Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carter

Xbox One News & Updates

437 posts in this topic

Not gonna lie, didn't expect much but turns out I've been playing this game for hours

It's pretty nice to get surprised by a game like that. Same thing happened to me with Super Stardust HD on PS3... fairly simple game but it's just crazy good.

Microsoft has announced that they will be holding a one hour press conference at Gamescom in August. It will be the first time MS has held one at the event. There are no other details right now.

Sources have said that the intention of the press conference is to reiterate the core message of Xbox One.

lol because sony has announced they'll be showing off ALL exclusives. we only saw a handful at E3. and they'll be telling us release date

lol because sony has announced they'll be showing off ALL exclusives. we only saw a handful at E3. and they'll be telling us release date

Microsoft skipped Gamescom completely last year. They know they are losing in Europe big time to PS4. Even in the UK, which has been the only strong market they've had in Europe.

Microsoft skipped Gamescom completely last year. They know they are losing in Europe big time to PS4. Even in the UK, which has been the only strong market they've had in Europe.

it wont help really, europe have always preferred sony to them history shows this

Xbox One designed with ads integrated into the experience.

The Xbox One and its dashboard user interface were built with advertising in mind, key members of Microsoft’s UK Xbox Live Advertising team have told website StickTwiddlers on a recent visit to the company’s headquarters.

A two-hour discussion with the senior digital art director/user experience designer and technical account manager for Xbox Live advertising revealed that all advertising created for the platform must work with both a standard Xbox controller and the console’s mandatory Kinect camera system.

“With the new Xbox One, the technology and Kinect has improved a lot,” said the technical account manager for Xbox Live Advertising, “so that actually, the voice recognition, the way you speak to your Xbox, and the transition between gaming and watching TV is a lot smoother, and hopefully we can transpire that into advertising that we do.

“Xbox is moving more outside of the bedroom. We’re seeing much, much more people use it in living rooms where there is family, friends, there is lots going on, so there is a context of perceiving the content,” the senior digital art director/use experience designer said. “It’s not like when you’re at work, when you sit in front of a screen and your experience is very personal. But with Xbox, it’s lots of people in front of one big screen. They are playing or watching together, and advertising is being consumed in a totally different way.”

Microsoft hopes that the inclusion of Kinect with every Xbox One system will allow the company to better serve contextually relevant ads, and that integrating advertising material within content will make it less jarring.

“On Xbox, the ad is part of the actual experience, it’s not something that is outside. The only difference is that the advertisement we have is quite small and not disruptive, so people are not aware of clicking on the banners because they know this is a part of the whole experience on the dash,” the senior digital art director revealed. “So the users know that this is something that when they click on it, they won’t be hit by something crazy or something dangerous like on the web. Everything that lands there, we create."

Microsoft's advertising team believes the upcoming Xbox One will allow advertising to evolve in line with the platform's gaming content.

“It’s going to be an exciting transition, though, because the 360 console wasn't built with advertising in mind, it was more of an afterthought, so we've had to adapt to the technology and how we work to fit them in to the console,” said the Xbox Live advertising technical account manager.

Users concerned that the Xbox One and its Kinect camera may be collecting personal, identifying, or biometric information from the system should not be concerned, the team said.

“This sort of works at two levels. There’s the game producers, who have a different API, so a different set of code and system that they use, and they've got a lot more control of the whole thing,” the developer commented, “whereas from the advertising point of view, we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse, so we can’t do certain things.”

Originally likened to a “monitoring device” by Germany's federal data protection commissioner, Microsoft has attempted to allay consumer fears that its new home console will spy on its users. The company recently released official information on how the Kinect camera can be paused, which personal data the system will collect, and how it will be shared with third parties.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-created-with-advertising-in-mind-6411083

i always facepalm'd at microshit making people pay for online then putting ADs on the interface.

Now they won't just be only on the dashboard.

An insight to the inept business decisions that have been made inside the Xbox wing of Microsoft the past few years: Don Mattrick tried to get Microsoft to buy Zynga. This amidst talk of insider trading, declining stock value at Zynga.

He recently left Microsoft to become CEO at Zynga, who have been laying off employees and closing offices in response to significant losses. Mattrick is set to make $19 million in his first year and $40 million over the 3 years of his contract.

My opinion: Xbox One may actually grow into something great now that this idiot is gone.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/don-mattrick-tried-to-get-microsoft-to-buy-zynga-report-6411113

http://www.vg247.com...er-ps4-analyst/

This could be huge, the initial adopters of a console will determine who wins the sales war. If there aren't enough PS4s on the shelves this holiday season, Microsoft will take the first battle.

I'm calling that bogus. Every shred of evidence has indicated that Sony is manufacturing far more PS4's than MS is able to do with XB1. This is literally the -only- person saying MS is producing more units for the launch window.

PS4 presales are estimated to outnumber XB1 presales by as much as 4 to 1 at many retailers. That alone is tangible evidence to contradict whatever "supply checks" he mentions. If retailers reopen XB1 preorders, I might believe there is a shred of credibility to this. As it stands, retailers have taken on far more guaranteed PS4 reservations; which alone is concrete evidence to the contrary of what this analyst says.

So..Microsoft is going to put out more units on a product that they've been working on for less time than Sony has on the PS4? I'm calling ********.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of rumblings about manufacturing issues and overheating. The only way that MS puts more on the shelves is if they rush consoles out to the stores with these known issues. I generally wait to buy a console until it has at least been revamped and rereleased once, especially now when the price and the stakes are so high. MS had so many issues with the first batch of 360s... I even waited and I'm on my 4th one (one I sold to my brother so I could upgrade to elite, and it died shortly after. I had to take my first elite back to the store in a week, and the 2nd one of those I had to send in for repair...) I have an effing NES manufactured in the 1980's sitting in my basement that still plays games, and we have consoles these days that are failing in less than 10 years through no fault of the owner - I baby my stuff because I hate the thought of having to rebuy something I paid so much for.

I'm definitely not jumping on either console right away, but I'm going PS4 for sure, because MS has just fumbled and bumbled this launch way too much for me to trust them anytime soon. Somewhere down the line, if they get their sh!t together, I may consider picking one up...

Another major policy reversal apparently coming. Sources have told Game Informer that Microsoft will soon announce that indie developers can self publish on Xbox One, choose their own pricing and release date.

MS has gotten so many things wrong its kinda ridiculous. At least they have the sense to make changes, I guess.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-to-reverse-indie-publishing-requirements-report-6411991

Also, even retail Xbox Ones can be used as a devkit (but not at launch apparently, still big news)

I must have misread it because I thought it said they could be switched to debug mode, allowing the console to play pre-release code without being banned from XBL. That is not the same thing as being a dev kit. I could be mistaken from what I read though, it wasn't really detailed.