Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atljbo

2013 Prospects We Are Looking At (Falcons Related)

341 posts in this topic

This wasn't a question of on-field play, it was a question of athleticism.

Who cares how athletic he is running in shorts? It's about how athletic he is on the field.

Who cares how athletic he is running in shorts? It's about how athletic he is on the field.

If you're seriously arguing that Ansah isn't insanely athletic, you're insane. Again, I don't think they're totally similar...but Ansah is a freak.

If you're seriously arguing that Ansah isn't insanely athletic, you're insane. Again, I don't think they're totally similar...but Ansah is a freak.

Are we talking on the field or in shorts? Big difference.

Are we talking on the field or in shorts? Big difference.

Both. With Ansah, no, there really isn't much of a difference. Question of competition level was answered in the Senior Bowl and he's been getting better at the little things for quite some time. His instincts make a big difference.

Both. With Ansah, no, there really isn't much of a difference. Question of competition level was answered in the Senior Bowl and he's been getting better at the little things for quite some time. His instincts make a big difference.

I still don't think he is as athletic as JPP despite the numbers.

Ansah ran a faster 40, faster shuttle, faster 3 cone, more bench reps, higher vert, higher broad, has longer arms, and they're dead ringers height and weight wise. I don't think they're that similar as players personally, but if you're going to say Ansah isn't as athletic as JPP, at least know what you're talking about in terms of measurables.

I'm not talking about measurables. I'm talking about what makes JPP rare - he and Ansah have similar playing strength, but JPP was an athletic freak because at his size and with his speed he is/was still a natural bender with pure natural pass rush ability. Ansah doesn't. There's a reason BYU used Ansah at both end and on the inside - he isn't an elite pass rusher and he doesn't have that great natural pass rushing ability like JPP.

Tony Pauline@TonyPauline 3h

Dalton Freeman/C/Clemson drawing heavy interest from NE Patriots..private workout with Atlanta Falcons & visiting the KC Chiefs next week..

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 2h

Ex-LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu has visits set up with the Vikings, Bucs, Patriots, 49ers, Bills, Cardinals, Bengals, Texans, Seahawks & Falcons

Tony Pauline@TonyPauline 4h

Desmond Trufant/CB/Washington visited the Atlanta Falcons yesterday....could be the pick if he's available at pick # 30...

Prime said he told the Falcons we need to take a chance on Tyrann Mathieu

Rai likes this

I'd take NFL Network and ESPN draft analysts with a grain of salt. Slay was a 4th round prospect until he ran fast at the combine and now he suddenly has more upside than Banks. It's like DJ Hayden being a 6th round prospect until he ran fast at his pro day and now they suddenly consider him a top 5 CB prospect.

I just posted that because you said you doubt the kid watches tape because he said Slay was better than Banks. Apparently other people do. I honestly have never been a big fan of Banks. Judging CB's is definitely my worst area, but i have never been a fan of Banks and to me he does look like he has bust potential. I don't know if i would say Slay is better than Banks right now, but i would rather not get Banks.

Prime said he told the Falcons we need to take a chance on Tyrann Mathieu

I agree with Prime 100%. Matthieu has huge upside if we can get him in the 3rd/4th round. I doubt he falls to the end of the 3rd though.

I just posted that because you said you doubt the kid watches tape because he said Slay was better than Banks. Apparently other people do. I honestly have never been a big fan of Banks. Judging CB's is definitely my worst area, but i have never been a fan of Banks and to me he does look like he has bust potential. I don't know if i would say Slay is better than Banks right now, but i would rather not get Banks.

Care to explain why?

If we take any CB at the end of the third, it'd better be Leon McFadden.

I'm not talking about measurables. I'm talking about what makes JPP rare - he and Ansah have similar playing strength, but JPP was an athletic freak because at his size and with his speed he is/was still a natural bender with pure natural pass rush ability. Ansah doesn't. There's a reason BYU used Ansah at both end and on the inside - he isn't an elite pass rusher and he doesn't have that great natural pass rushing ability like JPP.

I agree. I think me and you took that to mean something else - I wasn't suggesting he's an elite pass rusher. I view him as much more similar to someone like Justin Smith than JPP. I like Ansah more as a ridiculously disruptive run stuffer with some pass rushing potential than someone used purely to get after the QB, though I think he could be good at that too.

I agree with Prime 100%. Matthieu has huge upside if we can get him in the 3rd/4th round. I doubt he falls to the end of the 3rd though.

I think he could but would the falcons take a chance on him if he did

We are looking heavy in LBs and Cbs.... I just think these are our weakness areas .... give mi Trufant and Green or Arthur Brown and Banks and I will be really happy.....

Care to explain why?

Maybe bust potential isn't the best word, but i do not see him holding up to 1st round value. He just isn't a very fluid athlete. I do think he is a pretty instinctive corner and thats always a good trait to have and that is where he is at his best, but he isn't a guy who is going to cover a WR 1v1 and handle him. I can't remember anyone he handled last year. And didn't Moncrief destroy him in the egg bowl this year for like 2 TD's?

I think he could but would the falcons take a chance on him if he did

Doubt it, but i've been really wanting him all offseason. He is one of the few guys that i really really really really want.

Ansah is a pretty unique player as a projection to an NFL DL/OLB guy. Would love to have him but he will be long gone.

I think TD wants Leon McFadden badly; I do too.

Banks and Slay are very different; each has pros and cons. Both can succeed. Slay has the higher ceiling.

Maybe bust potential isn't the best word, but i do not see him holding up to 1st round value. He just isn't a very fluid athlete. I do think he is a pretty instinctive corner and thats always a good trait to have and that is where he is at his best, but he isn't a guy who is going to cover a WR 1v1 and handle him. I can't remember anyone he handled last year. And didn't Moncrief destroy him in the egg bowl this year for like 2 TD's?

If that is your benchmark then you're going to be supremely disappointed with most of the CBs this year. Milliner didn't shut anyone down and it could be argued he was largely a product of the front seven and Trufant played no one of note outside of Robert Woods, who had a good game against him, and the way he plays will not translate well in the NFL (lots of PI and defensive holding calls). Rhodes will be a shutdown corner and I'm disappointed we can't get him since he was my draft crush going into the season, but oh well. That said, Banks is well rounded and can play off man, press man, and cover well, which is difficult to find in a CB, is long and rangy, has good hands, has the strength to rip the ball from the carrier, instinctive, and is a field general before the snap. He doesn't have optimal lateral agility and didn't put up the best 40 time imaginable, but 40 times are extremely overrated and the lateral agility can be worked on.

After those four you see a sharp drop off in terms of how complete the CBs are. There are projects like Alford and Webb, incomplete players like Slay and Wreh-Wilson, and players who may be better off playing at S like Amerson. I also find it funny you're flipping out for Mathieu who is nothing more than a NB and was vastly overrated at the position to start with and has been out of football for a year to boot.

Yup... With Grimes gone.. It looks like CB will be very very high on our list ... Checking out all the late 1st round and some mid-late round CB;s

Yup... With Grimes gone.. It looks like CB will be very very high on our list ... Checking out all the late 1st round and some mid-late round CB;s

JBO whats your read on DJ Hayden.

To me he has all the tools to be good at the next level whats your take??

Or are we looking for that Sean Smith type 6 0' + type physical guy.

JBO whats your read on DJ Hayden.

To me he has all the tools to be good at the next level whats your take??

Or are we looking for that Sean Smith type 6 0' + type physical guy.

IDK how to feel about him... Medical tests will tell alot.... He was a very good CB tho... 2nd or 3rd (most likely) round

I think McFadden is our guy still. Can be around as good as Trufant, but without the inevitable PIs in the NFL. And available at the bottom of the third, unless something goes horribly wrong.

If that is your benchmark then you're going to be supremely disappointed with most of the CBs this year. Milliner didn't shut anyone down and it could be argued he was largely a product of the front seven and Trufant played no one of note outside of Robert Woods, who had a good game against him, and the way he plays will not translate well in the NFL (lots of PI and defensive holding calls). Rhodes will be a shutdown corner and I'm disappointed we can't get him since he was my draft crush going into the season, but oh well. That said, Banks is well rounded and can play off man, press man, and cover well, which is difficult to find in a CB, is long and rangy, has good hands, has the strength to rip the ball from the carrier, instinctive, and is a field general before the snap. He doesn't have optimal lateral agility and didn't put up the best 40 time imaginable, but 40 times are extremely overrated and the lateral agility can be worked on.

After those four you see a sharp drop off in terms of how complete the CBs are. There are projects like Alford and Webb, incomplete players like Slay and Wreh-Wilson, and players who may be better off playing at S like Amerson. I also find it funny you're flipping out for Mathieu who is nothing more than a NB and was vastly overrated at the position to start with and has been out of football for a year to boot.

My benchmark isn't just if he shut down anyone or not. I went to MSU so i've seen him play alot. I just never came away impressed by him. .Didn't see what was so special besides his length and was a decently instinctive player. Not a guy i'd prefer to use a 1st round pick on. Seeing him get destroyed in the Egg bowl definitely did not help

The reason I want Mathieu is because we wouldn't have to spend a 1st or maybe even a 2nd round pick on the guy and the guy is an absolute playmaker. And another reason is because I believe that McClain can play on the outisde. I am not even 100% sold that Mattheiu is a NB, but if our FO believes so then that is fine because McClain can play on the outside. Mathieu is a better playmaker than Banks and theres no question about that.

If your asking me to choose a 1st for Banks or 3rd on Matthieu i'll take Matthieu evertime with no hesitation.