Best Player Available Approach

Thoughts on drafting BPA at pick #30 in the following positions which need improvement: DE, DT, OLB, RB, CB, TE ,OG. The top rated player on the Falcon board at ANY of these positions would be selected at #30. We are at a point where need a "can't miss", impact player and one at any of these positions would significantly improve an already good team. Draft best player-- not position.

If the BPA doesn't fall in one of the following areas keep in mind, the draft is deep at DT, DE and RB which fit Atlanta's need. It has been frequently mentioned, that the OL may be significantly improved with changes with players already on the team. Same is true with TE with Coffman and Palmer, especially if we get a WR who can play the slot well and be backup to Roddy and Julio.

There is, understandably, endless speculation about whether Atlanta should take a DE or DT, or OG, TE, even RB, CB, and OLB with the 30th pick. This approach would allow us to get the BP at any of these positions and still get players who can contribute through, at least, Round #4.

I'm honestly at the point where I believe that no matter what position we get in what round really matters as long as it is the best player available I won't be disapointed. We got alot of holes that need to be filled and we're not going to fill them all. I don't expect this team to win a Superbowl next year but as long as we cut the fat and take some impact players in free agency and the draft and then DEVELOP those guys into our system, then I do expect us to win a Superbowl within 3 years. It doesn't matter what position we go for in FA or draft as long as it is the right player then I am good with it.

BPA recognizing what has depth in the draft is what I'd do. If there are a lot of good 2nd and 3rd round DTs, and few 2nd to 3rd round OGs, and you have a slightly better DT than OG on the board, you probably go OG, so your board still lets you get a really good DT.

I really don't want an OLB in the 1st. And would prefer no RB or TE (though we can live with them). But of DT, DE, OG, maybe CB...have at it. And if a TE or RB who is head and shoulders above those more premium positions is there, pull the trigger on them.

I'm honestly at the point where I believe that no matter what position we get in what round really matters as long as it is the best player available I won't be disapointed. We got alot of holes that need to be filled and we're not going to fill them all. I don't expect this team to win a Superbowl next year but as long as we cut the fat and take some impact players in free agency and the draft and then DEVELOP those guys into our system, then I do expect us to win a Superbowl within 3 years. It doesn't matter what position we go for in FA or draft as long as it is the right player then I am good with it.

We're in just as good of shape to win SB next year as we would be 3 years down the road. 3 years from now we won't have TG (if he even comes back), Asante, or Abe. Not to say we won't have different impact players at their positions.

Just feel the time is now so if we can get let's say Freeney in FA then do it... Sign BPA at position of need at # 1 and feel in the gaps with the rest of the draft. Need OLB, RB, and OL as well in this draft if we sign a vet DE. Big DT would be nice too

BPA normally works out well for the teams employing this approach to drafting. We should take the BPA at a position of need to ensure we are not waisting a pick on a position of strength. We should go heavy D in the draft and add a RB and OG. I would go DE, OG, DT, LB depending on what we do in FA.

the only thing about BPA is that its just an opinion. who would be BPA at 30. i think there could be about 5-10 players that could fall in that category.. i would say TD should follow his big board and who evers at the top of that list is who they should draft

BPA is a philosophy, as opposed to drafting strictly for need

Jesus negative Nancy we were just in the ******* NFC championship, really?

Let's say Lacy is the best play available. Take him at #30. Then at #60, Frederick is the BPA. Ok, cool you've fixed your rushing attack and OLine. Are any of you cool with going with Abe, Kroy, Matthews, Mass and a 3rd round rookie DE and 4th round rookie DT into next season? Then you look up and we still need front 7 help in the 2014 draft.

It's a decent argument, until you actually think about our lack of pass rush again. Is Lacy good enough to ignore our pass rush? No.

Thoughts on drafting BPA at pick #30 in the following positions which need improvement: DE, DT, OLB, RB, CB, TE ,OG. The top rated player on the Falcon board at ANY of these positions would be selected at #30. We are at a point where need a "can't miss", impact player and one at any of these positions would significantly improve an already good team. Draft best player-- not position.

If the BPA doesn't fall in one of the following areas keep in mind, the draft is deep at DT, DE and RB which fit Atlanta's need. It has been frequently mentioned, that the OL may be significantly improved with changes with players already on the team. Same is true with TE with Coffman and Palmer, especially if we get a WR who can play the slot well and be backup to Roddy and Julio.

There is, understandably, endless speculation about whether Atlanta should take a DE or DT, or OG, TE, even RB, CB, and OLB with the 30th pick. This approach would allow us to get the BP at any of these positions and still get players who can contribute through, at least, Round #4.

Yup posted this yesterday if you don't make the right pick it could set you back 3-4 years at that position. I've always been a guy who's says you go best available 1st and 2nd rounds then fill needs after and threw free agency.

Take the ravens for instance last year they took Courtney Upshaw to replace Kruger if he leaves you can say the same thing when they took Ngata and Suggs they were the best players on the board.

3 targets I like at #30, Lacy, Trufant, any of the premium DEs or OLBers that happen to fall ....get BPA there, and class is deep with D-line ...

^^^^^^^^^

This is how I'm feeling about now tick your 3 worst positions of need if the guy is still there in anyone of those 3 positions thanks for coming at #30.

I like the idea of BPA --- now in the 6th draft by this staff

but you have to be reasonable

if Geno Smith QB, C. Patterson WR, and Ansah DE are all on the board at #30

you take Ansah even if he is NOT BPA

Well I think that's an easy chose because Ansah could be a JJP type player very good

I think the question is do you think a guy like Alex Okafor will be a better player than say Tyler Eifert

who's been compared to Jimmy Graham a pro bowl type player. Some people are high on either guy I'd take Eifert simply because I believe he's the surer pick to seceded at the next level and would fill a need.

The best case would be if Warmack feel to us at 30 but I'd believe the packers would snag him if he started to fall which isn't going to happen.

Edited by joe 1982

I basically said the same thing, but limited it to the front 7. We can't be taking OG or RB in the first. We have shown offensively we can get by without a great running game, and IMO no turner = more touches for Quizz = instantly more productive run game. IMO there is really good value in the 3rd at OG. Same with RB...in fact, RB, TE, and OG could all be addressed in rds 3-4. That said, we can't address everything with the draft, we definitely need a FA or 2 , preferably a RB or TE IMO since we already kind of know what we have with them at the NFL level.

I think we will address the pass rush in FA. BPA in the draft.

A buddy of mine from Seattle called me yesterday to tell me that rumor is us and the Seahawks are both wooing Freeney. I was like dude u can have him we need a DE that's going to be around for awhile he was like thanks LOL. He makes more sense for Seattle who is already a young team and just needs a few vet pieces to get them further into the playoffs IMO

A buddy of mine from Seattle called me yesterday to tell me that rumor is us and the Seahawks are both wooing Freeney. I was like dude u can have him we need a DE that's going to be around for awhile he was like thanks LOL. He makes more sense for Seattle who is already a young team and just needs a few vet pieces to get them further into the playoffs IMO

For cheap, I'd take Freeney in a heartbeat. I actually tossed this idea earlier in the offseason. He's already been paid so he won't want a massive deal. He's normally a healthy guy. He is not a 3-4 OLB. Let him pin his ears back. He's a closer.

For cheap, I'd take Freeney in a heartbeat. I actually tossed this idea earlier in the offseason. He's already been paid so he won't want a massive deal. He's normally a healthy guy. He is not a 3-4 OLB. Let him pin his ears back. He's a closer.

won't someone overpay the F out of him though? every year it seems like 3/4 of the free agents get like twice what they're worth because some desperate team does something stupid. with our cap the way it is we would need to be awful careful about signing him. an interesting thought I read somewhere was that what if we don't retain baker and draft a LT? might be dumb unless we maybe we just moves holmes there and cross our fingers that he handles it. Honestly I am REALLY nervous about baker both staying healthy AND playing at a high level given his history. the law of averages says that if we are counting on that, we are probably going to be screwed next year.

Somebody straightened me out on the terminology a few years ago.

Drafting the BPA at positions of greatest need is called BPV Best Player Value.

In 08 we had no QB and no RT.

Hence the drafting of Ryan and Baker.

Same thing when we drafter Jerry.

Ravens jumped up and snagged Oher, and this left Jerry as the BPV.

To bad that as Jerry's knee went, so did Jerry.

Shyt happens.