This Year's Lbers - Who To Draft?

Pacific_Falcon

I think a lot of us are in agreement that we need a LB in this draft, although how badly is obviously debatable, and where we draft one will surely depend on who is available since we have 3 serious draft needs IMO: DE, DT, and LB. CB and TE are important too, so really DT could realistically just look at those 5 positions, see who has the most upside and take that guy.

Anyway, the more I read, the less and less I like this year's corps of linebackers. IMO, to get a decent one, we are going to have to draft one before the 3rd round. The way I see it, we need a good all around LB, drafting another Lofton clone would be a disaster, and from what I'm reading, there aren't very many this year that are good in coverage/space that also don't lack a bit of physicality. So, since all I have to go off of is online scouting stuff, I thought I would get some info from the draft gurus here what LB'ers they think can be good all around LBers for us. IMO right now Dent and Nicholas have their starting jobs by default, because we are so thin at LB that we have 2 mediocre players starting simply because there aren't better options. That needs to change. I would like to see Nicholas relegated to running down situations, and while I'm not giving up on Dent yet, it's hard to argue we don't need better competition at LB overall.

My thoughts are the closest prospects to being all around good LBer's are Minter, Greene, and Hodges. Also, the more that I read about Kiko Alonso, the more I like, even though I admittedly despise the Oregon Ducks. If what I read about him having a nasty side, playing through the whistle, and having the athleticism to be used in a few different ways, I'd almost take him. Problem is from what I'm reading, he's a 3-4 rounder, but will probably blow up at the combine if he really is as athletic as advertised. This will probably push him into the early 3rd. I'm starting to like the idea of trading our 2nd to move into the early 3rd and pick up an extra pick...snag Jones from UCLA in the 1st and get a LBer in the early 3rd.

Anyway, what are your guys' thoughts on what LBers we should be looking at? Given how much Smith and Co. like guys that have shown potential to play a couple different positions and whatnot, I think guys like Alonso and the OG/OT from Baylor might be on their radar.

We have to trade up most probably to get the guy I want.

FA will be a key indicator I really hope they resign our guys and get either a FA DE or DT up in here.

Then possibly my guy Ogletree comes into play.

I'm not that high on Ogletree...can't deny he has great range and athleticism, but once I read that he lunges a lot as a tackler, I stepped back...half of our knucklehead defense already does that ish and it screws us over constantly.

I'm not that high on Ogletree...can't deny he has great range and athleticism, but once I read that he lunges a lot as a tackler, I stepped back...half of our knucklehead defense already does that ish and it screws us over constantly.

It can be fixed though desert he compares very well with Spoon,you put those to together for the next 5-6 seasons I only for see greatness.

Play making to Desert he is the only LBer in the draft that makes plays 30-40 yards away from the LOS.Anytime this guy is near the ball something always happens I really like this guy and once he gets his defecencies soughted he'll be an All-Pro for a decade.

We have to trade up most probably to get the guy I want.

FA will be a key indicator I really hope they resign our guys and get either a FA DE or DT up in here.

Then possibly my guy Ogletree comes into play.

Yeah, I still think that Daryl Smith makes sense as a replacement for Peterson, b/c of the Mike Smith connection.

Guest Negatorris

I like Khaseem Greene and Arthur Brown. Both will most likely be taken in the 2nd. Then there's Vince Williams, who's an underrated prospect. Like him a lot too.

By round, who I'd take if available:

1) Dion Jordan or Barkevious Mingo if they slip, almost solely based on upside. We'd be stupid to let one of them get away. Besides them, no one.

2) Khaseem Greene is my first choice as a pure OLB in 4-3 and ILB in 3-4. He should have a great career with whoever gets him. Arthur Brown is good too, but not as good as a pass rusher.

3) Kiko Alonso. Sio Moore would be even better if he slips. Chase Thomas is intriguing, but hugely risky.

4) Keith Pough and Zaviar Gooden could be good, though they're a bit raw.

5) Vince Williams, no question.

6) Cameron Lawrence is worth a look as a 3-4 OLB.

7) Maybe Justin Tuggle because of the association...that's about it.

Terrible ILB class this year, which sucks for us. Brown and Greene might be able to take on an ILB role, and both Alonso and Williams have good upside at the position. OLB is strong early and gets weak pretty fast, not many sure things after the second round and even the projects are a bit weak after the fourth.

By round, who I'd take if available:

1) Dion Jordan or Barkevious Mingo if they slip, almost solely based on upside. We'd be stupid to let one of them get away. Besides them, no one.

2) Khaseem Greene is my first choice as a pure OLB in 4-3 and ILB in 3-4. He should have a great career with whoever gets him. Arthur Brown is good too, but not as good as a pass rusher.

3) Kiko Alonso. Sio Moore would be even better if he slips. Chase Thomas is intriguing, but hugely risky.

4) Keith Pough and Zaviar Gooden could be good, though they're a bit raw.

5) Vince Williams, no question.

6) Cameron Lawrence is worth a look as a 3-4 OLB.

7) Maybe Justin Tuggle because of the association...that's about it.

Terrible ILB class this year, which sucks for us. Brown and Greene might be able to take on an ILB role, and both Alonso and Williams have good upside at the position. OLB is strong early and gets weak pretty fast, not many sure things after the second round and even the projects are a bit weak after the fourth.

I agree, the more scouting stuff I read, the more Lofton-type players I see that are physical, but stiff and/or lack awareness and range.

I like Mingo and Greene. Brown I'm pretty good with but would prefer Greene. I think after the combine Greene, Brown, and Alonso will all be projected about the same. IMO to get a good LB we're going to have to use our 2nd rd pick to get one, most likely. Guess you're not a fan of Minter? I'm not as high on him as I used to be, not sure he'll be as physical as he needs to be, seems more of a block slipper than a block shedder, which might get him into trouble at the NFL level where it won't be as easy to elude blockers. Seems pretty instinctive and rangy enough to cover well, though. Kind of hoping we take Alonso or Greene with our #60, I think either one could be a pretty big help. We can do CB or OG, or even RB in the 3rd and get a good player there that should contribute right away.

Edited by Desert_Falcon

I agree, the more scouting stuff I read, the more Lofton-type players I see that are physical, but stiff and/or lack awareness and range.

I like Mingo and Greene. Brown I'm pretty good with but would prefer Greene. I think after the combine Greene, Brown, and Alonso will all be projected about the same. IMO to get a good LB we're going to have to use our 2nd rd pick to get one, most likely. Guess you're not a fan of Minter? I'm not as high on him as I used to be, not sure he'll be as physical as he needs to be, seems more of a block slipper than a block shedder, which might get him into trouble at the NFL level where it won't be as easy to elude blockers. Seems pretty instinctive and rangy enough to cover well, though. Kind of hoping we take Alonso or Greene with our #60, I think either one could be a pretty big help. We can do CB or OG, or even RB in the 3rd and get a good player there that should contribute right away.

I agree. By the way, it's not that I'm not high on Minter, it's just that the ILB class sucks this year and we have more important things to worry about in the first than ILB, but other teams (Ravens, Bengals) need an ILB and I don't see Minter being there for our 60. Either way I'd take Greene over him. Mingo and Jordan are exceptions in the 1st since, if they slip, they have an upside that you can't find later in the draft - and they're our answer to so many questions. Who covers the fast, tall TEs? How do we get a pass rush? Where's that dynamic player in the defense that takes it up a notch? Mingo and Jordan. But Greene, imho, is simultaneously the most realistic player we can get and one of the most game-changing.