Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carter

Xbox One News & Updates

437 posts in this topic

Figured we need one of these in here too with the unveiling coming up sometime fairly soon. Plus the PS4 has its 10 page thread going, so a little balance helps.

Eidos president, Ian Livingstone, says Microsoft has indeed designed the new Xbox to block used games and require an internet connection.

Industry veteran and Eidos life president Ian Livingstone has said Microsoft's next Xbox could block pre-owned games and require an active internet connection.

Speaking to MCV India, Livingstone said the next-gen consoles weren't prepared to go towards a digital-only method of distributing games. "The next iteration of consoles--the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don’t want to have them," said Livingstone. "Broadband speed globally isn’t at a level that justifies digital-only.”

As part of its PlayStation 4 unveiling last week, Sony confirmed that its next-gen console wasn't going to block pre-owned software. Microsoft, on the other hand, has "gone halfway” between physical and digital distribution with the new Xbox, blocking pre-owned in the process according to Livingstone.

“With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an Internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another," said Livingstone.

Over the weekend an events management company which has previously worked with Microsoft registered the domain XboxEvent.com, causing many to speculate Microsoft will shortly announce its next Xbox. Earlier this month UK gaming magazine Edge also said the new Xbox would block pre-owned software.

Ruminating on the future, Livingstone said that he thinks the "generation after" the PlayStation 4 and new Xbox will be digital-only.

Microsoft declined to comment when approached by GameSpot.

http://m.gamespot.com/news/xbox-720-could-block-used-software-says-eidos-president-6404465/

I don't even buy used games because the used game retailers are rapist, but I like the option of being able to play a game I didn't purchase.

If Microsoft does indeed block 2nd hand games then eff them and their product.

that wouldn't stop me, as long as the other features are good enough. If the announcement is coming soon, I wonder what the countdown on major nelson's blog is about. Possibly release date?

If this is true then the PS4 will win the market for this generation regardless of a $100-200 price difference

Well one of the creators behind Gears of War, Cliff Bleszinski, left Epic for "personal reasons" (though it turns out he's sick of the industry apparently)... he thinks PS4 has a very strong model for this next gen but need instant update ability, Nintendo could soon go the way of Sega, and Xbox's lack of support for free-to-play will hurt them.

I think it's gonna be a very interesting next gen battle.

In this economy the XBox will be DOA, the price of games is going to increase to make up dor a cheaper console price and they want to kill uses games? That means you'll have to pay 80$ for a game every time.

Nintendo is pretty much already dead. If the PS4 is over 500$ then put a fork in console gaming. It will be done, especially if Sony has not corrected the security issues with their networks.

Well Sony already said the most a PS4 game will cost is $60. Not counting the collectors editions of course. PS4 also rumored to start at $429. I'm anxious to hear what the Xbox will start at.

In this economy the XBox will be DOA, the price of games is going to increase to make up dor a cheaper console price and they want to kill uses games? That means you'll have to pay 80$ for a game every time.

Nintendo is pretty much already dead. If the PS4 is over 500$ then put a fork in console gaming. It will be done, especially if Sony has not corrected the security issues with their networks.

you haven't been keeping up with the news I see

The ****? Literally none if that was based on fact.

The hardcore gamers will still buy, but I think they will lost most if not all of their casual gamers. I sure as **** won't be buying it if that's the case. I buy pretty much all used games, unless its a huge title.

RIP Microsoft.

if they do block used games ill wont buy a 720 and ill pick up the ps4, i buy used games all the time and only buy new games if its like Halo 4 type games

Honestly, I don't expect them to announce that the new Xbox will block used games. Especially now that Sony has taken a more open approach to it and developers are as excited about the PS4 as they are. It would be a very poor business decision, given that PS4 will not be at the same games disadvantage that PS3 was due to system design, which allowed Xbox 360 to take over.

It will be much more even ground this time. MS does themselves no favors by restricting their market.

Indie game developer superstar Jonathan Blow is again voicing displeasure with Microsoft...

Jonathan Blow, the independent game developer behind Braid, revealed his new game The Witness at Sony’s PlayStation 4 reveal. And while it’s not a PlayStation 4 exclusive, it will be on Sony’s platform first.

Speaking with Edge Online, Blow notes that the new, still-unknown Xbox 360 successor is “not strictly about games,” leading him to PlayStation 4 as a result.

“To me[,] they talk about a console that is not strictly about games. It’s trying to be the

of the living room device, which is fine and maybe it’s the right thing for Microsoft to do, business-wise. I don’t know; I actually don’t think it is, but they’ve certainly thought about it more than me!”

Blow then goes into his previous working relationship with Microsoft. “I’ve had a bad time working with Microsoft in the past. Maybe not super bad, but a moderately bad time in terms of business relationships. Other developers who are friends of mine have had a horrible time, so the idea of signing up again with Microsoft isn’t something I’d have ruled out, but there’s a certain amount of dread I have about doing that again.”

He notes that he doesn’t “have that [feeling] with Sony.” But he goes on to say, “Who knows, maybe it’ll turn out to be just as bad at the end! But I don’t think so.”

This isn’t the first time Blow has made his unhappiness with Microsoft known. He noted back in February that he doesn’t “have good communication with anyone at Microsoft right now,” while echoing the same general sentiment from the Edge interview, noting that his studio “like the positioning of the PS4 more than what we perceive Microsoft’s positioning is going to be.”

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/03/08/braid-dev-new-xbox-not-strictly-about-games

PS3 was the centerpiece to many people's entertainment center.. since it was a bluray player that played games and people used it to s.tream wirelessly from PC to their HDTVs

PS3 was the centerpiece to many people's entertainment center.. since it was a bluray player that played games and people used it to s.tream wirelessly from PC to their HDTVs

yeah the developer sounds like an idiot.

He and MS are not on the best of terms so it's probably more nitpicky than anything. I think MS is targeting casual users who get more use out of non-gaming stuff as a focal point though. They have a lot more going on there than PSN does anyway... PSN can't even touch the non-gaming entertainment value of XBL.