What To Do With William Moore - Re-Sign, Franchise Or Let Walk?

g-dawg

I have gone back-n-forth about what to do with William Moore. Obviously he was a 2nd round draft choice and is one of the more talented guys on our defense. Willy Mo started out slow (and hurt) his rookie year but has really stepped up his game the last two years and was a pro-bowler this year.

As much as I love Willy Mo - he has been injured every year - maybe there was one year when he was not hurt but I don't think so.

I am not willing to commit LONG TERM dollars to a very good - but not great - player that cannot stay healthy. On the flip side, I don't want to see Willy Mo go somewhere else and blossom and stay healthy for the rest of his career.

I believe the prudent thing to do would be to "split the baby". Franchise tag William Moore for 1 year (franchise tag is not crazy at $6.8million). This gives Dimitroff/Smith one more year of controlling the player and more info. to decide if the franchise wants to commit to Moore long term. It also gives the Falcons one more year to evaluate the Charles Mitchell (6th round-2012) to see if they think he would be adequate replacement.

I'm sure if Falcons re-signed Moore to a long-term deal it would probably be something like 4yrs, $23million and the cap hit might be a few million less this year - but I don't think that is the right move.

G-Dawg Take: Franchise Willy Mo. and kick the can down the road one more year.

What say you?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resign him to a good deal were both sides can be happy. Then hope C Mitchell is ready to step in if Moore misses a gm or 2.

why would you re-sign Moore when you can franchise him at reasonable number? How can you feel good about giving long-term money to a guy that cannot stay healthy - he and his agent are going to want a contract for the player he is on the field - not the one that misses 20% of his games.

Resign him or let him walk. Don't want to use the franchise tag at all. Cause if he balls out we will have to up his contract. If you think he will be great go ahead and sign him to a long term contract. If not let him walk

disagree. If we sign Willy Mo. it will be for a bigger number than you think. He's too risky. If you put a gun to my head and say "sign him or let him walk" I would let him walk.

why would you re-sign Moore when you can franchise him at reasonable number? How can you feel good about giving long-term money to a guy that cannot stay healthy - he and his agent are going to want a contract for the player he is on the field - not the one that misses 20% of his games.

I think that's why we could get him for a decent deal. He can't stay healthy. He's to good when healthy to just let walk. If he does get hurt I like what I have seen out of C Mitchell. Or we could always have a back up like a Hope or Sanders for cheap.

I think that's why we could get him for a decent deal. He can't stay healthy. He's to good when healthy to just let walk. If he does get hurt I like what I have seen out of C Mitchell. Or we could always have a back up like a Hope or Sanders for cheap.

I would not give William Moore more than $10 million in guaranteed money and probably like a 4yr, $20mm/yr. - he will want more - if someone gives him more in open market (and they will) - let him go.

disagree. If we sign Willy Mo. it will be for a bigger number than you think. He's too risky. If you put a gun to my head and say "sign him or let him walk" I would let him walk.

I think he will get a $7 mil a year contract. He isn't getting more than that this year. So no it's not bigger than the number I think. Let him walk. We can replace him.

I bet he will sign a 4 yr deal with ATL. I don't think ATL will franchise anyone, but if they did Moore would be it. Safety franchise tag is not awful.

the biggest Falcons free agents are Sam Baker/William Moore and both had their best years in their "walk years". I've seen this too many times in the A-T-L. Still have nightmares about the Braves Shortstop - Jeff Blauser. He did it to the Braves twice - his best two years were right before he was to become a free agent. We franchise Brent Grimes(achilles), Jamal Anderson(ACL injury), William Andrews(ACL).

None of those guys have to do w/ Willy Mo. but there are warning signs all over on Willy Mo.

He has missed 22 games in 4 years so he has missed 34% of the games. His rookie year was a wash(missed 14 games) but the last two years he has missed 8 games - so he is averaging missing 25% of the games the last two years.

He is CONSISTENTLY hurt - you can BOOK IT that Moore is going to miss 4 games a year.

I bet he will sign a 4 yr deal with ATL. I don't think ATL will franchise anyone, but if they did Moore would be it. Safety franchise tag is not awful.

I would offer William Moore 4yrs, $20million with $10 million guaranteed. If he turns it down, I would franchise him.

If Moore misses two or more games in 2013, I would let him walk the year after unless he is playing at a Polamalu/Reed level.

the biggest Falcons free agents are Sam Baker/William Moore and both had their best years in their "walk years". I've seen this too many times in the A-T-L. Still have nightmares about the Braves Shortstop - Jeff Blauser. He did it to the Braves twice - his best two years were right before he was to become a free agent. We franchise Brent Grimes(achilles), Jamal Anderson(ACL injury), William Andrews(ACL).

None of those guys have to do w/ Willy Mo. but there are warning signs all over on Willy Mo.

He has missed 22 games in 4 years so he has missed 34% of the games. His rookie year was a wash(missed 14 games) but the last two years he has missed 8 games - so he is averaging missing 25% of the games the last two years.

He is CONSISTENTLY hurt - you can BOOK IT that Moore is going to miss 4 games a year.

Consistently????? Miss 4 games???? Out of 17 weeks? I say keep him.

Think it would be better to bring him back, versus trying to have somebody else replace him. I think we would take a step down from the position then with someone new having to learn the playbook, develop chemistry with the team, and if its a rookie - get acclimated to the NFL in general. So i think it would be best to resign Moore.

An contract with a low base salary, but large bonuses for playing time or staying healthy would be our best bet to give Moore and protect ourselves incase a possible injury.