Tony Gonzalez Is The Equlivant To An Young Tight End

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

Let's face it: Gonzalez isn't as fast as he once was. That being said he compensates for it with his craftiness when he breaks tackles. This however, doesn't compensate for him not being able to run as explosive routes. But what does make up for it is the Gonzalez attracts a lot of attention from officials for PI's. Plus, I still haven't put the last NFC Championship behind me. The terrible calls during that game, it was obvious that the NFL wanted a Harbough-Bowl, so if Gonzalez stays he can milk this for all it's worth, and maybe NFL will see the great story-line.

Guest Negatorris

What is an explosive route? I don't really know what you're even trying to explain, but I'll say this. No TE that we can bring in to replace Tony will make our offense better. Who cares if Gonzo isn't unrealistically getting 30 yard gains every time he catches the ball? He does things that young TEs don't know how to do. And with Julio and Roddy, who cares if Tony isn't getting chunks of yards? He is as clutch as they come and he can get open when Ryan is in trouble, and exploit matchups. I'll take consistency and clutch play over 'explosiveness' any day. Which is why I'm glad we drafted Ryan and didn't stick with Vick.

I believe we will be fine with out tony and a first round TE.. for the simple fact that we picked up tony to help ryan out... and i think ryan is fine now with he can hook up with up to five different receivers a game.. so yes tony is the best but.. at this point it isnt nessesary and we should allow him to be with his family he deserves it.. and we should respect that

I believe we will be fine with out tony and a first round TE.. for the simple fact that we picked up tony to help ryan out... and i think ryan is fine now with he can hook up with up to five different receivers a game.. so yes tony is the best but.. at this point it isnt nessesary and we should allow him to be with his family he deserves it.. and we should respect that

If we get a first round TE. For some odd reason I doubt we do.

Sounds like the OP is saying that while Tony has his limitations, he'll still equal or out-produce a talented rookie, ergo we should bring him back for one more season, if he's willing.

yeah but Falcons are "cap-strapped".

Gonzo salary = $7.5 mm

Rookie TE salary = $500k (drafted outside the first 2 rounds)

we need to put that $7mm to work on the defense.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

Gonzo salary = $7.5 mm

Thank you. Seems more and more people are finally waking up to the fact Tony is going to destroy our defense worse then what it has been I'm the last 5 years.

4 out of 5 years our over all defense has been in the twenties.

Thank you. Seems more and more people are finally waking up to the fact Tony is going to destroy our defense worse then what it has been I'm the last 5 years.

4 out of 5 years our over all defense has been in the twenties.

it will be somewhat of a setback to not have Tony - and I will miss him as well - but all we need is for Roddy/Julio to improve on their numbers by about 5%, get the 3rd receiver more active than in last 4 years (if not HD then someone else) and get about 1/2 of Tony's production from the TD positon - all of this is do-able - to keep the offense humming.

we need our cap dollars going towards Defense right now. It Tony comes back, then OK but if not and Falcons have more to spend on defense - then I like that better.

If Gonzo really wants this ring then he'll come back for cheap. If he comes back for anything more than 3 million then that means he's more interested in the money than he is in the ring.

Edited by Dirty Bird Nation

Guest Negatorris

Gonzo salary = $7.5 mm

You don't even know how much Gonzo is going to get, and secondly no rookie TE will come in and offset that amount of money we save. They won't do anything even remotely close to what Tony does. He's a HOFer for a reason. If you think we can just plug in a rookie to spend extra bucks on the defense, then don't be surprised when the offense takes a step back.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

You don't even know how much Gonzo is going to get, and secondly no rookie TE will come in and offset that amount of money we save. They won't do anything even remotely close to what Tony does. He's a HOFer for a reason. If you think we can just plug in a rookie to spend extra bucks on the defense, then don't be surprised when the offense takes a step back.

2008 we did fine with out him.

In fact that was Matts highest average yards.

No way without Tony we take step back. In fact we might find ourselves in not as many third down situations (again something that improved greatly when Tony came along)

Tony is great, but RW can be used more then he is now for 3rd down conversions. JJ and the new TE can make up in the red zone. So we either need a faster more athletic TE or another WR to go more 4 and 5 wide to stretch a D out like the 49ers. Tony will be missed in ways no matter and if we don't bring in a TE or a WR it will show up some. If we bring in the right guy we can be better. A new faster TE can run deep up the seen opening up the middle for all kinds of things.

Tony got like $7 million last year. Do you think he will come back for less when he already is inclined to leave? Sure he would like a ring but he is not obsessed with it - if so, he would not have said he was going to retire in the first place.

Anybody who thinks Tony is coming back at less money is not living in the real world.

Dimitroff: "Hey Tony we really want you back this year. We want you back so much we are going to cut your salary by 33%. When can you get here?" <Phone goes dead to a dial tone.......> Tony? Tony are you there?

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

Dimitroff: "Hey Tony we really want you back this year. We want you back so much we are going to cut your salary by 33%. When can you get here?" <Phone goes dead to a dial tone.......> Tony? Tony are you there?

Hahahaha. I'm glad I wasn't drinking, cause I would have had it come out my nose.

Tony G is good for too many touch downs to not want him back. I'm not that worried about the defense as far as money goes, we have so many needs it will take two seasons to cover them

The defense will have another year in Nolan's schemes so will auto. be better in that regard

I don't want to ramble, I hope Tony comes back. If we had won the big dance, then it wouldn't

matter to me; but I've been a fan since the inception of the Falcons. Since Mr. Falcon Tommy Nobis was on the front page of The Journal and the Constitution (they were two seperate papers back then) for being the 1st ever draft choice. That's why I want Tony to come back, I don't know how much time I have left. ph34r.png lol

2008 we did fine with out him.

In fact that was Matts highest average yards.

No way without Tony we take step back. In fact we might find ourselves in not as many third down situations (again something that improved greatly when Tony came along)

It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that by simply removing Tony, we'd improve.