Matt Ryan / Red Zone

g-dawg

Me and my best friend were talking Falcons on the phone this morning - we have these conversations about 2-3 times/week - generally 80% Falcons, 20% life.

Today we were talking draft, free agency,etc. then we got on Matt Ryan - both of us love Matty Ice and recognize him to be a very good QB and we are glad Falcons have him.

David(that's my friend) said, "Matt's really good at getting Falcons in field goal range at end of games but not in getting Touchdowns". The more I thought of it, he's 100% right. Matt has so many game winning drives for Falcons that we take it for granted - but when you start playing the tape of them in your head, they are mostly field goals. This year we lost to Saints/Niners in the final minutes when we could not punch in from inside the 10yd line. Sure part of this is the lack of running game - but think there is more to it than that. (I'm not saying run QB draws at 5yd line, i'm saying use your feet a little more to buy time).

Matt is a better athlete than he shows - for some reason, he's just very tentative when he runs - that hurts in the red zone, his lack of aggressiveness to pull the ball down and run sometimes - obviously we don't want our franchise QB to get pummelled running the ball - but think he could do a little more. I've seen him take dives on the hashmarks sometimes when he could have easily got another 5 yards and the first down marker as well.

Matt improved the deep ball in 2012 and did better in the muddled pocket. In 2013, I would like to see Matt become just a TAD more aggressive in buying that extra second or two he needs to make a few more big plays in the passing game - and - every now and then, take off running and get out of bounds rather than falling on the ground.

I always get the feeling that Matt can get us 300yds and 2.5 TDs/game but he's never going to "cut the heart out" of the other team with 400yds and 3TDs/game. Seemed like we "rested" on offense in the 2nd half of both those playoff games.

Matt threw for 4,700yds and 32TDs this year. I think he can do better - but he's going to have to become even more aggressive and find ways to make more plays.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if he'll throw for a ton of more yards but I believe turner had like 10 rushing TD's that'll be gone I think he'll have more TD's not so sure about yards it really depends on weather TG comes back and if not do we sign a Dustin Keller or draft Eifert or Ertz if we take someone late I'm not so sure they can fill that void left by TG

If we take Eifert and Quizz is the starter I see 40+ TD's and about the same amount of yards maybe a little more

It's the mindset that's lacking G-Dawg. Ryan gets too timid when playing with huge leads and in the redzone. Or as I like to call it, his lack of killer instinct.

While I agree we have some issues putting teams "away", it couldn't possibly have anything to do with our defense completely crumbling and unable to even slow a team down in the second half of 2 games in the playoffs... could it????

How can he have no "killer instinct" yet be able to rip a teams heart out in the final drive of countless games over his short career?

Redzone offense is tough, especially when you were as one dimensional as we were this year. Everyone has to be perfect, not just the Quarterback. I swear to the big man upstairs, we could average 60 points a game, be 3-13 and it would be all Ryan's fault.

Edited by SwampyMux12

It's the mindset that's lacking G-Dawg. Ryan gets too timid when playing with huge leads and in the redzone. Or as I like to call it, his lack of killer instinct.

Mindset I'm with you there wheather its play calling or whatever I agree with a 1,2,3 punch we have he should be looking at standing on peoples throats in the red zone and the NFCCG was a prime example have a look at those last 2 plays we ran inside of 12 yards not 1 ball went into the end zone.

Don't get me wrong its fixable though Matt also has to stop staring down WRer's aswell.

I'm not flustered though Ryan has shown me enough this last season to over come this and I think he'll be ok.

Edited by kiwifalcon

Let's remember had Matt won that game against the bucs he'd been right there for the MVP He may not have as good a year next year as he just did the schedule looks tougher so again I think it may be hard just for him to duplicate what he just did

I still see him improving somehow he has every year but he's really so good now he doesn't have much to get better at

Mindset I'm with you there wheather its play calling or whatever I agree with a 1,2,3 punch we have he should be looking at standing on peoples throats in the red zone and the NFCCG was a prime example have a look at those last 2 plays we ran inside of 12 yards not 12 ball went into the end zone.

Don't get me wrong its fixable though Matt also has to stop staring down WRer's aswell.

I'm not flustered though Ryan has shown me enough this last season to over come this and I think he'll be ok.

You say that but if Brooks doesn't make that play on the roll out Roddy walks in for a TD

i deff do see the d start lacking intensity toward the end of games and while thats a problem i cant entirely place the blame on them most of the time their back out on the field after a 3 and out before they get their wind back

For whatever reason, we tend to have at least one momentum killing 3 and out during a moment where we could either put the nail in the coffin, or give our def a chance to settle down, not sure why that is. However, we can ask our offense to be perfect all the time, there are going to be lulls, and a great team has a defense (or special teams) that can make plays and work through 3 and outs...

While I agree we have some issues putting teams "away", it couldn't possibly have anything to do with our defense completely crumbling and unable to even slow a team down in the second half of 2 games in the playoffs... could it????

How can he have no "killer instinct" yet be able to rip a teams heart out in the final drive of countless games over his short career?

Redzone offense is tough, especially when you were as one dimensional as we were this year. Everyone has to be perfect, not just the Quarterback. I swear to the big man upstairs, we could average 60 points a game, be 3-13 and it would be all Ryan's fault.

I think its not a killer instinct its just that we struggle to mix the run and pass together because if our OL doesn't execute right then we have run plays being blown up.

And some people may point to the running game in the pass yea we had maybe the best blocking FB in football in Ovi

In the redzone the deep threat (which our receivers rely on) goes away, and teams can play them tight on the short routes. Really getting his 7 yard jump ball patterns in sync with Julio (High slant, Fade, Dig etc.) will help this a lot.

I think the OG is right about the tentativeness in the redzone, but I think it has to do with knowing a sack inside the 15 or so is devastating, combined with a line that doesn't have ability to hold. 2nd and 18 from the 19 is seldom converted. It's noticeable that he tries to get the ball out that much more quickly down there.

I think a bit of specific pattern training w the WRs, and a decent RG/running game make all the difference there, both from run/pass threat and holding the pocket. Combine that with pocket resets (not a full rollout limiting the field, but scrambling 5 yards, resetting and throwing) should make a big positive difference.

I love the people who criticize Matt for his shortcomings but without him we are the Jacksonville Jags or KC Chiefs...

Matt is a very good QB - but with our defensive talent - he has to be Joe Montana - Matt has to be perfect with our lousy defense. Matt is far from perfection right now.

He's dayum good - but if we don't get our defense turned around "dayumed good" is nowhere near close enough.

Just being honest... I think its our D and sometimes our run game... Dont really see Matt as the problem....

In the redzone... Teams that are very balance (have a consistent running game... Teams dont know when you are going to run or pass) .. With us... Turner not being what he was... Teams were not afriad of the running game.. They knew we had to pass the ball.. I agree with the rotoworld break down on the run game... Ive looked at a couple of games recently... Our Online wasnt the best run blocking group las year but i would see Turner dance same in the backfield or showed no burst hitting a hole hard... Turner was special here as a runner when he first got here but time has caught up to him.. He is not the same back.

If we can have a more threating running game... We will be better in the red zone.... Thats why i get the Eddy Lacy thing... Dude here would be special but we cant use a 1st round pick on a RB.

With the killer instinct thing.. I think thats on our D.... Why the colts were so good is because when Peyton got the lead.... Freeney and Mathis got a chance to hunt QB's.... Created sacks, fumbles , and ints.... Got the ball back to their offense on short field... Which helps put teams away.... If we go up by 17 and force a team to have to pass.... I expect our D to get our Offense a short field with a turn over.... You cant look for your offense to do everything.... Especially in the playoffs... You need a D that can create a turn over when a team is in a must pass situation.... Every team the 49ers played in the playoffs got Kaep to have a int except us...

A interesting article that i read.. ill post it if i see it again... Ryan had the worst starting field position of any QB in the playoffs why Flacco had the best... Rather it was by returns, punts, or turnovers.... My point is.... To win championships... You need your D to give you something in the Turnover area... To me.. Thats whats stopping our Killer Instinct.

Just being honest... I think its our D and sometimes our run game... Dont really see Matt as the problem....

In the redzone... Teams that are very balance (have a consistent running game... Teams dont know when you are going to run or pass) .. With us... Turner not being what he was... Teams were not afriad of the running game.. They knew we had to pass the ball.. I agree with the rotoworld break down on the run game... Ive looked at a couple of games recently... Our Online wasnt the best run blocking group las year but i would see Turner dance same in the backfield or showed no burst hitting a hole hard... Turner was special here as a runner when he first got here but time has caught up to him.. He is not the same back.

If we can have a more threating running game... We will be better in the red zone.... Thats why i get the Eddy Lacy thing... Dude here would be special but we cant use a 1st round pick on a RB.

With the killer instinct thing.. I think thats on our D.... Why the colts were so good is because when Peyton got the lead.... Freeney and Mathis got a chance to hunt QB's.... Created sacks, fumbles , and ints.... Got the ball back to their offense on short field... Which helps put teams away.... If we go up by 17 and force a team to have to pass.... I expect our D to get our Offense a short field with a turn over.... You cant look for your offense to do everything.... Especially in the playoffs... You need a D that can create a turn over when a team is in a must pass situation.... Every team the 49ers played in the playoffs got Kaep to have a int except us...

A interesting article that i read.. ill post it if i see it again... Ryan had the worst starting field position of any QB in the playoffs why Flacco had the best... Rather it was by returns, punts, or turnovers.... My point is.... To win championships... You need your D to give you something in the Turnover area... To me.. Thats whats stopping our Killer Instinct.

Really like your post. But I think Matt does lack the 'killer instinct' that you see in some of the other good QBs. But I don't think it is all his fault. I think it comes from Smith and with the old OC as well. If Smith can forget about the pen and pad when someone gets a penalty and continue coaching, they can maintain that level of explosiveness we see in the first half of games.

Really like your post. But I think Matt does lack the 'killer instinct' that you see in some of the other good QBs. But I don't think it is all his fault. I think it comes from Smith and with the old OC as well. If Smith can forget about the pen and pad when someone gets a penalty and continue coaching, they can maintain that level of explosiveness we see in the first half of games.

did Matt ever have a killer instinct in college?

We have put a lot of teams away in the last five years. With FGs and TDs.

In fact, we've put more teams away over that span than anybody in the NFC, and maybe even anybody in the AFC, not named New England.

Many game winning drives are under the 2:00 mark and end in FGs.

Yes we could do better in the playoffs, but we took a giant leap for Falcon mankind against SEA and SF this year.

If Dimi and company can navigate this offseason, we should get another shot. Even with a tougher schedule and roster changes.