Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carter

Xbox One News & Updates

437 posts in this topic

What is there in online gaming to improve on 360? PS3 does have some room for improvement there. But the graphic improvements look marginal from the PS4 presser.

360 and PS3 were both obvious jumps when they were unveiled as far as graphics.

You seriously think online gaming can't get any better on console??? Online gaming is limited by the capabilities of the hardware. Have you played PC games online? There is a night and day difference just in scale alone, not to mention performance. Look at Battlefield 3 and how gimped the console version is. Online gaming probably has the most room for improvement.

The graphics on what they showed was marginally better, but that's pretty ignorant to base your entire opinion on that. They showed a very small early sample size offering. All we have seen of Watch Dogs is next gen footage... they haven't shown what it looks like on PS3/360 yet. Developers are talking about applying techniques to real time graphics that were previously reserved strictly for CG sequences.

I think I'll trust the fact the specs are huge compared to current gen and the fact that the overwhelming majority of developers are hugely excited over message board cynicism.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have to be online just to play games, I also wouldn't be surprised that you would need xbox live gold just to play your games too.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have to be online just to play games, I also wouldn't be surprised that you would need xbox live gold just to play your games too.

Well if the rumors are true, that's what Microsoft will have in place. Seems very strange to me that they would do this with all the negative reaction to it and Sony going with no connection required, but I think publishers are behind it big time.

Well if the rumors are true, that's what Microsoft will have in place. Seems very strange to me that they would do this with all the negative reaction to it and Sony going with no connection required, but I think publishers are behind it big time.

If Microsoft makes the next console online only, sales for the next xbox will be very bad.

If Microsoft makes the next console online only, sales for the next xbox will be very bad.

I agree... if Microsoft reveals the new Xbox and these rumors prove to be true at all, they won't be steering the course of console gaming as some writers have been suggesting... they will just fade into the background. Core gamers are not going to want it.

I agree... if Microsoft reveals the new Xbox and these rumors prove to be true at all, they won't be steering the course of console gaming as some writers have been suggesting... they will just fade into the background. Core gamers are not going to want it.

With all these rumors coming from different places, fact or fiction... it seems they may have some weight to it. I guess we'll find out in the Microsoft reveal.

More sources spilling always-online information...

I have to admit the consistent flow of rumors on this stuff for the new Xbox is dampening my enthusiasm for the system.

No console has ever required an Internet connection to function, but that may change.

A new report claims Microsoft's still-unannounced next-generation platform will require an Internet connection to boot up. A source speaking to Kotaku explained that if the system goes offline for more than three minutes, any game or app that is running will be suspended.

"Unless something has changed recently, Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used," the source said.

Microsoft's next-generation platform is reportedly going by the name Durango.

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source added. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

This new report tallies with another from February, when a tipster claimed that not only would the Xbox 720 require an Internet connection to function, but that an updated version of Xbox Live will be an "integral" component of Microsoft's new platform. A report from April 2012 claimed the Xbox 720's always-online requirement was an effort to combat piracy.

No mention was made concerning why Microsoft may be electing to mandate an Internet connection with its new platform. Past reports suggest the platform will block second-hand games, though this is not confirmed.

The Xbox 720 will also reportedly require a Kinect unit to function.

Microsoft is rumored to have its next-generation platform on store shelves this holiday season. Though the company has yet to reveal its official plans, Microsoft is rumored to announce the Xbox 720 in May.

http://m.gamespot.com/news/xbox-720-requires-internet-connection-to-load-games-6406433/

well the sales are atleast crippled.. alot of people don't have internet. some just don't need it to play single player games.

guess they'll be going PS4 this generation for console

Yeah, that is pretty messed up. I don't understand the need to agitate their fan base.

not gonna lie. I have been loyal to Microsoft since day one bit this type of attitude and the always online garbage is making me trend over to Sony. I was gonna get a ps4 already, mainly because it drops this year but Microsoft won't be getting any more of my money after I get my ps4

Very credible Microsoft insider Paul Thurrott has outed some details on the new Xbox - and he says "it is confirmed" that the console will require an internet connection. He also says it is confirmed that the system will stop working if a connection is out for 3 minutes.

He describes the system as "expensive."

Noted Windows blogger Paul Thurrott has claimed during the latest What The Tech episode (via NeoGAF) that the Xbox 720 will launch in November beginning at $300 for a subscription-based model. A standard model will sell for around $500, he said.

He described the platform overall as "expensive."

The Xbox 720 won't be the only new Xbox on shelves this season, Thurrott claimed. The writer said Microsoft is planning a $99 "Stingray" Xbox 360. He did not provide any further information about this platform.

Thurrott also shared information about the Xbox 720's reported always-online requirement. He said this a confirmed feature for the platform, claiming the system's notes specifically state that the Xbox 720 "must be Internet-connected to use."

The Xbox 720 reportedly stops functioning if an Internet connection drops for three minutes.

As for when the Xbox 720 could be announced, Thurrott said Microsoft is planning a reveal event on May 21. This matches up with an recent analyst report suggesting Microsoft was readying a reveal next month.

The blogger added that Microsoft will share further information about the Xbox 720 during two June events: the Electronic Entertainment Expo and the Build 2013 developer conference.

Thurrott further claimed that Microsoft was working on an entertainment-focused Xbox that would not play games. He said this device was called "Yumo," and speculated that Microsoft decided not to pursue this so as not to confuse the market.

A Microsoft representative was not immediately available to comment.

Thurrott is a noted Microsoft insider and runs Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows.

http://m.gamespot.com/news/subscription-based-xbox-720-priced-at-300-with-500-standard-model-6406544/

It is going to be so epic when Microsoft announces this crap and gets booed off the stage. Even more epic than the Saturn fail. Hate to see it but it will be funny.

Just crazy how turned around things already seem. Of course MS could announce that all this stuff is untrue and the next gen race will become very interesting again. As it stands now though, I've seen countless 360 gamers (including several good friends) who are planning to get a PS4 based on these reports and rumors about the new Xbox... not to mention Adam Orth's pompous comments.

IM CRYING @ the gif GP posted. especially the shot at the Wii-U.

I think microsoft has not announced the next xbox, because of the backlash the whole "always on" has gotten.