Homosexuality-A Choice?

You'd be wrong in your case. Christians can be vicious, but Christianity doesn't quantify their attitude and actions, only their belief in Jesus Christ being the savior. Poor Christians? Maybe. Bad Christians? Probably. Christians? Absolutely.

Words have definitions, science discovers laws and facts, and neither of those two can be argued without one party being wrong.

Well by definition, Christian is to be "Christ-like". It doesn't mean to be Christ, but it means so much more than "I go to church, or I read the Bible, or I say my prayers." To be Christian means to be a theological convert and theology is a whole lot deeper than simply choosing to say that you are something. Going to church, reading the Bible, does not make one a Christian.

Consider this. If I sit in a garage, does that make me a car? If I read a book on mathematics, does that make me a mathematician? No. Laws and facts, are relative as "certainty" is a self defeating idea. When science becomes certain of everything, then we have no need for research and discovery.

I am not saying that they aren't born that way, but I also cannot say for certain that it is a choice. I have a Christian worldview on these matters, so my worldview shows me to be tolerant, not to be confused with "accepting of".

In other words, I will not be protesting, speaking in public against, or anything else. No more or less than any subject matter. I will however note when something has become at a slant. Its easy to become intolernant of those perceived as intolerant. Hence, my comment about getting "circular".

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being gay has to be genetic because no man in his right mind can look at another man's hairy @ss and say, "Ooooh! I gotta have that!"

I have yet to meet a person that choose to be gay. Never heard of it either. Actually the only cases of someone somehow altering their sexual preferences were people discovering that they are bisexual. But I don´t think that was a choice either.

Wow, iit's sad to me to see how many ignoramuses we have on this board. In a way I hate to see divisive threads like this here, because I want to like all of you for the mere fact that your Falcons fans. Then I read some of the posts in this thread and it makes liking some of you really hard, just based on your sickening level of ignorance. Not that I can't put up with or like someone who disagrees with me. I disagree with people who are friends and family members all the time on a variety of topics. However, the very idea that someone "chooses" their sexuality is just so laughably, knuckle-draggingly effing stupid it blows my mind. Not only is this attitude stupid and antiquated, it's harmful as well. Having several friends and family members who are gay, the ultimate harmfulness of this attitude is why this particular brand of ignorance bothers me so much more than people's ignorance about other topics does.

First of all, let's clear one thing up. The choice to have homosexual sex is not what makes a person gay. An innate same-sex attraction does, whether that attraction is ever acted upon or not. A person who is gay could go through life forcing themselves to have only heterosexual sex, which they would get no more joy or enjoyment out of than any of us straight people would forcing ourselves to have homosexual sex. Or they could choose to have no sex at all, ever. Those two scenarios would be "choices" but they would not be choices that would make the gay person any less gay.

Second, having established that same-sex attraction, not an active same-sex relationship, is what defines a person as gay, what does that say about any of you who assert that homosexuality is a choice? Did you choose to be straight? More importantly, could you choose to be gay? You know what, I couldn't. Not in a million years. I didn't choose to be straight and I couldn't choose to be gay even if I wanted to for some reason. In fact, if you think that you, yourself, personally have chosen NOT to be gay, you're probably gay. (It's not just a river in Egypt is it?) Of course, most of you who throw that old, tiered, ignorant line around don't choose not to be gay and couldn't choose it if you wanted to either. So, that said, why isn't it a potential "choice" for you and it is a potential "choice" for others? Could it be that they were just born with a different genetic wiring than you and therefore were just BORN THAT WAY???? DUH?

Don't give me any crap about homosexuality being a product of environment either. My brother is gay and we grew up in the exact same environment. Yet, he had the potential to "choose" being gay and I did not. Go figure. Lastly, even if it is or was a product of environment, (it's not), then a gay person STILL didn't choose it. Environmental factors would have chosen it for them.

You can disagree with me on abortion or gun control or geopolitical issues and I won't call you an ignoramus. We just don't see things the same way and I'll agree to disagree. If you think being homosexual is a choice, you are an effing ignoramus. Still, I suppose you are entitled to your ignorant, wrong, silly, backwards, out-dated opinion.

Wow, iit's sad to me to see how many ignoramuses we have on this board. In a way I hate to see divisive threads like this here, because I want to like all of you for the mere fact that your Falcons fans. Then I read some of the posts in this thread and it makes liking some of you really hard, just based on your sickening level of ignorance. Not that I can't put up with or like someone who disagrees with me. I disagree with people who are friends and family members all the time on a variety of topics. However, the very idea that someone "chooses" their sexuality is just so laughably, knuckle-draggingly effing stupid it blows my mind. Not only is this attitude stupid and antiquated, it's harmful as well. Having several friends and family members who are gay, the ultimate harmfulness of this attitude is why this particular brand of ignorance bothers me so much more than people's ignorance about other topics does.

First of all, let's clear one thing up. The choice to have homosexual sex is not what makes a person gay. An innate same-sex attraction does, whether that attraction is ever acted upon or not. A person who is gay could go through life forcing themselves to have only heterosexual sex, which they would get no more joy or enjoyment out of than any of us straight people would forcing ourselves to have homosexual sex. Or they could choose to have no sex at all, ever. Those two scenarios would be "choices" but they would not be choices that would make the gay person any less gay.

Second, having established that same-sex attraction, not an active same-sex relationship, is what defines a person as gay, what does that say about any of you who assert that homosexuality is a choice? Did you choose to be straight? More importantly, could you choose to be gay? You know what, I couldn't. Not in a million years. I didn't choose to be straight and I couldn't choose to be gay even if I wanted to for some reason. In fact, if you think that you, yourself, personally have chosen NOT to be gay, you're probably gay. (It's not just a river in Egypt is it?) Of course, most of you who throw that old, tiered, ignorant line around don't choose not to be gay and couldn't choose it if you wanted to either. So, that said, why isn't it a potential "choice" for you and it is a potential "choice" for others? Could it be that they were just born with a different genetic wiring than you and therefore were just BORN THAT WAY???? DUH?

Don't give me any crap about homosexuality being a product of environment either. My brother is gay and we grew up in the exact same environment. Yet, he had the potential to "choose" being gay and I did not. Go figure. Lastly, even if it is or was a product of environment, (it's not), then a gay person STILL didn't choose it. Environmental factors would have chosen it for them.

You can disagree with me on abortion or gun control or geopolitical issues and I won't call you an ignoramus. We just don't see things the same way and I'll agree to disagree. If you think being homosexual is a choice, you are an effing ignoramus. Still, I suppose you are entitled to your ignorant, wrong, silly, backwards, out-dated opinion.

So, wouldn't that too be considered anecdotal?

Just what I said... but hey, our lifetime experience seems to be just anecdotal... the excpetion of the norm... but I know what I witnessed for myself for over 30 years and I know that homosexuality (or bisexuality) is as much a part of a person as his/her race or eye color.

Just what I said... but hey, our lifetime experience seems to be just anecdotal... the excpetion of the norm... but I know what I witnessed for myself for over 30 years and I know that homosexuality (or bisexuality) is as much a part of a person as his/her race or eye color.

Not really. This is anecdotal, but I am often surprised by folks who claim homosexuality. Don't always see it coming, but you can see my dark skin quite well. Except in some photos where I do not show up.

The anecdotal remark was based on the fact that I felt that most of the topic would be. We all have our own experiences one way or another.

Well, you can choose to date a guy, can't you? That would make you gay, if you chose to do that. You may not be able to choose what you are physically attracted to, but you can still choose to date a male if you want to.

I'm actually surprised to see so many of you on here acting like someone choosing to be gay is unheard of. In fact, I don't even know anyone personally that claims to have been born gay. I only know 3 gay people and each of them admit they choose to be gay. I mean that's pretty common. So to say that someone can't choose to be gay would make you an ignoramous.

And once again, I'm not denying the possibility that someone could be "born" gay, I just don't think so in my personal opinion.

I would be willing to bet everyone in this thread knows that kid that everyone knew was gay when they were kids before you even really knew what gay was. If that doesn't show that it is genetic, I don't know what does.

There's always gonna be a kid that's a sissy in elementary school. Doesn't make him gay.

Well, you can choose to date a guy, can't you? That would make you gay, if you chose to do that. You may not be able to choose what you are physically attracted to, but you can still choose to date a male if you want to.

I'm actually surprised to see so many of you on here acting like someone choosing to be gay is unheard of. In fact, I don't even know anyone personally that claims to have been born gay. I only know 3 gay people and each of them admit they choose to be gay. I mean that's pretty common. So to say that someone can't choose to be gay would make you an ignoramous.

And once again, I'm not denying the possibility that someone could be "born" gay, I just don't think so in my personal opinion.

There's always gonna be a kid that's a sissy in elementary school. Doesn't make him gay.

what "special privilages" does a person choose to be gay for?

what "special privilages" does a person choose to be gay for?

People want the special treatment from society. I don't really know of any openly gay guys that got bullied in school. It was the sissies that wouldn't come out that got bullied. I often thought that guys claiming to be gay were just making desparate attempts to escape getting bullied.

I mean it was just in the national news the other day some kid in high school announced he was gay at the school assembly. The whole school erupts in cheers. What is that? Now you get applauded for being gay? Why?

Plus gays get special parades, attention, and even rights and unwritten laws. It's almost a crime to call someone gay now in public. Disney World even has a "gay" day or week or something. The state of Florida celebrates "gay" week.

My head hurts...

I'm not denying the possibility that the moon might NOT be made out of blue cheese, I just think that it is made of blue cheese in my personal opinion.

Do you really not know the difference between an opinion and a fact?

This is what I am getting at right here. What significance does the answer hold?

If it is a choice, then homosexuals as a group are entitled to a lower level of scrutiny regarding equal protection. Essentially, it's easier to discriminate against gays if they are doing it by choice, rather than by genes. Which is really the most despicable aspect of the theocrats' argument. I think Jesus would give them the benefit of the doubt on this, but who knows?

If it is a choice, then homosexuals as a group are entitled to a lower level of scrutiny regarding equal protection. Essentially, it's easier to discriminate against gays if they are doing it by choice, rather than by genes. Which is really the most despicable aspect of the theocrats' argument. I think Jesus would give them the benefit of the doubt on this, but who knows?

Which is why I said the politics of it ruins any chance of reasonable discussion. One side is **** bent on it being solely genetic and the other is **** bent on it having nothing to do with genetics. All because of the political ramifications.

The theological ramifications, if divorced from the political ramifications, aren't that difficult to sort out. It's the politics of it that ruins the possibility of any legitimate discussion of the issue.

If it is a choice, then homosexuals as a group are entitled to a lower level of scrutiny regarding equal protection.

Why? Does anyone claim that your religion is genetically determined, rather than a choice? Likewise, does anyone claim that because it is a choice, it is acceptable to discriminate, based on religious affiliation?

Should one not receive equal protections because of a chosen political view?

Which is why I said the politics of it ruins any chance of reasonable discussion. One side is **** bent on it being solely genetic and the other is **** bent on it having nothing to do with genetics. All because of the political ramifications.

The theological ramifications, if divorced from the political ramifications, aren't that difficult to sort out. It's the politics of it that ruins the possibility of any legitimate discussion of the issue.

this

People want the special treatment from society. I don't really know of any openly gay guys that got bullied in school. It was the sissies that wouldn't come out that got bullied. I often thought that guys claiming to be gay were just making desparate attempts to escape getting bullied.

I mean it was just in the national news the other day some kid in high school announced he was gay at the school assembly. The whole school erupts in cheers. What is that? Now you get applauded for being gay? Why?

Plus gays get special parades, attention, and even rights and unwritten laws. It's almost a crime to call someone gay now in public. Disney World even has a "gay" day or week or something. The state of Florida celebrates "gay" week.

In america people can have parades and celebrate whatever they want. Thats not a special privilage.... What rights do they get that arent available to anyone else?

This is not a topic that will have a true rational conversation. As JDave said, both sides will be bent on it being the way that they see it. As I said earlier it will end up anecdotal no matter what because both sides have their experiences. The topic doesn't have a gavel print as of yet because sciences is still sorting through the details.

That said it will be emotional one way or another.