Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carter

Xbox One News & Updates

437 posts in this topic

They couldn't come up with a better title than Titan? lol.

It's not the confirmed title but Respawn got "Titan" trademarked in several copyright areas concerning games. They haven't revealed details about the game.

I agree it sounds a little lame, but we'll see what it's all about before long.

rC8kcO7.png

BGNJArdCcAAvO4D1-300x191.jpg

I'm hearing that the next Xbox will be named Xbox infinity. IDK.

It's not the confirmed title but Respawn got "Titan" trademarked in several copyright areas concerning games. They haven't revealed details about the game.

I agree it sounds a little lame, but we'll see what it's all about before long.

I'll just wait and see what the game is all about, Microsoft needs more Exclusives.

Newest rumor is that the next xbox will not be launched before 2014 because Sony holds exclusive rights for a bluray drive in a gaming console since Sony acquired the rights in 2004 for 10 years. Obviously MS can not release the new xbox without a bluray drive since they want to release what they call an entertainment system.

If Sony releases the PS4 in time for xmas 2013 and MS can´t, that would be a huge blow for MS.

Newest rumor is that the next xbox will not be launched before 2014 because Sony holds exclusive rights for a bluray drive in a gaming console since Sony acquired the rights in 2004 for 10 years. Obviously MS can not release the new xbox without a bluray drive since they want to release what they call an entertainment system.

If Sony releases the PS4 in time for xmas 2013 and MS can´t, that would be a huge blow for MS.

I have a hard time buying that. If Sony held exclusive rights to Bluray technology in console devices, we would have already known about it.

I can buy that the new Xbox may not launch until 2014, but I kinda doubt it. With as much steam as PS4 is building, I think MS would rather have a sketchy launch than allow Sony to only have to battle Wii U for sales. There are already reports indicating that MS first party studios are struggling big time to get software ready and their first party launch window lineup is shaping up horribly, which is likely why MS has supposedly dumped a boatload of cash on Activision and EA to carry some timed exclusive content on with the new Xbox in regard to COD and Battlefield.

I have a hard time buying that. If Sony held exclusive rights to Bluray technology in console devices, we would have already known about it.

I can buy that the new Xbox may not launch until 2014, but I kinda doubt it. With as much steam as PS4 is building, I think MS would rather have a sketchy launch than allow Sony to only have to battle Wii U for sales. There are already reports indicating that MS first party studios are struggling big time to get software ready and their first party launch window lineup is shaping up horribly, which is likely why MS has supposedly dumped a boatload of cash on Activision and EA to carry some timed exclusive content on with the new Xbox in regard to COD and Battlefield.

Microsoft would have to pay licensing fees which will only throw money directly into sonys pockets as it stands right now

If the new Xbox doesn't launch until 2014 than we can officially put a fork in it. All these other things plus a late arrival?

That thing is going to be DOA

http://kotaku.com/re...fline-493136979

lol trying to save face now it seems.

still doesn't matter as you have to pay to play online.

sony seems to have stepped up their online service.. and will have feature XBL has now (voice chat ect) for free.

edit: wait a second.. i re-read it.. seems to play single player doesnt need online.. while installing/verifying it does.

it's the same dam thing microsh*t.

kane#7 likes this

Called it. Microsoft backpedaled faster than dunta. I bet that 2014 date is because they had to change the system from always on. Coming in late in the game>>>> consoles not selling because lack of internet connection. That backlash was too great, even for microsoft. I do not think even apple and their whole " we tell you want you want" philosophy could handle it.

ya_boi_j likes this

http://kotaku.com/re...fline-493136979

lol trying to save face now it seems.

still doesn't matter as you have to pay to play online.

sony seems to have stepped up their online service.. and will have feature XBL has now (voice chat ect) for free.

edit: wait a second.. i re-read it.. seems to play single player doesnt need online.. while installing/verifying it does.

it's the same dam thing microsh*t.

Honestly if Playstation are smart (which history shows they are) they will win this war through the online/ offline balance.... which if all reports are true Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot.

However the delayed release will be the final nail.

Also I recently learnt about how the original Playstation came into existence, so Microsoft should learn from Ninetendo and not underestimate what the users really want....good games.

Called it. Microsoft backpedaled faster than dunta. I bet that 2014 date is because they had to change the system from always on. Coming in late in the game>>>> consoles not selling because lack of internet connection. That backlash was too great, even for microsoft. I do not think even apple and their whole " we tell you want you want" philosophy could handle it.

even if they do take the online always out.. they need to take out the be online to install/verify the copy is legit.. since every game must be installed to the HDD.. it won't read the game off the disc.

even if they do take the online always out.. they need to take out the be online to install/verify the copy is legit.. since every game must be installed to the HDD.. it won't read the game off the disc.

Yep also the idea that everyone will buy a device that you have to pay for an online subscription should be taken into account.

360 worked because of the early release date so everyone's friends had a 360 so paying for online was a nessecary evil, however if they do it again and people already have a ps4 because of the release date rumour then that will be an easy desicion to make.

Microsoft clarifies the internet connection requirement.

The Xbox One is "fundamentally designed to be expanded and extended by the Internet as many devices are today," says Microsoft's Phil Harrison.

Xbox One requires an Internet connection and needs to check-in with the Xbox servers in order to continue functioning, Microsoft has clarified.

Microsoft's official line on the Xbox One is that it requires the Internet, but does not require a constant connection.

In an interview with Kotaku, Microsoft executive Phil Harrison attempted to clarify the position. The Xbox One "requires, at some point in the beginning and at various times through its on state, to connect to our cloud and to our Internet. That is to deliver Xbox Live functionality, that is to deliver download content to you, that is to deliver some of the innovations around TV and entertainment that we showed today."

Harrison added that the Xbox One's need to connect to its servers "depends on the experience."

"For single-player games that don’t require connectivity to Xbox Live, you should be able to play those without interruption should your Internet connection go down. Blu-ray movies and other downloaded entertainment should be accessible when your Internet connection may be interrupted. But the device is fundamentally designed to be expanded and extended by the Internet as many devices are today."

But when asked how long players can go between having to check-in online with a single-player game, Harrison said "I believe it's 24 hours."

In another interview with Polygon, however, a Microsoft representative explained Harrison's 24-hour claim as a "potential scenario" for the upcoming next-gen console. "While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," said Microsoft.

"There have been reports of a specific time period--those were discussions of potential scenarios, but we have not confirmed any details today, nor will we be."

Speaking yesterday, Microsoft president Don Mattrick reiterated that players don't need to be always connected to play games on Xbox One. "No, you don't always have to be connected," he said. "Gamers can calm down; we've got you covered."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-games-will-need-to-check-in-online-possibly-once-a-day-6408714/

Microsoft has announced that we can expect a big announcement for a new Rare game will take place at E3.

Killer Instinct 3 or stfu.

Microsoft has suggested its iconic studio Rare could be working on a new Xbox One game based on one of its classic franchises.

Microsoft Studios executive Phil Spencer told Polygon during the announcement of its next-generation Xbox One that "fans of Rare and Rare IP I think will be pleased with what we're going to show at E3,"

Xbox One will see 15 exclusives within its first year on sale, and 8 new IPs--some of which Microsoft intends to show off at E3 2013 in June.

Spencer said that Rare remains important to Microsoft. "We had a limited amount of time today and a lot of story to tell. But Rare remains an incredibly important part of our development capability."

"That historic IP that they've built I think can play a real important role on Xbox One," added Spencer, though gave no clues as to what IP he was referring to.

Microsoft last year announced that it has renewed the Killer Instinct trademark, the fighting series that saw its last installment in 1996 on the Nintendo 64. The trademark was later denied by the United States Patent & Trademark Office on account of possible confusion with the short-lived Fox TV show of the same name.

As for Rare's more immediate history, the developer released Perfect Dark Zero as a launch title for the Xbox 360, but the series has not continued outside of an 2010 XBLA version of the original Perfect Dark. The company also launched the Kinect Sports and Viva Pinata franchises on Xbox 360, as well as Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

For more information on Microsoft's recently announced next-gen console, check out GameSpot's Xbox One hub.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-hints-at-an-important-role-for-rare-ip-on-xbox-one-6408721/

Microsoft has confirmed that their Xbox Live Arcade policy remains unchanged. Indie devs will have to make a deal with MS or another publisher to have their game available on Xbox One's XBLA. Sony and Nintendo both are allowing indie devs to self publish their games for PS3/PS4 and Wii U.

Independent developers wishing to get games on Xbox One's Xbox Live Arcade will still be unable to self-publish, it has been announced.

As it currently stands, indie devs must get a publishing deal with either Microsoft Games Studios or a third-party publisher to get their games on XBLA. The exception to this is titles that opt to release on Xbox Live Indie Games, though this has more financial drawbacks for developers than the more lucrative Arcade section.

There was some speculation following Sony's commitment to independent developers with the PS4 that Microsoft would make things easier for everyone to get games on its console, but it seems this won't be the case.

The company's general manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms Matt Booty told Shacknews, "We intend to continue to court developers in the ways that we have."

He did suggest this could change in the future though, adding, "I would also expect that for this new generation, that we're going to continue to explore new business models and new ways of surfacing content. But Microsoft Studios is a publisher that works with a wide range of partners, as do a lot of other people, to bring digital content to the box."

Both Sony and Nintendo allow indie devs to self-publish through PSN and eShop, respectively.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/indie-devs-cant-self-publish-on-xbox-one

In addition to no backward compatibility, Xbox Live Arcade games that gamers have purchased on 360 will not carry over to Xbox One.

Gamers hoping to bring their library of Xbox Live Arcade games with them to the Xbox One are out of luck. Microsoft has confirmed that these games will not carry over to the next-generation platform.

"Those games will continue to run on your Xbox 360 for as long as your Xbox 360 runs," Microsoft Game Studios VP Phil Spencer told GameSpot. "The box is not backward compatible and we think for somebody who invests in a large digital library that you want to keep your [Xbox 360]. Keep that as a vibrant part of the ecosystem."

Continuing to play on an Xbox 360 while others are on Xbox One won't be an alienating experience, Spencer said, because friends lists and achievements will remain constant between both platforms.

"That's why we've made sure that your identity, your friends, are constant between both platforms. You don't have a separate identity on Xbox one or [Xbox 360]; it's the same, you are you," Spencer said. "My friend's network is the same on both boxes, my achievements are the same. So we think that service component is an important component to keep constant across both devices."

The Xbox One not only does not support XBLA titles, but it will not be backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games.

Check out GameSpot's full Xbox One conversation with Spencer for more on used games, the platform's Internet requirements, and new business models.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbla-games-wont-carry-over-to-xbox-one-6408732/

Hearing a lot I don't agree with, but I might have to buy anyway for Forza. And if killer instinct is announced as exclusive then I am buying one, no questions asked.

Independent developer Curve has now stated that they will not be supporting Xbox One and will instead be developing games for PS Vita and PS4. More indie devs are expected to follow suit in an official capacity.