backward compatibility on PS4. I find that absurd. You already have a PS3... why would you want to spend $600-700+ just to still play the same games?

i enjoy the classics... How could Sony possibly track backwards compatibility? They had one version that was 95% backwards compatible, and that was during the early release days.

The only reason they aren't adding backwards compatibility is so they can re-release the game in the future in the ps store. It's greed. Nothing else. They want people to continue to buy new releases.

i enjoy the classics... How could Sony possibly track backwards compatibility? They had one version that was 95% backwards compatible, and that was during the early release days.

The only reason they aren't adding backwards compatibility is so they can re-release the game in the future in the ps store. It's greed. Nothing else. They want people to continue to buy new releases.

Virtually every company that makes internet ready devices is tracking how people use them so they can further develop things people actually want to use. The only way to avoid it is to never connect to the intarwebs.

For the PS4 to natively run PS3 games it would require the same processor or an advancement of that same processor engineering that is in the PS3, plus OS engineering to properly handle the coding. Said processor is incompatible with what is in the PS4, so it would have to come with two separate processors. That is what made the PS3 so expensive to begin with. Sony took it out because nobody used it and it made the PS3 too expensive to price cut without losing too much money per unit. People didn't start buying PS3's until it couldn't play PS2 games.

Never mind the fact that zero developers wanted Sony to continue over-engineering gaming consoles and zero devs care about backward compatibility. Selling old games is a business model that only works for GameStop. Sony went a smart and simpler route by using common parts that developers can easily use and Sony can manufacture far cheaper.

It's not greed, it's foresight. Should Sony cater to a small percentage of people who might want to finish up their PS3 backlog on a PS4... or should they cater to the community in whole that wants new games that are bigger, better, and prettier that developers can make for significantly less money?

Looks like saves for The Walking Dead on PS3 will carry over to future installments on PS4. Telltale is working closely with Sony to make it happen.

PhysX is not dependent on nvidia hardware. A few PS3 games use it, but it's not an integral part of the dev tools used for PS3. PS4 is looking like it will have major support from developers. Me likey.

I think there is likely to be a basic package with just the PS4 and everything it comes with... and a PS4/Vita bundle. As much as Sony wants to incorporate the Vita to have integrated uses with the PS4, I think it's an obvious move to bundle them at a reduced price.

I think there is likely to be a basic package with just the PS4 and everything it comes with... and a PS4/Vita bundle. As much as Sony wants to incorporate the Vita to have integrated uses with the PS4, I think it's an obvious move to bundle them at a reduced price.

Are you thinking something similar to the WiiU?

Are you thinking something similar to the WiiU?

Not so much like Wii U with the game pad. I don't think the Vita will be an alternate PS4 controller... but with them talking about streaming games from a connected PS4 to a linked Vita, it seems like they have plans for taking advantage of the capabilities.

The PS Vita is a true portable gaming device, the Wii U game pad is just a controller with a touchscreen and it has very limited use away from the Wii U. So I think there are similarities maybe in some functionality but differences in the full capability.

They may not bundle them, it was just a thought I had since there was the rumor of $429 and $529 price points at launch. PS Vita sales spiked after they cut the price in Japan. Seems if they want it to be a viable portable with next gen integration, they should make it compelling to more than just Sony fanboys.