Espn's Adam Schefter Reports The Falcons Are "likely" To Release Michael Turner.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Falcons are "likely" to release Michael Turner.

That's the extent of Schefter's report, but it suggests a move is imminent, perhaps before the Combine is through. Releasing Turner and his $6.9 million salary is a no-brainer after he wheezed to 3.6 yards per carry during his age-30 season, and failed to surpass 1,000 yards rushing for just the second time since 2007. Turner is one of the most productive backs of the past half decade, but is fading fast. He won't generate much buzz on the open market.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why dont we just do it already. Sometimes I swear this Org needs to grow some balls man. It is the nature of the business

As long as players are cut before they directly impact the salary cap, why does it matter when they're cut? I do enjoy message board GM's ranting like this! laugh.png "Bah I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.. the team sucks!"

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Falcons are "likely" to release Michael Turner.

That's the extent of Schefter's report, but it suggests a move is imminent, perhaps before the Combine is through. Releasing Turner and his $6.9 million salary is a no-brainer after he wheezed to 3.6 yards per carry during his age-30 season, and failed to surpass 1,000 yards rushing for just the second time since 2007. Turner is one of the most productive backs of the past half decade, but is fading fast. He won't generate much buzz on the open market.

NFL Media is a joke... this is NOT news. "Michael Turner has just been released by Atlanta", or "Michael Turner has renegotiated his contract with Atlanta" would be news stories... this is not

I predict a Pat Y article saying the same thing soon. lol

Lol

Report: Falcons likely to release Turner

By Pat Yasinskas | Feb 22, 2013 9:58 AM

The Atlanta Falcons are likely to release running back Michael Turner, according to this report by Adam Schefter.

This news should come as absolutely no surprise. As I wrote last week, it’s pretty obvious Turner isn’t the player he was earlier in his career and it’s time for the Falcons to get younger in the backfield.

But releasing Turner would impact more than Atlanta’s backfield. Parting ways with him could help the Falcons keep some of their own potential free agents. Cornerback Brent Grimes, left tackle Sam Baker and safety William Moore all are scheduled to become free agents.

At the moment, the Falcons are only about $3 million under the projected salary cap. Turner is scheduled to count $8.9 million against the cap. But the Falcons could free up $6.9 million by releasing him.

Lol

The Atlanta Falcons are likely to release running back Michael Turner, according to this report by Adam Schefter.

This news should come as absolutely no surprise. As I wrote last week, it's pretty obvious Turner isn't the player he was earlier in his career and it's time for the Falcons to get younger in the backfield.

But releasing Turner would impact more than Atlanta's backfield. Parting ways with him could help the Falcons keep some of their own potential free agents. Cornerback Brent Grimes, left tackle Sam Baker and safety William Moore all are scheduled to become free agents.

At the moment, the Falcons are only about $3 million under the projected salary cap. Turner is scheduled to count $8.9 million against the cap. But the Falcons could free up $6.9 million by releasing him.

Haha .. I am a motherfu*kin psychic! laugh.png

1_2_captain-obvious-1024x377.jpg

Lol

This news should come as absolutely no surprise. As I wrote last week, it's pretty obvious Turner isn't the player he was earlier in his career and it's time for the Falcons to get younger in the backfield.

But releasing Turner would impact more than Atlanta's backfield. Parting ways with him could help the Falcons keep some of their own potential free agents. Cornerback Brent Grimes, left tackle Sam Baker and safety William Moore all are scheduled to become free agents.

re·gur·gi·ta·tion

noun \(ˌ)rē-ˌgər-jə-ˈtā-shən\

Definition of REGURGITATION

: an act of regurgitating: as

a: the casting up of incompletely digested food (as by some birds in feeding their young)

b: the backward flow of blood through a defective heart valve

Edited by hjerry

As long as players are cut before they directly impact the salary cap, why does it matter when they're cut? I do enjoy message board GM's ranting like this! laugh.png "Bah I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.. the team sucks!"

I didnt say this team sucks, but when it comes to players I do think they stay too loyal for too long.

You never know. If he has an oline that gives him space to get going he is still a load to bring down

Ain't gonna happen. He lost the ability to spin, slide and roll to another opening when his oline doesn't open the original hole. This ability is what seperates a good rb from a has been. Edited by big_dog

I didnt say this team sucks, but when it comes to players I do think they stay too loyal for too long.

Turner could have been released last year - but glad we kept him the one extra year - seems fair for all we got out of him the prior 4 years.

As far as this offseason right now - what does it really matter Jaymadd if we release him today or next week or March 13th - i mean really?

c'mon mannnnnnn!

Maybe he'll take a paycut. Releasing Turner may not be a huge mistake, because If we can't get our line to run block, then there's no point in having any back on the field... but imagine if we had the run blocking line we had even in 2011. Turner is still a beast when he gets the initial blocking. He's no slower than Quizz on a straight line dash to the end zone. Quizz may be faster hitting holes, but both backs need initial blocking that Quizz also rarely gets.

Turner could have been released last year - but glad we kept him the one extra year - seems fair for all we got out of him the prior 4 years.

As far as this offseason right now - what does it really matter Jaymadd if we release him today or next week or March 13th - i mean really?

c'mon mannnnnnn!

We should have got rid of him last year, We should have used Quizz and Snelling more. I just think we hesitate on some things instead of just getting it done. If we release him now it gives him more time to think about his options especially if it is inevitable that we are going to cut him.