Manti Te'o And The Lovers Who Hate Him

A lot of people have been saying that Te'o was never good, that people only like him because of the drama and that Alabama made it clear that he was never any good to begin with...so I decided to research that a little.

People that advocated drafting Te'o before the Bama game and Kekua incident, according to search results where they explicitly said they wanted us to draft him, often as their FIRST CHOICE due to being their FAVORITE REALISTIC FIRST ROUND PICK for us in the 2013 draft, along with choice quotes if people elaborated on wanting him badly enough:

Master Exploder - "I actually think drafting a MLB in the 1st round is not out of the realm of possibility. We have a hole with Curtis Lofton gone and if Akeem Dent or Lofa Tatupu don't step up, then this might be a very intriguing option for us. This kid does everything and he does it well. I have no doubts that he won't be a stud MLB in this league one day."

Zodiac - "Honestly right now if a team were to take Manti Te'o he's a better LB at this point than Lofton is when you subtract the learning curves and systems and just break it down in terms of pure ability. Te'o is better in coverage and blitzing and is just as good as a run stuffer from a fundamental standpoint, and he's also a much better athlete. The amazing thing is this kid has Willis like upside but due to the positional value he could be had in the late 1st round."

Psychic Gibbon - "I know he wouldn't fill a huge need, but I'd love to pick up Manti Te'o. An LB corps of Weatherspoon, Nicholas, and Te'o would be a dream come true for me."

vel - "Right now, I say Eifert (TE), Holmes ©, Te'o (MLB), Jones (LT,G,C), Faulk (LT) would be my picks for a 1st rounder, in that order. I don't see us going OL unless Holmes doesn't show any progression. Maybe MLB if Dent struggles, but like I said, unless it's Te'o, I don't see how you spend that much on a 2 Down player unless Dent just is trash."

Steel City Falcon - "Inside linebackers aren't routinely valued at a premium with the proliferation of the passing game, but Te'o is a special player with extraordinary skills. He is athletic enough to roam freely from sideline to sideline against the run or pass, while also providing a stout presence within the box. Given his unique skills and versatility, Te'o could emerge as a blue-chip talent by season's end."

youngbloodz - "Man I wish we could get Manti Te'o. Him Spoon Nic at LB would be insane. He would shore up our run D real quick."

Big Rob 64 - "If we could swing a trade to move up to the early-to-mid 20's (no higher) draft Manti Te'o, if Nolan sees a dominant all-down Mike linebacker that would fit his scheme. I would be very happy with that pick in that circumstance. I almost never advocate giving up draft picks to move up, but Te-o will be a dominant, special player, and can be the lynchpin of a defense. My only concern is would a Mike backer have a place in Nolan's scheme? So while I believe Te'o will be a dominant player, I fear it will be for someone else."

Torris - "I also wouldn't mind this. Dent is not going to shore up that position, and Te'o is also an incredible player. Would be an upgrade over even Lofton."

FalconFan13 - "If we had to take a MLB early then just go all out and trade up some for manti te'o if you gonna grab one get a beast that will make a difference."

The Dirty Bird - "I know people arent going to like this, but I think we should do another Julio trade up. Mainly, our team is so good and we have some quality depth that we could use another star impact player vs. two good guys. The two guys that come to mind are Manti Te'o who we can probably get up to #6 for again, or DT Star from Utah. Te'o is the next Ray Lewis/Junior Seau. He may not have Patrick Willis measurables but he's the greatest defensive leader I've ever watched live in college. Nolan's base defense is a nickel with 3 CBs and 2 LBs. Take a moment and imagine Manti Te'o and Sean Weatherspoon as our two LBs. Our run defense gets a HUGE jolt with both of those guys flying all over, and our pass defense also get a huge boost with both of those guys in coverage and Brent, Asante, and Dunta back at CB fully healthy. Nicholas stays on as SLB, Te'o as MLB, Weatherspoon as WLB -- all can cover, blitz, and stop the run."

Knight of God

Spartacus 182

b3nz.

METE

jbrinson

CHOCTHEFALCONFAN

hjerry

Fibonacci/Mashburn

maorifalcon

B_Lo_Touchdowns

mrobinson3803

dirtybird#11

FalconFanTann

Cole World

bts285

Prediction of the year goes to falcon90 - "Te'o won't fall unless something dramatic happens from this time to the draft."

Shocker.

This isn't a callout thread. I don't think any less of people who changed their minds or people I posted about - everyone has a right to an opinion. But one thing should be noted - one thing that I want you all to take away from this thread.

Before the Alabama game, I literally could not find a single post that said Manti Te'o was a bad pick.

That's right. No post, not one said that he was a bad pick, a poor player, or anything of the sort - only that he was a dream pick and that we should take him if he slipped, or that he would be great somewhere else. No one ever bashed someone for saying we could take Te'o, unless "bashing" is saying there was no way he'd be available at our pick.

I was only able to find posts back to around June of 2011, but I thought this would be interesting for people here...particularly those who are saying we shouldn't take him now, even when they were all for it before.

Much love, TATF. Let the discussion begin.

Edited by TuggIe2

A couple of other gems from the NFL Draft forum:

Kayoh - "He might not be the next Urlacher but nothing is stopping him from being the next Patrick Willis."

bossFALCON - "he would be a beast for us but he's not going to make it past the 8th or 9th pick"

Robb4242 - "Te'o is a borderline top 15 player. He's far & away the #1 MLB in this draft however which will probably result in him being overdrafted. While he does seem like he will have some physical limitations in the pro game, I think he would fit in with what we are doing on defense (at least what we did early in the year) extremely well. I think if he's hanging around between 15 & 20 then Mr. Blank tells TD to start working the trade. Given the kid's fire on the field & his reputation off of it, he's a guy that Mr. Blank would love to have on this roster."

texasfalconfan - "i think this guy is the best player in the draft and a position we need. he will project to go between 7 and 10 if we could trade up giving up a 2nd and 4th to get him i think it would be worth it."

vel (more in depth) "Many people here point to the deep DLine class and assume we should jump in on it. The way I see it, this opens the door for you to take talent from a less deep position. MLB is it. Te'o has immense potential. Spoon, Nic and Te'o would be a terror to deal with week in and week out. It would make our 3-3-5 looks intimidating. Yes, we don't currently use our MLB much, but with a talent like Te'o, you have to put him on the field. Our run D will definitely improve with Te'o and he is adept in pass D. Nolan loves LBs and having the best LB corps in the league would let him be very creative."

Other lovers include:

BlazerQuaker

head busta from augusta

Kilgore Trout

atljbo

So are you saying if he is there we should take him?

I don't know about taking him, physically I believe he has what it takes and can improve in his pass coverage skills.

It the physiological aspect that I'am worried about. Not only the hoax scandal but, the Alabama game could have a shocking affect on him. Maybe he is thinking, can he play with the big boys? Are the bright lights to big for him?

Does he have the mentality to use all the things being thought and said about him and use it as motivation and prove everyone wrong?

These are the question I have about him.

If we are to choose a MLB in the 1st and Te'o and Minter are there I would choose Me'o for the upside and Minter for the safe bet.

I'm actually not saying we should take him at all. I'd rather have several guys over him in the first - Xavier Rhodes, Datone Jones, Kawann Short, Jesse Williams, Jonathan Cooper - the list goes on. But I wouldn't be upset with him in the first, and if he's in the second, I'd hope our staff takes a look.

This is more to prove a point about how annoying it is when people say he was never any good and forget what it was like just a couple months ago.

I'm actually not saying we should take him at all. I'd rather have several guys over him in the first - Xavier Rhodes, Datone Jones, Kawann Short, Jesse Williams, Jonathan Cooper - the list goes on. But I wouldn't be upset with him in the first, and if he's in the second, I'd hope our staff takes a look.

This is more to prove a point about how annoying it is when people say he was never any good and forget what it was like just a couple months ago.

Agreed, I asked earlier today if there was a possibility Te'o could slip to our pick in the second, think there is any chance?

Like I have been saying all along, I think he was an outstanding college player; but I really think he is gonna be a step slow in the nfl. And in the nfl that is all it takes. Rey Maleluga was a heck of a player at USC but he isnt great in the nfl because he is slow. Teo's draft stock is going to be Effected tremendously by his 40time and his individual drills. Then after all of that, another thing that had scouts drooling over Te'o was his leadership. He was a tremendous leader. Now you insert the whole thing with the hoax and it really will make gms question him and makes his speed deficiencies stand out more... basically I feel scouts and gm's will look for reasons not to draft him high, rather than reasons to draft him. When all is said in done I think he goes either to Baltimore or very early round 2. Just my opinion

Agreed, I asked earlier today if there was a possibility Te'o could slip to our pick in the second, think there is any chance?

I honestly doubt he'll even get there to our first rounder with teams like the Texans and Bengals picking ahead of us, but you never know. I doubt it. I'm not counting on him being there either way - and if we do go MLB, I like later round guys, Vince Williams in particular. Brown and Greene if we're just going LB in the first place, as well as Pough and maybe Sio Moore.

Should not move up to get him. But if he falls to us I think we have to think hard about it. I hate how he performed on the big stage. But if you look at his tape he is a solid tackler and loooked to have nice range when covering tight ends. He also knows how to blitz. And if you don't know playing in a 4-3 defense you need a middle line backer that can cover. So given his body of work I would not be mad if we picked him.

I don't know all the football jargon you fellas use but I don't think his play against Bama was a fluke. I understand his play against the other teams ND played was outstanding but the NFL is a big jump. I'm tired of players NOT stepping up for the big game. Will that trend continue? Is he a head case waiting to happen? Something about his drama don't sit right with me guys. He seems to be a good guy on one hand but.......